PDA

View Full Version : Tools from Japan Stones

Jim Stewart
03-08-2013, 1:51 PM
Any financial experts out there? I may have the wrong forum here but I have watched the special set of Sigma Power Ceramics fall from $297 to $255. I am thinking on pulling the trigger for that special set but I wonder if the Yen will fall even more vs. the dollar. Any thoughts?

Chris Griggs
03-08-2013, 2:34 PM
Wow, I knew they had dropped the Yen against the dollar but didn't realize how much. That's an insanely good deal. It might be high time I order some Japanese parers from Stu.

David Weaver
03-08-2013, 2:48 PM
Short term, who knows. Long term (more than a couple of months) probably favors it going back toward a stronger yen.

Just a guess, I couldn't find much solid out there because it doesn't seem like much foreign exchange advice is targeted to a very long period of time in the future.

Now is as good of a time as any. I know stu's been busy due to the exchange rate, but I'm sure he'll gladly ship another set of stones.

Steve Friedman
03-08-2013, 2:55 PM
Thanks! Time to get an order together. I had no idea the exchange rate had changed that much.

Steve

Harold Burrell
03-08-2013, 5:14 PM
ahem...it is now $251.

Man...I wish I had gotten them for that!

Jim Stewart
03-08-2013, 7:34 PM
Yeah, looks like it might get cheaper yet. I saw one article that said it would test 100 yen per dollar. That is only 5% away...another $12 bucks? Wonder if that will make shipping cheaper as well. I will likely buy sometime next week unless it looks like the Yen is free falling. I know that the Japanese government wants to drive the Yen down. Don't know how far or what the dollar will do. It is not likely that I can time this thing, so I will take the bird in hand and be happy I saved $50.

Jim Koepke
03-09-2013, 2:48 AM
Gyrations in the currency markets are caused by many things.

Japan would benefit if their products seem cheaper overseas. This is why the different Central Banks around the world take different actions to support some currencies while dumping others. A lot of complexities and even some manipulations.

To a person in a country, buying goods made at home, there isn't much difference when the exchange rates move. If there is dependency on foreign goods in the products they buy, exchange rates start to make a difference. If the U.S. dollar drops against the Canadian dollar, then our tools from Rob Lee will see an increase in price if Mr. Lee doesn't want to eat the difference.

Google is a good source to learn more about these things. A search of > why is the yen dropping < seems to indicate this has been in the news awhile. It may be starting to have its effect of causing money to flow into Japanese products.

jtk

Randy Karst
03-09-2013, 3:04 AM
I ordered a morticing gauge from Stu at the beginning of the week; if I had ordered today, due to the fluctuating exchange rate, I would have saved about $5.00 - timing can be critical. However,on the plus side, it is a pleasure to do business with Stu, so I count that as $5.00 well spent!

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-09-2013, 9:23 AM
Maybe some of my favorite bicycle parts will be affordable again . . .

Jim Koepke
03-09-2013, 11:24 AM
Maybe some of my favorite bicycle parts will be affordable again . . .

Don't tell me Campagnolo is not made in Japan… :eek:

jtk

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-09-2013, 11:46 AM
I think Campy is made in Italy and Romania if I remember correctly. No idea how the dollar is doing against the Euro . . . I was thinking less drive train and more some of Nitto's offerings . . .

Jim Koepke
03-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Oops, my wording was incorrect. When I was a cyclist Campy and the other Italian makers were the tops. The Japanese were just getting started.

A few bad injuries and I had to drop out of the two wheeled speed game.

jtk

Dave Parkis
03-09-2013, 12:47 PM
Ouch!!! That really hurts ( I bought mine last year and the total was north of $340).

Greg R Bradley
03-11-2013, 11:01 PM
Did any previous USA buyers have to deal with any US Customs fees, or any other fees on top of shipping cost?

David Weaver
03-11-2013, 11:51 PM
no. No customs fees.

brian c miller
04-17-2013, 12:16 PM
My wife gots these as a birthday present for me about a week ago... after Paypal's crappy exchange we paid $286 including the "Economy Air" shipping. I really wished he'd accept credit cards so the exchange was better.

They are still showing as "Processing" so I am not sure when they'll showup.

BCM

David Weaver
04-17-2013, 12:30 PM
Not sure when you'll get them, but they'll be worth it when you do. If you're in a major super hurry to get right to the nuts when you get them, put a slight microbevel on something with the 13k stone, and polish the other side quickly and you'll feel all better.

Jim Stewart
04-17-2013, 4:48 PM
I paid about $250 and when you add shipping they were probably $300. I know better than to say this, but these should be my last stones.

Alert to those who are patience; the Dollar is going up in value and the Yen is going down. I think the trend will continue for the next few months...6 ?? This will mean the stones will become cheaper. If you look now though they probably have dropped since I bought mine.
Jim

Christian Castillo
04-18-2013, 5:03 AM
I'm very happy with my Bester 1200/Naniwa Jyuunpaku 8000 combo, but if the USD/JPY > 100, I'm going to seriously consider buying some more stones to play with.

Tommy Martin
04-19-2013, 3:25 PM
Just purchased a set. My first set of water stones. Looking forward to using them soon. Too many dull tools on my bench.

Adam Cruea
04-20-2013, 4:07 PM
Just purchased a set. My first set of water stones. Looking forward to using them soon. Too many dull tools on my bench.

First set, eh? Good. . .you don't have any odd habits to unlearn from other stones then. :)

You won't be sorry. I bought a set back when the exchange rate was high, and even though that set (at a Sigma Select II 240) cost me $430, I couldn't be any happier with sharpening stones. Stu made a customer for life out of me, and any time I talk to someone that does woodworking and needs to sharpen stuff, I tell them the Sigma stones are absolutely awesome.

Archie England
04-20-2013, 5:02 PM
First set, eh? Good. . .you don't have any odd habits to unlearn from other stones then. :)

You won't be sorry. I bought a set back when the exchange rate was high, and even though that set (at a Sigma Select II 240) cost me $430, I couldn't be any happier with sharpening stones. Stu made a customer for life out of me, and any time I talk to someone that does woodworking and needs to sharpen stuff, I tell them the Sigma stones are absolutely awesome.

+1

Stu's real, genuine, and honest!!!! Great guy to invest in great stones with. Now, other stones are nice, as well; but the Sigma Powers work simply and consistently without some of the finicky traits of other stones.