PDA

View Full Version : ???? Degrees of - "Perfection" vs "Happy Medium"

Howard Rosenberg
05-07-2005, 1:35 PM
Hi all -

I just put my new TS fence on my saw.

It's not square to the table - its left side, the side facing the blade, cants out at the bottom by about .006 . It seems to be square on the other side.
There's no adjustment for squaring it to the table.

I'm not especially interesting in spending multiples and multiples of hours chasing down a theoretical ideal of "perfection".
I'm OK with a practical "happy medium".

But ..... does this variance fall inside or outside practical usefulness, or......

Your help will sure be appreciated.

Thank you.
Howard

Ken Garlock
05-07-2005, 1:41 PM
Howard, I would cut to the source and call the fence maker to find out what they regard as acceptable. Off hand, .006 seems to be on the edge of OK, and consider what you paid for that evaluation ;)

Mark Singer
05-07-2005, 1:46 PM
Howard.
Cut a piece of wood and put a square on it...if it is square thats it. Try a verticle piece ...like a resaw setup. Most of the weight is down and if the table is square to the blade...you should be good. I keep the fence out a 64th at the back of the blade...this is for safety as the blade has less chance of binding and lifting the work piece up...and kicking back. It does not affect your accuracy

Tim Morton
05-07-2005, 2:07 PM
Hi all -

I just put my new TS fence on my saw.

It's not square to the table - its left side, the side facing the blade, cants out at the bottom by about .006 . It seems to be square on the other side.
There's no adjustment for squaring it to the table.

I'm not especially interesting in spending multiples and multiples of hours chasing down a theoretical ideal of "perfection".
I'm OK with a practical "happy medium".

But ..... does this variance fall inside or outside practical usefulness, or......

Your help will sure be appreciated.

Thank you.
Howard
is that a measurement you took along the entire length of the fence? Or does it fluctuate in different parts along the fence? Off the top of my head .006 is less than 1/128" of an inch....I've never made a single cut even close to that accurate so i think if your fence is not warped along the edge you would be fine, of course we might like to see a picture of the new fence just to be sure:D

Jeff Sudmeier
05-07-2005, 8:36 PM
Wherever your fence is closest to the blade is going to basically control your width. Your fence being out at the bottom, back is actually safer than it being closer. If it was closer at the back, I would probably want to fix it as I would be concerned it could bind a work peice.