PDA

View Full Version : Bit the Nova DVR Bullet

alex grams
03-08-2013, 8:54 AM
With the changes in life of having a kid and the effects that has on time available to work, I've found myself doing a lot more turning in the shop. The Delta 46-460 I have has served me well, but I've found myself wanting some more swing and more HP for some of the work I've done. I had the opportunity to cut up some big Osage orange (30" diameter trunk, blanks that are 8"+thick x 12-16" diameter) that would be too much for the delta, so I am anxious to get into those.

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt220/alexgrams/Turning100_zps92e27b58.jpg

The DVR Sale was too much to pass up, so I bit the bullet and ordered one yesterday (along with a titan chuck and bed extension).

Now I guess I will just need to sell my 46-460!

Alan Trout
03-08-2013, 9:22 AM
Alex,

Sounds like fun. However I would keep the Delta. You can never have to many lathes:).

alex grams
03-08-2013, 9:41 AM
While I agree with your statement Alan, the wife does not. Plus, I told her the sale from the delta would help subsidize the Nova, hah.

Jerry Marcantel
03-08-2013, 10:19 AM
`Alex, from what I've heard that lathe is a good choice. It looks like that wood will keep you busy for a few days too.... That said, I've got to ask a couple questions about your posted picture. First, is that the Mid Size Easy Wood Detailer? If so how do you like it? The second question is, Can I use a section of your picture to illustrate an example why I chose to make a tool to aid in the disposition of tenons?.......... Jerry (in Tucson)

alex grams
03-08-2013, 10:33 AM
Jerry, It is a full size detailer. I like it quite a bit. I have the full size detailer, rougher and finisher, and find myself using the finisher 90% of the time, even when hogging out material. the detailer I use a lot for cutting mortises

Feel free to use the picture however you want, just hopefully in a positive manner, not a 'look what he did wrong' style :) I am curious what you are trying to demonstrate/highlight. I have some more pictures if you want them.

mark ravensdale
03-08-2013, 10:08 PM
Alex, I think you will love your DVR it's a great lathe, up to abt 3 days ago I was using a DVRXP and loved it, plenty of power, torque, and it ran so smoothly, it's only down side was/is its lack of mass, but that's nothing a few bags of sand or pea gravel can't sort out (I had around 600lbs hanging from mine and it made a big difference)
Unfortunatly my dvrxp decided to go POP and expelled a load of smoke a few days ago, but up to that point I was VERY pleased with it, Infact up to that point there is no way I would have got rid of it for something different, it really was that nice to use/turn on,
by the way, don't go worrying that there may be some problem with the dvr, it's just me, lathes just seem to hate me, I've had 3 committ suicide in 8-9 years, hope my new one doesn't hate me (jet/powermatic 3520b) it should be delivered early next week (Monday or Tuesday I hope) and can't wait to try it out and put it through its paces (after the ordeal of assembling it of course!!!)

Anyhow, get that wood spinning and enjoy your great new lathe Alex!!!

Kathy Marshall
03-08-2013, 10:16 PM
Congrats Alex! I think you'll be very happy with it!

Bernie Weishapl
03-08-2013, 11:29 PM
Congrats. I love my DVR. I have Jet 1220 and kept it when I upgraded. I use both a lot.