PDA

View Full Version : have 1/8 inch walnut veneer, how do i finish?

Eoin Ryans
03-09-2013, 9:51 AM
Hi guys
very simple question, i have 1/8 inch walnut veneer that i am glue to edge of coffee table.the veneer looks lifeless, I'm assuming the best thing to do is just apply a gloss poly to it? Danish oil?
thanks

David Kumm
03-09-2013, 10:04 AM
Walnut needs some oil to make it pop. I use Watco Fruitwood and dilute it so the orange isn't so strong. The color negates a little of the purple you get in steam dried walnut. Wait a couple days before using a finsih. I don't like poly much. Prefer regular varnish like Pratt and Lambert #38. Dave

Michael W. Clark
03-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Putting finish directly on top really doesn't pop walnut very much. I recently did a coffee table top for our basement (my first breadboard end project) and experimented with wiping waterbase poly. Wiping the WB was fine, but I was less than impressed with the color. I'm watching this thread, I just bought some walnut and have some projects coming up.

I've also heard of putting garnett (or orange, can't remember) shellac on it. Also, there was a Tommy Mac show where he used some dark wax to darken it too?

Mike

Eoin Ryans
03-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Walnut needs some oil to make it pop. I use Watco Fruitwood and dilute it so the orange isn't so strong. The color negates a little of the purple you get in steam dried walnut. Wait a couple days before using a finsih. I don't like poly much. Prefer regular varnish like Pratt and Lambert #38. Dave

Thanks for advice David

glenn bradley
03-09-2013, 11:00 AM
I prefer oil with no colorants for walnut. I have used some Watco Dark Walnut as a prep for sapwood sections on one piece. It was OK but, I really prefer no added color.

Joe Scharle
03-09-2013, 12:58 PM
I use amber shellac to add warmth. Steel wool or 350 sponge to rub out the nibs, followed by 3(+) wipes of varnish.

Tom Fischer
03-09-2013, 2:16 PM
I just finished two walnut footstools.
Used clear oil stain
then shellac
then pore filler
Then Tung Oil finish.
good stuff.

Lee Schierer
03-09-2013, 6:26 PM
A lacquer finish will bring out the grain in walnut. I use a brushing lacquer called Deft Clear Wood Finish. This table was done with Deft alone.256518 The edges, legs and four large squares on the top are all walnut.