PDA

View Full Version : Air-filtration Systems

Jerry Lear
03-08-2013, 11:08 AM
I would like your help in deciding what air-filtration system for my shop. The size of my shop is about 15' x 30'
w/8 1/2' ceilings. I have been looking at three models - Jet 1000, Powermatic 1200, and the JDS HP. The Jet is the cheapest on sale at $315.00, the Powermatic and JDS are both about $375. The problem wthe JDS is they are backordered for over two months. I guess I could wait, if that were the best choice, but would really like to have one sooner. I recently began turning & found between the turning & sanding, the amount of dust created is a nusiance.
Any of you w/suggestions or experience w/these Units, your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Jerry

Jim Burr
03-08-2013, 11:29 AM
I use a Jet 1200 in a 8x20 shop and it works great! The scrubber would be secondary to the protection you have already employed...correct?

Jon Nuckles
03-08-2013, 12:20 PM
Fine Woodworking did a comparison of several models a while ago, but I don't recall the results. I'm sure you can find it in their online index, but you'd likely have to order a back issue or pay for online access to see the article. I do recall their being taken to task by readers for not being clear that an air cleaner is secondary to dust collection at the source. They issued a correction/clarification in a subsequent issue.

I have the Jet, but my shop is far too large for it (20x50 with 12 foot ceilings) so I can't really assess how well it works.

Steve Peterson
03-08-2013, 2:17 PM
I have the Powermatic and think it is well worth the price difference. The outer filter is protected. The inner filter has more surface area. The motor is slightly larger and moves more air. The remote allows you to set the timer in 1 hour increments. Just about everything about the PM1200 appears to be slightly improved relative to the Jet.

I use mine in a 13x23 shop, small enough that I usually only need the low speed and run it for an hour after I leave. I have a shroud around my lathe with a 6" duct to my Clearview to try to avoid letting sanding dust get into the air.

Steve

Harry Robinette
03-08-2013, 10:20 PM
My shop is 12 x 17 one side and 12 x 29 on the other. I had a jet that seamed to do OK. but when my lungs got worse I changed up to a Laguna 1400 cfm and it pushes allot of air.The Laguna is pricey and filters are to but with my lungs I have to have as much air movement and filtering as I can get. I know it's doing more then my Jet but Jet was only 1100.

Bernie Weishapl
03-08-2013, 11:33 PM
I have the PSI air cleaner. It does well in my 12 X 24 shop.