PDA

View Full Version : Waited all day for a grizzly g1023rlw to be delivered and!!!!!

Mike Francis
03-07-2013, 9:39 PM
My new saw was being delivered today and 4 hours after they said it would be here, the tractor trailer pulled up to my house at 8 pm and the driver opened the door and there she was!!!! Happiness was not the feeling, the crate looked like it was thrown off the truck and then thrown back on. The cardboard box was all ripped up and you could see inside and I saw bolts bent at the top of table and looked like the cabinet side was bent. I took pictures, politely refused the delivery and wrote on bill of laiding it was refused due to damage then called UPS and told them. Now i have to wait for morning to call Grizzly and inform them and to get another table saw on the way, what a day!! I had to share my story because this happens more than you think, last year i bought grizzly metal lathe and I went to pick it up at UPS terminal and they brought it on a forklift to my truck but when driver stopped my lathe decided to do flips in the air and land, needless to say, it was damaged! I guess there is still time to have a beer and look in the garge where i thought my saw would be tonight, I guess i can look forward to ii next week.
Mike

Peter Aeschliman
03-07-2013, 10:14 PM
Unfortunately your experience is common. I simply don't understand how the shipping companies get away with their blatant disregard for the packages entrusted to their care.

Trevor Roeder
03-07-2013, 10:19 PM
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Hopefully you will get a new one in proper condition quickly.

Mike Francis
03-07-2013, 10:19 PM
I agree, they act as if its no big deal so let it happen to their new toy and that will make them think, for about 5 seconds, then back to not caring!
Mike

Phil Thien
03-07-2013, 10:28 PM
I agree, they act as if its no big deal so let it happen to their new toy and that will make them think, for about 5 seconds, then back to not caring!
Mike

I also agree, the shipping companies must pay-out so much in claims due to their negligence. If they were only a bit more careful...

Derek Voigt
03-07-2013, 10:37 PM
I just recently got a 1023rlw too, I wrote a little blog post about it, but I don't think i'm allowed to link it.

The boxes were in near perfect condition and the saw was too! When i ordered it, it was back ordered for like 8 weeks! So far so good! You'll like yours i'm sure!

Bill Wyko
03-07-2013, 11:57 PM
I've had my share of problems with shippers. You really have to wonder what the heck goes on with these people. When I take a customers car apart, I don't throw the parts across the room. I bet there isn't one person on this forum that does damage like that to their customers belongings.
An un named shipper once lost a 140lb amplifier in a 3 foot x3 foot wood crate that I shipped, they ended up paying the claim due to me being smart enough to buy insurance. About 18 months later the amp shows up from the shipper. Just gotta wonder what corner it sat in for a year or so.

Bill Petersen
03-08-2013, 12:06 AM
So sorry to hear this. My G1023RLX arrived in perfect condition from FedEx Freight. I was the one who dropped it. While I was walking the upper pallet off the lower one the last slat on the lower pallet broke and the saw took a dive. It landed on the tilt wheel side but only ended up with a minor dent. It did rather shift everything in the cabinet but eventually all adjustments came out OK.
Anyway, good luck with the next one. I hope they get it to you quickly. When you finally have it all set up you will love it.

Bill256425

John Hays
03-08-2013, 12:16 AM
From what I hear, UPS pays their loaders according to how many boxes they can cram into a container or truck, so there's your answer for how concerned they are about getting someone's package deliverd in tact. They may have changed their policy on this, but from the sounds of it, they haven't.

In my past experiences, UPS is the worst offender of damage and I cringe every time I see them listed as the carrier on a company's web site... I then have to decide just how badly I want that item. I personally will never use them to send anything. :mad:

david brum
03-08-2013, 12:50 AM
I can empathize with you. I impatiently waited for my new bandsaw to arrive, only to find that FedEx shipping had let it fall over in their truck, crushing the top of the saw. They had arranged to meet me the previous day, but couldn't contact me (believe me, I was available). So they just left it on the truck, upright and unsupported. By the next day of driving around, the saw was destroyed. I just couldn't comprehend how it was all that much effort for the driver to secure the box and save the company a $1K insurance claim. The box was covered with huge, red arrows and warnings against tipping. There was even a chemical doodad that showed whether the box had been laid down.

