PDA

View Full Version : Little Cedar Vase

John Hart
05-07-2005, 7:32 PM
I had some old cedar fence posts left over from building my fence in the back yard so I decided to lop off a piece of one and give'r a try. It turned out better than I expected. It's 3.25" diameter and 4.5" tall. I experiemented a bit with the finish...Put down a couple of applications of BLO then mixed up BLO, Floor Poly, and Acetone....2 coats. I still haven't tried polishing yet. Probably next time. Thanks for looking!

Mark Singer
05-07-2005, 7:39 PM
John,

It is a similar shape to the shlamaca vase which is still my favorite cedar is a nice wood and you did a great job.....some things are special....some woods are rare...your ice cream dish was beautiful...I didn't want to mention it....but, I couln't take it anymore!.. Hay que rico!:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Carole Valentine
05-07-2005, 8:24 PM
Good job, John. That does not look like our Aromatic Red Cedar. Is it Western Red Cedar? The grain sort of looks like the Western Red that I use to make blue bird houses.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-07-2005, 8:46 PM
John, that looks great! And to think we just threw away probably 15 post cut offs! DOH!

John Hart
05-07-2005, 8:54 PM
Mark..you're a poet...'course then, I never did understand poetry.

Carole...I really don't know what kind of cedar it is, but I was under the understanding that it was Spanish Cedar by it's unfinished color and the very light aroma...I actually thought I could use it in humidors. The BLO really darkened it.

Jeff....I almost threw mine away too, but decided to keep them "just in case". They've been laying out in the garage for about 3 years. Glad I tried it!

Thanks all!

Carole Valentine
05-08-2005, 12:15 AM
Doesn't look like Spanish Cedar to me. I've worked quite a bit of that stuff. One way you can tell is the Spanish Cedar dust in the air leaves a REALLY bitter taste in your mouth! LOL In my experience, Western has a milder aroma than either Spanish or Eastern. Actually I belive Spanish Cedar is a deciduous tree and a member of the mahogany family, not related to our cedars at all.

Ernie Nyvall
05-08-2005, 11:33 AM
Good looking vase John. I find myself keeping various scraps since I got this spinny thing.

Ernie

Glenn Hodges
05-08-2005, 2:59 PM
Nice lines John, I really like the rim.

Bruce Shiverdecker
05-08-2005, 3:03 PM
Very NICE John. Cedar is VERY nice to work.

Bruce

John Hart
05-08-2005, 3:57 PM
Thanks all....I'm trying to get my smoothness in the curve transistions down better. This stuff is great to play with...although, it's kinda dry and you have to sharpen often.

Carole, now that you mention it, I do remember reading somewhere that Spanish Cedar is a misnomer that stuck for all time and that you're right...it's some kind of mahogany. I'll probably never know what kind of cedar this is other than "fence post cedar". :rolleyes:

Carole Valentine
05-08-2005, 11:34 PM
Hey - who cares what it is unless you need to identify it for a sale! It looks good, it smells good and it's fun to turn!:D Make shavings!