PDA

View Full Version : fence brackets, or posts

John Lohmann
03-09-2013, 10:59 AM
For physics people
I have a fence gate, 2 new pressure treated 2x4 & 2 old 2x4 dried & lighter I want to use the old ones for the horizontal 72" & the new heavy for the ones 48" vertical. is it the right way to go? I'm concerned about stress on the hinges, does it matter, or is it total weight?

Joe Angrisani
03-09-2013, 11:27 AM
Someone else will have to answer the wet vs dry question, but I will say something about the diagonal support. Be sure to run it so the lower end is at the lower hinge. You want the weight of the gate putting that diagonal board in compression so it "props up" the weight of the gate. If you ran the diagonal the other way (top near hinge, bottom on free side of gate), it would be in tension and the gate would be inherently weaker.

Larry Whitlow
03-09-2013, 12:42 PM
I second what Joe says about the diag brace. Also would think the green PT 2x4's will dry out fairly quickly, so wouldn't matter either way.

Lee Schierer
03-09-2013, 6:46 PM
In the long run it won't make a lot of difference. Once it rains a few times all the wood will be about equally wet or dry. If your gate is 72" wide, make sure your support posts are well anchored and that your hinges can take the weight of the gate.

Erik Loza
03-11-2013, 1:11 PM
My wife and I just had a perimeter fence installed on our property. There are two gates. One is the width of a standard doorway, the other is about 9' wide (the driveway). The doorway one is framed PT lumber with the diagonal support, as Joe described. The contractor who did our fence said that he could build the driveway gate out of lumber but that due to the span and the fact that it is an exterior structure, he could not guarantee, no matter how well braced it was, that it would last more than a couple of years without sagging or needing to be repaired. We went with a steel "ranch-style" gate, which he just skinned to match the rest of the fence.

No opinion on building gates but 72" seems like a wide enough structure that rigidity could be an issue, no matter how it is framed. Just some food for thought and best of luck with it.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Frank Drew
03-11-2013, 3:34 PM
Erik,

I think the problem with wider gates sometimes is that the post isn't set and anchored well enough to resist the weight of the gate; no matter how well you design, make and hang a gate, the whole thing is dependent on a gate post that remains precisely vertical, and that takes a bit of work to ensure.

I agree with Joe and Larry about the orientation of diagonal bracing but it's surprising how many times you see it done the other way.

Joe Angrisani
03-11-2013, 3:59 PM
I think the problem with wider gates sometimes is that the post isn't set and anchored well enough to resist the weight of the gate; no matter how well you design, make and hang a gate, the whole thing is dependent on a gate post that remains precisely vertical, and that takes a bit of work to ensure.

Part of the problem is standard lumber. It's my belief you just can't anchor a gate post properly using 8-foot 4x4's to make a 6-foot-high fence. Especially if the posts are left a little high for triming after they set. No matter how solid it's anchored (shy of fully locked in a solid slab), two feet in the ground isn't enough to resist the tilting force of larger gates. I'd always rather go deeper on gate posts, and that means 10'ers cut down a bit.

Chris Padilla
03-11-2013, 4:00 PM
Use a gate wheel to support the end of the gate.

Erik Loza
03-12-2013, 10:08 AM
Erik,

...two feet in the ground isn't enough to resist the tilting force of larger gates. I'd always rather go deeper on gate posts, and that means 10'ers cut down a bit.

You know, I was working in the yard yesterday and actually noticed my wide gate sagging a bit. You both are right: The gate is solid but the 4X4 is leaning ever-so-slightly. I planned to install an electric opener soon and maybe will take the opportunity to tie the support post (which is next to the house) into the stone siding for extra support. Good point, gents.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA