PDA

View Full Version : Inherited old drill press

Dave Aronson
03-08-2013, 11:37 AM
I inherited a old drill press from my father in law. I cleaned it up and it runs, needs a new belt but after cleaning everything seems to work. Does anyone have any idea on hold old the drill press may be? Also what are the best belt positions that I should use? It has there pulley sizes over the motor and three pulley sizes over the spindle. I have to manually move the belt to change speeds.

The model number on the machine is: 103.23590

Mike Cutler
03-08-2013, 12:13 PM
Don't really know how old it is, but I've seen websites dedicated to older Sears/Craftsman tools. An internet search may help you, or even contacting Sears.
There is no "best" belt position. the speed, in RPM of the drill bit is determined by the size of the drill bit, the type of material, the hardness, or softness of the material, and the depth of the bore. There are many, many, websites that will provide a chart to use as a reference for drilling, based on drill size, and material to select the appropiate drill bit speed in RPM.
Generally speaking though, the bigger the bit, and or, the harder the material, the slower the speed.

Stephen Cherry
03-08-2013, 12:15 PM
maybe check here
http://vintagemachinery dot org

Dave Aronson
03-08-2013, 1:23 PM
Don't really know how old it is, but I've seen websites dedicated to older Sears/Craftsman tools. An internet search may help you, or even contacting Sears.
There is no "best" belt position. the speed, in RPM of the drill bit is determined by the size of the drill bit, the type of material, the hardness, or softness of the material, and the depth of the bore. There are many, many, websites that will provide a chart to use as a reference for drilling, based on drill size, and material to select the appropiate drill bit speed in RPM.
Generally speaking though, the bigger the bit, and or, the harder the material, the slower the speed.

Yeah I realize that there isn't one speed because of bit size and material. But with no manual or guide, it would be interesting to know what speed each pairing produces.

Terry Beadle
03-08-2013, 2:14 PM
Usually there is a label glued in the under side of the belt lid or some times on the side of the drill press body that gives the speeds of the different belt positions.

Is there one there?

Dave Aronson
03-08-2013, 2:32 PM
Usually there is a label glued in the under side of the belt lid or some times on the side of the drill press body that gives the speeds of the different belt positions.

Is there one there?

There is no belt lid. I think in the 50's (my age estimate) they didn't think to protect hands from belts :-) No markings on the body either. I think on the vintage forum that was mentioned I'll be able to get an answer. I saw pictures of people with similar drill presses on there.

Bill White
03-09-2013, 6:11 PM
You have a fine old King Seely DP.
My floor model is a mainstay in my shop.
Mine has a 4 step pully system that generates 625, 1250, 2450, and 5000 rpms. (approx).
I keep it set to the 2 lower rpm settings.
Great DP. Treat it with respect, and you'll use it for another 50 years.
Bill

david brum
03-09-2013, 9:38 PM
Not sure how many step pulleys you've got, but this should get you in the ballpark.

Dave Aronson
03-09-2013, 10:07 PM
You have a fine old King Seely DP.
My floor model is a mainstay in my shop.
Mine has a 4 step pully system that generates 625, 1250, 2450, and 5000 rpms. (approx).
I keep it set to the 2 lower rpm settings.
Great DP. Treat it with respect, and you'll use it for another 50 years.
Bill

Thanks for the info. I plan on cleaning it up and using it for years and giving it to my son who is 8 when he grows up.

Rick Potter
03-09-2013, 10:44 PM
Good plan Dave,

My dad bought a table model Delta Homecraft DP in 1954. I remember him getting it at a hardware store. He sold it to me for $50 about 1980, and I used it a lot, never moving the belt from the position he used. I think it was the second slowest position.

I gave it to my son about 1999 (we marked the dates on it), and he loves it, and plans to pass it on to his 15 yr old son when the time comes.

The belt is still on the position my dad left it, and is still the original 1954 belt, as far as I know.

Rick Potter

glenn bradley
03-10-2013, 10:53 AM
The 103 in your model number indicates Central Specialty which became a division of King Seely. Here (http://www.culvermotor.com/Engineering-Formulas/Pulley-and-RPM-Calculator.html) is a pulley calculator that can help you with speeds.

Bill White
03-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Probably built around the early 50s.
Bill