PDA

View Full Version : How would you do it

Nathan Clark
03-08-2013, 9:15 PM
I found this at a construction yard where it had sat all winter though snow and arid desert weather. Somehow it does not appear to have a single crack in it. It's quite dirty so I'm excited to see what the wood looks like.
I have no idea what kind of tree it's from. conveniently the pith has already been removed. I just need to figure out the most efficient way to cut it. Being new to this I could use some help. I've seen some people graph out options I'm hoping I can get the same kind of help.

I like to do bowls and boxes. The bigger the better. I have a Nova 1624-44 and so I don't think swing is going to be much of an issue but off balance might be. I may have a issues reaching deep into a vessel as my tools are about 18" -20" total size and not the massive ones. I did make an Oland from 3/4" x 15" cold rolled steel, but I have yet to try it, that may do the trick. I'd give up some size for more blanks.

So what say ye?

Brian Kent
03-09-2013, 12:14 AM
I think it's limestone :D.

Your nice dilema reminds me of diamond cutters who study a great stone for a long time before making the first cut. I have no opinions on what you "should" do, but I am looking forward to seeing what you do and what kind of wood it ends up revealing itself to be.

Brian

charlie knighton
03-09-2013, 9:54 AM
I have no idea what kind of tree it's from picture 2 seems to look like oak, only if it has sat all winter it would have been full of cracks by now, if in that picture the dark line is not the difference between sapwood and heart wood, it could be bark inclusion. if bark inclusion proceed with much caution or fire wood.

Bruce Pratt
03-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Ok, I'll take a stab at it. How about a natural edge bowl? Probably will need to lose the bark, as it is already gone from part of the log. You should be able to get an 11-12" bowl out of it.

Nathan Clark
03-09-2013, 1:06 PM
The dark line is a 1/4 inch step where the saw did not quite meet up.

Nathan Clark
03-09-2013, 1:09 PM
Ok, I'll take a stab at it. How about a natural edge bowl? Probably will need to lose the bark, as it is already gone from part of the log. You should be able to get an 11-12" bowl out of it.
Yeah, the bark is gone from the upper left of that bowl.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-09-2013, 8:53 PM
I found this at a construction yard where it had sat all winter though snow and arid desert weather. Somehow it does not appear to have a single crack in it. It's quite dirty so I'm excited to see what the wood looks like.
I have no idea what kind of tree it's from. conveniently the pith has already been removed. I just need to figure out the most efficient way to cut it. Being new to this I could use some help. I've seen some people graph out options I'm hoping I can get the same kind of help.

I like to do bowls and boxes. The bigger the better. I have a Nova 1624-44 and so I don't think swing is going to be much of an issue but off balance might be. I may have a issues reaching deep into a vessel as my tools are about 18" -20" total size and not the massive ones. I did make an Oland from 3/4" x 15" cold rolled steel, but I have yet to try it, that may do the trick. I'd give up some size for more blanks.

So what say ye?

Can't really tell what kind of wood it is, but it would not surprise me if it was plains-cottonwood, considering your area and the thick coarse bark, and that the wood hasn't split yet, just a guess though.

Taking the above in consideration I would cut it for two bigger bowl and a natural edge one, with a spindle left for whatever you fancy :)

256533 http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=256534&d=1362880389&thumb=1&stc=1

robert baccus
03-09-2013, 10:13 PM
The British have a tree called Lime?

Leo Van Der Loo
03-10-2013, 12:06 AM
Yes, they probably can't pronounce Linden, than again it's called Basswood over here, seems we can't win any over here either :rolleyes:,

Nathan Clark
03-10-2013, 7:32 PM
Thanks, that is very helpful. I found another piece, and cut it. The wood is dark and has very pretty grain, is reasonably hard and has quite an odor to it. Not pleasant but not bad either. I roughed out a bowl and have been popping it in the microwave a couple of times a day.
I am new to woodworking, and am not very good at Identifying wood, it does look a little like oak, but I'd think it's a little too closed grained and maybe a little to dark. Does oak smell when wet? Does oak have a little purple in it?

I thought cottonwood is more yellow white -- again I have limited knowledge.

robert baccus
03-10-2013, 11:08 PM
Leo just look what they did to sycamore/maple. And then the Australians---500 species of eucq. and they name all of them Gum.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-10-2013, 11:32 PM
Pretty rough still, but it does look a lot like Elm, yes most Elm wood does smells a bit ;), and that cross-linked grain does not split easily either, looks like you are making a flower pot :D ??

Dennis Ford
03-11-2013, 9:09 AM
+1 for Elm

Nathan Clark
03-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Ha, and I was just accepting that it was oak. People should just label their wood before they throw it out. Our local wood turning club meets Wed I'll bring in a piece for people to identify. It should be identifiable by smell alone. I'll let you know what I find. This turning will be a bowl to keep change at the office desk for a co-worker. I have unique lid for it that will make the complete box hard to look good. I found the lid AFTER I roughed the bowl So the shape for the bowl is not ideal for the shape of the lid, but I'm excited to see if I can pull it off.

robert baccus
03-12-2013, 11:37 PM
Google up Cottonwood, Elm and others on Hobbitt house woods ---he has many pics of a million woods. A priceless reference site.