PDA

View Full Version : Gorilla glue

ray hampton
03-09-2013, 5:10 PM
I glue two pcs of wood yesterday BUT ONLY after I broke a hole in the shin-coat on top of the glue, DO ANYONE have suggestion on making a box to store glue in ? I could store it in the fridge but am afraid that a child would get into it unless it are under lock & key which is why I need the box

Gordon Eyre
03-09-2013, 6:27 PM
What happened to the bottle that it came in? Normally you would just keep the unused portion in the original container and store it at room temperature. It will last a good long time that way. How old is your glue. After long storage it may develop a skim coat on the top. Putting in a box will not stop that from happening.

Mel Fulks
03-09-2013, 6:27 PM
I like PCV pipe with caps on both ends and silica gel from medicine bottles dropped in.

Lee Schierer
03-09-2013, 6:51 PM
I store my urethane glue bottle upside down. That way the air that gets in forms a skin near the bottom of the bottle while the glue stays fresh near the nozzle. I bored a hole in a piece of 2 x 4 that fits the nozzle and top of the bottle to hold it upside down. Cold polyurethane glue is thicker than molasses and is hard to work with.

Another hint. If you don't like the foaming, don't dampen your pieces before applying the glue. There is enough moisture in the air and in the wood to cure the glue. It will just take a bit longer to set up, but you won't have as much foam to clean up.

ray hampton
03-09-2013, 10:29 PM
What happened to the bottle that it came in? Normally you would just keep the unused portion in the original container and store it at room temperature. It will last a good long time that way. How old is your glue. After long storage it may develop a skim coat on the top. Putting in a box will not stop that from happening.

The glue still in the store bottle, and I do not know how old it is, will the sunshine affect it if it are on a shelf in front of a window

Greg Portland
03-11-2013, 5:51 PM
You can buy cans of inert gas. For long term storage give the glue (or finish) bottle a shot of the stuff before storing.

ray hampton
03-11-2013, 8:48 PM
You can buy cans of inert gas. For long term storage give the glue (or finish) bottle a shot of the stuff before storing.

IF you are unable to keep the air out, How will you keep the inert gas in the bottle

Mel Fulks
03-11-2013, 9:00 PM
Ray,when I posted about the PVC I figured you were talking about the big bottle. Anyway that bottle in container with silica gel method works .You can just squeeze out any air in the bottle before putting the top on and placing it in the extra container.

ray hampton
03-11-2013, 10:42 PM
Ray,when I posted about the PVC I figured you were talking about the big bottle. Anyway that bottle in container with silica gel method works .You can just squeeze out any air in the bottle before putting the top on and placing it in the extra container.

from the bottle bottom to the cap bottom are roughly 5 " from the bottom to the glue line are 4 ", the bottle held 8 ounces once, one bottle is all that I got or I could use a bag of foil to store glue in , PVC pipe will be on order next trip to store , I hear about squeezing the bottle to force the air out but this do not mean that I will remember when it are needed