PDA

View Full Version : Shop Tour Part II

Dennis McDonaugh
05-07-2005, 1:13 PM
Here are some more shots of the shop.

The first picture is a storage area. The tall cabinet on the left has pull out shelves and stores heavier benchtop tools. I usually just haul them over to the bench to use. Behind the boards are about 100 plastic bins for storing small parts. The the right of the boards are two rotuer bit cabinets, one for 1/4 and 1/2 shank bits. Under the bins and router bit storage are some drawers and shelves, including one which pulls out and holds a 4" belt/6" disk sander. You can just see two of the three shop dogs to the left, a dalmation with a bad paint job and the rear end of a schnauzer. The german sheppard and two cats are not in the picture.

The second photo is to the right of the first and includes the performax 16/32 and some hanging tool storage. I had a lot more tools up here before I started the tool cabinet. I don't know if I'll leave them up or not.

I'd like to have more room, but honestly my 20X24 garage has all the room I need without being inconvenient. I guess with more toom I'd leave the benchtop tools out all the time. I hope you enjoyed the tour.

The third photo is to the right of the second photo and shows my mechanics tool box, four plastic saw horses, a couple roller stands and paint/stain storage. The silver thing next to the tool box is a galvanized beer chest for parties. We use it a lot in the summer here in hot south Texas. There are storage shelves above the top of the picture you can't see. The garage has 10' ceilings so there is plenty of room above for seldom used items.

The fourth picture shows (from right to left) the router table, drill press, long clamp storage, MM16, planer and miter saw and lumber storage. I used to have a 15" jet planer, but I sold it in anticipation of buying a 20" model, but the delta went on sale and I bought it instead. Eventually, I'll get a larger one but the delta leaves a very nice surface on the wood. If you look closely to the left of the bandsaw you can see what looks like a dead tree sticking out. This is hatrack for LOML. She is a "Red Hatter" and has lots of red hats of all different sizes. She asked for a hatrack and instead of the ordinary I decided to do something whimisical and this one looks like a tree. I'll post pictures when I'm done with it. The MM16 is my favorite power tool. I got an exceptional deal on it. I called to find out about pricing and Carl said he'd make me a good deal an open one without a fence, they had taken the fence off to replace one damaged in shippment to a customer. He said a new fence was on the way and would arrive in a month or so. So I bought it for $1500. A couple months passed and he calls back and says the fence never made so come up and pickup a new saw for the same price instead.

The last picture is if the miter saw and lumber storage. The mitersaw hood is patterned after one Terry Hatfield posted on Badger Pond. It sucks up all the dust when I open the 6" blast gate. Even with it closed it sucks up 90 percent of the dust so I usually leave it closed so I don't have to walk back and forth to open and close it. If I leave it open, dust collection suffers at the other tools. I can leave up to 4 4" blast gates and get good collection on everything but the jointer-its the last tool in the line and it needs to have more gates closed than other tools. I bought the lumber storage brackets at Home Depot and they work and look great. I just wish I could put it lower, but I don't have the room.

Christian Aufreiter
05-07-2005, 1:50 PM
Nice and VERY WELL ORGANIZED shop. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Christian

Dale Rodabaugh
05-07-2005, 6:07 PM
:p Where is the sawdust???:p

lou sansone
05-07-2005, 6:22 PM
hi dennis
You have a nice shop. There is such a thing as too big of a shop. looks like yours is right for you. BTW ....I see the sawdust, it is just sort of fine sawdust.

you indicated that you had a mm 16 planer in your post. did you mean to say mm16 band saw? What do you have for a planer now?

lou

Dennis McDonaugh
05-07-2005, 6:46 PM
hi dennis
You have a nice shop. There is such a thing as too big of a shop. looks like yours is right for you. BTW ....I see the sawdust, it is just sort of fine sawdust.

you indicated that you had a mm 16 planer in your post. did you mean to say mm16 band saw? What do you have for a planer now?

lou

Lou, its MM16 bandsaw and Delta 22-580 planer. Yes, there is such a thing as too big a shop. The only thing I think I could use more room for is assembly. Once you start something big, floor spaces goes quickly! There's always fine dust on everything. About once a month I forget to empty the sawdust in the woodsucker and everythig clogs up and there's a mess. I don't know how to get rid of it once its there.