PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Katrina-damaged bandsaw repair

Rusty Quinn
03-09-2013, 6:00 PM
Trying to get my Delta 14-inch bandsaw going again. The sliding bracket that holds the shaft for the upper wheel seems awfully loose. Not vertically, but laterally. This results in the shaft hanging several degrees below horizontal. Is there a way to tighten this up, or has it been irreversibly damaged? An oak tree fell on my shop back in 2005.

John Piwaron
03-09-2013, 6:17 PM
I went to my shop and looked at mine which I assume is similar to yours.

I don't see any obvious way of adjusting it's fit to the assembly from the back. Perhaps from inside after removing the wheel. Some disassembly and study of the parts may reveal the problem. If a tree fell on your shop and this saw was somehow affected, then parts may be broken.

Delta may have repair parts. Or not, depending on if rumors of Delta parts availability are true. This is a common saw design, perhaps a part from a Jet or other similar saw would fit.

There are also aftermarket sources to consider. Iturra design? Did I spell their name right?

David Hostetler
03-11-2013, 9:47 AM
You are just now getting to fixing the Hurricane Katrina damage to your band saw? You don't use your bandsaw much do you?

All joking aside, yeah I would check with Iturra Design. If anyone knows what makes a bandsaw do its thing, it's those guys...

Rusty Quinn
03-11-2013, 12:34 PM
You are just now getting to fixing the Hurricane Katrina damage to your band saw? You don't use your bandsaw much do you?
Well, first I had to rebuild the shop. Besides, my motto is "Slow, but Unsteady".

UPDATE: found out the upper axle is supposed to be loose. The blade-tracking adjusting screws were way out of whack. Putting a new blade on and getting it tracking corrected the "problem".

Gus Dundon
03-11-2013, 3:59 PM
It must be the upper wheel shaft assembly. Does it look like this? 256707

John Piwaron
03-11-2013, 4:53 PM
Excellent! Glad to hear that it's working again.

I thought some of my stuff went slowly. :)

Rusty Quinn
03-11-2013, 6:44 PM
Thanks, John.
Gus, sort of. Here are some pics I found on the web.256721256722