PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Cheap Cheap Wood Engravers Dream

Jesse Anderson
03-08-2013, 7:25 PM
I just wanted to share a experience with all u Laser Engraver/Cutters.

I went to a Auction of a company that was going out of business. It was like a wood mill. I was able to pick up a life time supply of wood for under $500... I picked up over 1000 sheets of 4 x 8 Birch wood. Cost me 20 cents a sheet.
I picked up hundreds of cutting boards hardwood for 20-40 cents a piece. Then a bunch of other various woods and different sizes.... My only regret is i was not able to buy more...There was so much of it. The shear volume was massive. There were hundreds of people there. By the time the auction got to the very end. Every one left cause it was such a good deal and they did not have any more room to put stuff. So now i have a 10,000 SQuare Foot basement full of birch wood. And a garage full of hardwood cutting boards. They also had a pallet of 12inchx 12inch 1/4 thick black granite tile that i was able to purchase for $4.00..... I think each tile came out to like 2 cents a piece ....

Its a good day to be a laser engraver when u get 10+ years worth of material for the cost of a few full tanks of gas.....

Just thought i would share my lavishes with friends at the Creek... I am kind of sick to my stomach though, I was not able to buy more !!!!!. I ran out of room and man power. It was just me and my girlfriend loading it. It took 3 days. I could or purchased the whole warehouse of wood for probably 3-4,000..... If i had the resources i bet people would come for miles just to get a cheap load of materials..... To late now though...

Bruce Volden
03-08-2013, 7:32 PM
Yeah right ;)

You've been here long enough to know----NO PIC'S---never happened.

Bruce

Chad McFarlane
03-08-2013, 7:38 PM
To borrow a saying from another forum.

Jesse Anderson
03-08-2013, 7:53 PM
I just wanted to share my delight in a good deal !!!.... So much Negativity... I will be smiling when i am fabricating thousands of dollars worth of projects for few bucks....

Dee Gallo
03-08-2013, 8:34 PM
Just jealous, Jess! It's great to find such a deal on materials - I love to go to auctions too, in fact I went to a preview this afternoon. There is a very big watchmaker's auction and I saw some impressive large clock glass and small watch glass crystals which I am considering for engraving. You never know what you'll find!

cheers, dee

Jesse Anderson
03-08-2013, 11:53 PM
Yea,, Auctions are the way to go.. I have found some great deals. Specially in lower populated area's. I am one episode away from being on hoarders.

Lee DeRaud
03-09-2013, 10:34 AM
I am one episode away from being on hoarders.That's what auctions are for: to move stuff from one hoarder's crib to another's.
I think it's all a plot by the truck rental people.

Dan Hintz
03-09-2013, 6:54 PM
I have to add in my own...

Occasionally I find a pretty good deal, but so far nothing like that!

phil harold
03-09-2013, 9:35 PM
Yeah right ;)
You've been here long enough to know----NO PIC'S---never happened.
I believe everything I read on the internet.
Dont you?

Jesse Anderson
03-09-2013, 11:19 PM
Mike Tronacalli

Since i cannot endorse selling... Come to Rapid City South Dakota and i will give u some for free ""Cutting Boards""

Mike Troncalli
03-11-2013, 9:30 AM
Mike Tronacalli

Since i cannot endorse selling... Come to Rapid City South Dakota and i will give u some for free ""Cutting Boards""

Thanks Jesse,

That's an awful long way from Texas though ... If I did, I would bring up a truckload of Mesquite wood for you...

Martin Boekers
03-11-2013, 9:37 AM
We have bought quite a bit of wood at auctions, if you do a little search, "craig's List" is good for this.
Look under "General"

Maybe not at the prices you got but quite a bit cheaper than retail (Quite a bit!) Much are in estates
from wood workers, great equipment deals usually to be had too... Living just out side a major city these
type of sales surface a few times a year.....

Jesse Anderson
03-12-2013, 12:00 AM
mesquite wood ? How does that stuff look. I have only worked with birch. Other than that im a plastic worker and computer guru... I have only been messing around with wood since i got my epilogs...

Dan Hintz
03-12-2013, 8:05 AM
Mesquite can be very gorgeous stuff... deep browns, golds, reds, and so on. But if you use it to engrave on, you're better off colorfilling to get good contrast. I love to turn with it, but it's difficult to get a hold of up in these parts.

Mike Troncalli
03-12-2013, 10:10 AM
Like Dan said, gorgeous stuff. Some of the best turning wood around. Mesquite trees don't usually grow that big, and the wood is full of inclusions. So even down here it can be expensive unless you know somebody who has land with it growing. And there is nothing better to put in your smoker... Mesquite smoked ribs, brisket... mmmmmm

Bill Cunningham
03-21-2013, 9:29 PM
You have a 10,000 sq. ft basement?