PDA

View Full Version : Strange Jack Plane

steven c newman
03-09-2013, 3:53 PM
Went out on a Rust Hunt today. Most of what was out there was over-priced junk. Found a "Worth" #3, with the bottle cap adjuster. How much? $17.50 PLUS tax!:eek: Hmm, I think I will pass on that one:D Another store, one could smell the rusties on the way in the store. Went all through the store, where is it? Looked down on a bottom shelf... ah, there it is. How much? "$10" Hmm, would you take $8? Sold! for $8+tax. Red body, and not from rust. Cast into the base near the front knob..."CORSAIR" ok, maybe something decent here???:eek:256503 handles were in great shape. No cracks or chip-outs. Sole will need some work256504 Took things apart, just to look at the frog, iron and such.256505 Ok, ONE BOLT in the frog? That's it? One bolt? I looked the iron over, seems on the back side is what is left of a Stanley clipped corner logo. Not out front where it can be seen, either. Chip breaker is as thick as the iron. Lever cap does have a spring to help lock it down. Sharpened, and flattened the iron a bit256506 tested it on some pine. I may refinish the handles, touch up the red paint, and then see what I have. Length is 13-3/4" long, iron is 2" wide. Just a Jack Plane???:confused:

Jim Belair
03-09-2013, 5:59 PM
Looks like a pretty heavy casting. Bit of a disappointment in the frog department but if it works, it works, and the price was right...

steven c newman
03-12-2013, 6:49 PM
Handles have been cleaned off, and a coat of BLO applied.256790iron is now sharpened back up, and has an 8" radius to it256791 As The Schwarz would call it, just a common Jack plane.

steven c newman
03-13-2013, 5:21 PM
Camber is done256883Looks like it is ready to take a few big bites. Plane is a decent sized one256884 That is a Union #5A sitting behind it. Not a whole lot of difference. Might be a user...

Rodney Walker
03-14-2013, 12:32 PM
From what I can see after a brief search, Corsairs were made by Great Neck. Red ones like yours appear to be the older version with newer versions going downhill in quality. Yours should be a good user though I probably wouldn't bother with their newer stuff.

As an aside, seeing the Corsair and the Union sitting next to one another, I'd reach for the Union first. Rosewood and black japanning speaks louder to me than red paint and hardwood.
Rodney

steven c newman
03-14-2013, 12:38 PM
Union didn't use Rosewood, the wood they used started with an "M", as in Mahoganey (sp) The Corsair's seem to be a Beech for their handles.

As for the later planes, IF they have them plastic handles,,, STAY AWAY! DAMHIKT! Black or a brown colour plastic with the finger grip tote. Bad news!

steven c newman
03-16-2013, 8:44 PM
Ok, new coat of paint on this Cyclopian Jack Plane257231 Seems bass ackwards from a "Normal" plane, don't it? Most have a Black base casting, with a red frog? This one is a Black frog, with a RED base. iron is a cambered 8" radius, and quite sharp. Frog will actually sit nice and solid, and not even a wiggle in use. Handles have just a coat of BLO on them, after I stripped off the old, nasty finish. Whatever THAT stuff was, it was quite thick on the wood, and very nasty to the nose. Not sure which smelled worse, the old finish as it was coming off the wood, or the BLO as it was going back on. Yuck! Both were stanky! Anyway, not too hateful for an $8 Jack Plane??