PDA

View Full Version : Coin Blanks. Success ? Or Failure

Jesse Anderson
03-09-2013, 10:27 AM
So i have been doing allot of looking around for coin blanks. I found a USA based company that was able to work with me. Rather than tell me that they do not sell blanks...... I was actually pretty surprised in all the No's i got. So i found a company that said they had some blanks sitting around. They are coins that are .093” thick x 5.80” Dia – currently only steel parts.[COLOR=#1F497D][FONT=Times New Roman]..... So they are going to send me a few blanks. It is probably a bit smaller than what i am looking for. But when i get them i will take pictures. If i decide i like them he will give me a price roll out. It is thicker than a penny. Thicker than a Nickel. If it is made out of steel it will be heavy. I think this company will provide me with a good sample. I can take photo's of the blanks if need be.

The only problem is i have to order a minimum of 3,000 units. So it might be a bit expensive.. But when u look at the cost per unit. I am sure it will come out good.... They will be highly polished with a nice edge. Since i expect my lasers to last about 10 plus years i think it would be safe to say that i can order some and have permanent inventory. The coins were sent through a Large Drum polisher for 4 days.........Awesome !!!!!!

Joe Pelonio
03-09-2013, 5:46 PM
How much Cermark will it take to mark 3,000 coins?

Jesse Anderson
03-09-2013, 11:31 PM
I would say around 4-5 Cans.. The CerMark Spray Can is the most convenient way to apply the CerMark solution to metals and will cover approximately 1100 square inches.... So figuring cost of coinage, To the cost of the cans of cermark. And Times the retail sale value of each engraved coin by 3000. I would say that i would make out like a bandit ?????

Martin Boekers
03-11-2013, 9:57 AM
Yes, it's amazing how many say no..... Clearly a market no one has tapped.

I do a few hundred a year, as well as medallions. Here is a medallion I have done.

I use Romark Mates for the image (a high end dye sub decal) I laser cut it to fit the inset.
Then I do the transfer. This gives you an option of creating color graphics also.

Like I have said in previous posts, I am shocked that coin companies won't sell blanks.....
I have come across one doing a transfer process like the ones I do as they can turn the coins
quicker. I believe they call the quick coins.

Vicki Rivrud
03-11-2013, 1:18 PM
Hi Martin,
How did you make the transfer?
Vicki

Martin Boekers
03-11-2013, 1:27 PM
This is dye sublimated, very durable! You have to be set up for dye sub though.

These are popular, and unique, I came up with this method about 3 years ago.

You probaly can do it with other methods, but I found dye sub is most durable.

Dye sub is relatively cheap to set up and I find so many uses besides that standard products.

Jesse Anderson
03-18-2013, 10:03 PM
I did order some 6.5 Inch blanks from a company... Instead of being 6.5 inch in Circumference it was 6.5 in Diameter.... Big mistake if u ask me... At least they were sample's...

Now i have 6 6.5 diameter steel discs sitting around. That are .93 inch thick... Its mainly my fault. From my background i always used Circumference. They are going to correct the mistake.

The discs did look nice though... I might post some pictures if i get a chance so people can get a idea of what i was able to order. Its kind of like coin but not very polished.

When i get the smaller coin blanks do u think if i stuck them in a rock tumbler for a week that i would get a flawless polish ??????

Any experience or tips ???

Martin Boekers
03-19-2013, 9:55 AM
Did you say these are almost an inch thick? You can probably tumble them. but that does take time. Do these have an inset or reeded edge or are they flat like a washer?

Nathan Shaffer
03-19-2013, 12:50 PM
Jesse,
Have you looked in to finding a local fabrication shop with a water jet? If you could find one, you would be able to have any size and shape coin blanks you would need and out of any alloy that you can purchase. A website that you could use to order material is McMaster.com

Respectively,
Nathan

Martin Boekers
03-19-2013, 12:54 PM
Jesse,
Have you looked in to finding a local fabrication shop with a water jet? If you could find one, you would be able to have any size and shape coin blanks you would need and out of any alloy that you can purchase. A website that you could use to order material is McMaster.com

Respectively,
Nathan

Can waterjet do a reeded edge and an inset? or will the be like a washer?

Nathan Shaffer
03-19-2013, 1:39 PM
Martin,
It depends on the amount of processing. If you want an edge like on a quarter then you would have to knurl the edge. I do not know what you mean by a reeded edge, please explain. If you wanted the blank to have an edge or lip around it, no the water jet could not do that. But a machine shop could mill a pocket in the material to meet your needs. If you wanted an 3d design on the flat edges of the blank that is something that could be done by a CNC mill.

Respectively,
Nathan

Jesse Anderson
03-19-2013, 9:38 PM
I did not mean a inch thick. I meant .10 thick..... They are going to re send me sample's... They do have a lip on them. Just curiously wondering if a rock tumbler process would give them the brilliant shine of a polished rock ???? Any one ever polish steel in rock tumblers ?

This is the Email i got today from a coin making company

Hi Jesse,

We have blanks that are 0.094” thick and an OD approx 1.26” (slightly larger than a ½ dollar). With a decorative beveled coin edge with a raised lip....

We can send you these 5000 pieces at a time.
The cost is $0.14 each (5000 x $0.14 = $700).
FOB Hamilton, OH (you will be responsible for shipping).

We will need to get a check upfront for the first 5000. We will manufacture and package, you send us a check for $700 plus shipping, once check is received we will ship.
All future shipments can be set up on account Net 30 days. We do not take credit cards.
------------------------------------------------------------------

I asked again for some sample's to see how they look and how they fair up... Its important to get sample's prior to just jumping in and ordering 5000 pieces....

14 cents is not bad ???

Martin Boekers
03-19-2013, 9:56 PM
Jesse, I was looking at your sig block, it says you have 2 Epilog Mini 75, I thought Minis only went to 60.
In the next year I plan on adding a third. I have 2 EXT Legend 75 watt and was thinking of a 75 watt Mini,
I was told they didn't make it. I have been very happy with what I have, a bit disappointed they didn't have
a higher watt Mini. I'll check out the Fusion (hopefully they will have one at NBM in May) I may even decide
on a Trotec as prices seem to have fallen abit, Epilog is still about the same price as I paid in 2007.

I'm not sure about the tumbler, we have a small one and it cost $100 or so, not really designed for larger items
I does take days to run some rock. Not sure if the coin weight would make a difference. What will the supplier
charge to polish? You may check with a local plating shop and see what they'd charge. If it works out let me know.

Nathan Shaffer
03-22-2013, 11:43 PM
Here is a source for anodized aluminum flat rounds. The site does custom jobs.

http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=207&cat=Tags

There are special tumblers made for polishing/deburring machined parts.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/NNSRIT2?PMAKA=81140964&PMPXNO=5751833&cm_re=ItemDetail-_-ResultListing-_-SearchResults

Respectivley,
Nathan

Gary Kman
03-23-2013, 1:20 PM
thegreencompany in Lenexa, Ks
I worked in the factory when I was a kid. Made millions of track medals, year pins and similar. Capacity to punch out bronze, silver, gold disks, custom shapes. Remember they had over 18,000 hard steel dies (and three toolmakers making more full time) with designs engraved. Punches to match. Punch out blanks, stamp design on blank w/ drop hammers, punch off flash and finish with a variety of processes; tumbling, plating, baked on enamel. If I wanted 200 bronze disks 1 1/4" x 14 gauge for example, that's where I'd try. Website shows fine jewelry but I bet most of their business is stamped.