PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Change A G1023RL Series Serpentine Belt?

Bill Space
03-09-2013, 4:19 PM
Hi,

I am in the process of setting up my new G1023RLX and got to the point where I did a test cut and afterwards looked at the manual a little closer... WOW, it sure looks like changing the serpentine belt will be a nightmare when the time comes!

Then I faintly remember reading a comment where someone mentioned that the belt can be changed more easily than the Grizzly manual indicates. But I failed to find anything regarding the belt change when searching this site (probably due to poor search skills).

So I thought I would ask: Is the process as involved as the manual indicates? Or is there a simpler way to accomplish the task? This is one detail that I failed to consider when deciding to purchase this saw.

Has anyone here at SMC changed one of these belts? If so please let us know how it went! Or if anyone has a link to a previous thread that I could not find, please do post it.

I am pretty happy with the saw. The only problem I have discovered is the miter gauge bar was bent slightly, and would not run through the table slots without a lot of force being applied. After a bit of head scratching I laid the bar on its side on the saw table and determined it was bent enough to bind. Another older miter gauge I have works smoothly...Grizzly is supplying a replacement, actually a different miter gauge assembly from a different saw as they will not have the one that came with the saw in stock for another month. I am good with that...

Thanks!

Bill

Cary Falk
03-09-2013, 6:48 PM
Bill,
That was my comment in one of my threads, but I don't remember which one. Remove the blade shroud and check for yourself. I don't remember what else that had to be done but it wasn't much more once you have the blade shroud our of the way.
Cary

Jim Tabor
03-09-2013, 7:51 PM
Bill,
I also recently bought a 1023RL and while reading the manual during set-up I found it hard to believe you have to disassemble the arbor to change the belt. Grizzly must feel the belt will last for many years as they suggest that you also change the arbor bearings at the same time. I’m going to be interested in the responses to you’re question. Jim

Cary Falk
03-09-2013, 8:50 PM
Check the bottom picture in post #23 of this thread.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?147080-My-G1023RL-review/page2&highlight=shroud

Jim Tabor
03-09-2013, 9:20 PM
Cary,
Thanks, why in the world would the manual say remove the arbor if it's not necessary? oh well......

Cary Falk
03-09-2013, 9:56 PM
Unless I am completely missing something, I don't know. The manuallooks to be pretty good otherwise(not that I have read it:rolleyes:).

Bill Space
03-10-2013, 4:04 AM
Thanks Cary!!!

The picture you posted in the thread you referred to above answers the question.

Not that big of a deal apparently.

I enjoyed reading the entire thread. It is probably the one I was thinking of.

Thanks again!

Bill

Bill Space
03-13-2013, 7:59 PM
Hi Guys,

Again, thanks for the pointers!

Interestingly, no one actually mentioned having changed a belt on the G1023 series. Unless Cary did...but it sounded more like he looked to see how to do it.

After reading Cary's thread I took a good look at my saw and came to the same conclusion, no need to remove the table top, just do what Cary suggested and the belt change should be relatively easy.

But since no one mentioned having to change their serpentine belts, and seeing that the serpentine belt was still in good shape on my Ford Van when changed at about 120,000 miles (and MUCH worse environment) I expect the belt on my saw may outlast me (Certainly hope not, but...) !!!

Bill