PDA

View Full Version : Can you dilute Titebond I ?

ken masoumi
03-08-2013, 1:49 PM
I left my bottle of titebond one in the cold garage and the next day it was not frozen but hard,so I added a few drops of water and nuked it in the microwave for a few seconds(20 sec. x3),now it looks and feels fine except it's not as thick as before.
Is it ruined? I have a new bottle I could use but don't want to throw the old one out if it is still good.
Any ideas?
Thank you.
Ken.

Mel Fulks
03-08-2013, 2:02 PM
This was covered just recently. You can thin it up to about 10 percent for special purposes. Introducing the water can cause distortion to anything prone to bowing or warping .

Jim Rimmer
03-08-2013, 3:10 PM
You didn't say how big a bottle or how much was left. IMHO, I would chalk it up to experience and chuck it. I can't think of a project I would risk it on.

Mel Fulks
03-08-2013, 3:23 PM
Why not just test it on some scrap? If it holds ,I would use it for most anything short of something like a laminated door stile.

Kyle Iwamoto
03-08-2013, 4:30 PM
Check their site FAQs. There is a bunch of good info there, and they do say you can thin it 5%. The other interesting thing that I looked up is if it hardens, shake it by tapping on a hard surface, until it reverts to it's original state. Well I had a bottle get pretty "firm", yes, pretty old. Shook for several minutes, no change. So I did add water. Got softer, but not it's original state. Added quite a bit of water, now it's pretty fluid, but I'm NOT going to take chances on an important project. I'll probably use it on projects where the actual strength of the glue is not too important.... And chalk it up to experience. Buy smaller bottles. LOL

Chris Padilla
03-08-2013, 4:51 PM
I'd clean out the bottle (dump the glue in the trash) and save it for future use. Glue is cheap...get yourself a fresh bottle.

Mel Fulks
03-08-2013, 4:51 PM
Different employees there give slightly different specs.A 5 percent addition of water reduces viscosity 50 percent,so it is usually not necessary to add more than that. On a hot day ,working with laminating ,I have been advised ,and used as much as 10 percent applied to both surfaces.

Chris Padilla
03-08-2013, 7:05 PM
I had another thought. One can use thinned glue to apply to end-grain to help it from soaking up too much finish. As you know, end-grain often ends up darker than the rest of the board because of this and can be unsightly.

ken masoumi
03-08-2013, 7:44 PM
Well I just tried the glue on some scrap pieces and it looks like it's holding very well,the open time was slightly longer but it dried just like before .
So the trick is to put 2% or so ,mix well and let it sit for a day and if it still too thick add a little more water.

I started this thread thinking adding any amount of water no mater how small would have had an adverse effect on this glue.
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.
Ken.