PDA

View Full Version : Reverse sanding questions

Brian Brown
03-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Ok, so this is probably a really dumb question, but here goes. When reverse sanding a vessel, should one reverse sand with all grits, or just the last grit or two? I have a delta 46-460 and the reverse was an important consideration in buying the lathe. I know it sounds strange, but with all the problems people have had with the reverse switch going out, and the non availability of parts, I am trying to make the switch last as long as possible, by not using it more than I have too. I have also heard a whisper of a rumor that the switch has been reworked, and that when parts become available, that the new switch will be better quality. Does anybody know if that is the case?

Dale Gillaspy
03-09-2013, 10:21 AM
I can't say anything about the switch, but when I sand, I reverse every time I change grits Then usually the last 2 grits I sand in both directions, then light sanding by hand with the lathe off, running with the grain. I don't really know if it is better or worse than waiting until the last few grits, but it works for me, and I like the results I get.

Bernie Weishapl
03-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Generally I sand one way with one grit and then reverse on the next grit. Like Dale the last two grits I go both ways with some light sanding with the lathe off. Don't know about the switch.

Chip Sutherland
03-09-2013, 10:54 AM
I sand exactly how Dale and Bernie stated...whether I a sanding by hand (using abranet) on the lathe or powersanding on the lathe.

Jeff Gilfor
03-09-2013, 4:47 PM
Me too! Any science to that (has anyone done a comparison?), or are we all members of some weird sanding cult or something?

Wally Dickerman
03-09-2013, 7:12 PM
Depends on the wood. If it''s a problem wood that's hard to sand sucessfully, then I would reverse sand with every other grit. Otherwise, problably only the first or second grit. With some woods, the least amount of sanding I can get away with, the better. Soft woods like redwood for instance.

Brian Kent
03-09-2013, 7:19 PM
I tried this out on some hard, dry Purpleheart today.

I hardly ever reverse sand. Since purpleheart is prone to burnishing quickly and often burning, when I reversed at 150 & 220 grit, it turned the surface back from slightly burnished to fresh sanded and set it up nicely for the next grit. I rarely see such a noticeable difference.

Fred Belknap
03-09-2013, 7:20 PM
I power sand with a low angel drill and I usually reverse the drill instead of the lathe on the higher grits. The grub screw on my chuck screws right on the edge of the shoulder on the spindle and mess it up. I think it is safer to not reverse the lathe.

Nate Davey
03-09-2013, 7:21 PM
+1 to what Wally posted. If I'm having difficulty with scratches I'll reverse the direction on the same grit all the way through