PDA

View Full Version : New to me D4 Leigh dovetail jig with old style vacuum attachment

Jim Andrew
03-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Bought a nice D4 Leigh jig, and it included a vac attachment that attaches to the router. The PO said he used it on a PC router, and I have a couple 1 3/4 hp PC routers so figured it would fit. But when I try it, looks like it should fit in one of the holes made to put the optional fence on the router, but the rod measures 5/16 and the hole is about 9/32, so doesn't fit. Thought to drill out one of the holes, but wouldn't be good if you wanted to put a fence on the router. Looked at the Leigh book, and there are no instructions on using this dust attachment. So checked out the search, and found nothing on this one. There is some discussion of the new style that attaches to the jig itself. Does anyone use the old style vac attachment?

Randy Henry
03-09-2013, 3:44 PM
I have one, and I think it's worthless. Don't even use it no more. When it is adjusted correctly and getting the dust, it gets in the way and hinders the movement of the router. Until I get the attachment that bolts to the jig, my dust collection will consist of a broom and dust pan.

Jim Andrew
03-10-2013, 8:40 PM
Was hoping to get someone to reply who actually uses the vac attachment. I try to use vac attachments on every tool possible. Even screwed a flange on over the dust chute on my Makita skilsaw, and use it to put a straight edge on live edged boards. I have quite a few as I mill my own lumber, and don't bother edging the outside boards of a log.

Larry Frank
03-10-2013, 8:52 PM
I have also not had good luck with the vac attachment on the D4 and use the broom and dust pan. The chips from the router are large enough that I am not really worried about them. It is different when using tools such as a sander where the dust particles can be very small and hand in the air.

Denny Rice
03-10-2013, 9:31 PM
I have to agree with Randy and Larry here. I bought the thing for my jig, and it is worthless. Save your time and money and buy a good dustpan and broom mine is on the top shelf collecting dust and will stay there. I guess it would make a good paper weight.

Chris Rosenberger
03-10-2013, 9:49 PM
I bought one several years ago, as others have said it did not work well. It caused more problems than it solved.

Get the Leigh Vacuum Router Support. It is great on dust collection.