On the plus side, the manufacturer, Shop Fox, sent me a new saw that day after I told them what happened. It arrived safely the second time, with the help of a much more conscientious driver.

Scott Reed
03-08-2013, 1:18 AM
Sorry for your trouble. I recently received a 1023RLW and the box was perfect, shockingly so. I've received several large items recently and was expecting the worst with this saw but the boxes were immaculate and so was the saw. I love this saw!

scott spencer
03-08-2013, 5:39 AM
I think it varies with each shipping company, but it does seem pretty stupid to sustain needless damage and cost to the company. Since it's certainly possible for packages to arrive undamaged, there must be some methods that work better than others.

Brian Kincaid
03-08-2013, 10:04 AM
You did well to note the damage and refuse shipping. Things would have been much more difficult if it were unloaded. I imagine if the claims were a big problem for the shipping companies they would take more responsibility. I don't understand the business / logic either.

-Brian

Mike Tekin
03-08-2013, 10:33 AM
Sorry to hear about this! - this just really sucks but will get resolved and you did the documentation by the book so you are covered. I wonder if this is maybe different areas of the country because I have only gotten one box damaged from UPS in the last 10 years and that was ground, not freight.

I have received freight from seven different freight companies and all was in tip top shape.

Jeff Monson
03-08-2013, 10:44 AM
Mike, I know what its like waiting for machinery, sucks that it came damaged! I've been VERY fortunate that all my machines have arrived without damage. Hopefully they can get you another one on the way asap.

Jim Tabor
03-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Mike, sorry about the bad luck.
I live 150 miles from the Springfield store so when I get ready to buy I drive over there. (My Director of Finance says to often). Bought a 1023RL two days after Christmas and the warehouse guy loaded it as if was going to his house. I sent a table saw and later a band saw to my son in upstate NY. Both times I included lift gate service. My son said the drivers handled the boxes like they contained china. Without a doubt it’s the delivery company. Jim

Ken Fitzgerald
03-08-2013, 12:17 PM
Mike,

Sorry to hear about your problem!

It's as much related to the individual driver, the driver's particular work day schedule as it is to the company, I suspect.

In every case where I have had something delivered "tailgate service to the curb" the driver has helped me or me and a neighbor place the tool in the shop which is at least 100' away from the curb. In every case I have tried to tip the driver $20 for his extra effort. In some cases they have accepted the tip while other drivers have steadfastly refused it.

Today shipping companies like most other businesses are stressed to the maximum with low bids to stay competitive, rising energy and labor costs. Thus a higher demand is being made on their workers to do more in less time.

Mike Cutler
03-08-2013, 12:32 PM
From what I hear, UPS pays their loaders according to how many boxes they can cram into a container or truck, so there's your answer for how concerned they are about getting someone's package deliverd in tact. They may have changed their policy on this, but from the sounds of it, they haven't.

In my past experiences, UPS is the worst offender of damage and I cringe every time I see them listed as the carrier on a company's web site... I then have to decide just how badly I want that item. I personally will never use them to send anything. :mad:

John
I'm sorry, but I would have to disagree with you. I've had many, many, packages delivered by UPS through the years. Fragile antiques from Europe, stained glass windows from England, wood, AC units, microwaves, a Bradford White water heater ( I didn't even know they could deliver a water heater), farm implements for horses, chemicals, tools, etc. Not many weeks go by that the truck isn't in my driveway at least once that week. I've had some things get lost for awhile, but I cannot remember anything arriving broken.
My experience with UPS doesn't mirror yours. It may be that you have a local problem and UPS, corporate, isn't aware of the issues.

Cary Falk
03-08-2013, 1:21 PM
Man that sucks, wasting a day to get nothing. Grizzly will take good care of you but unfortunately it will take a few more days to get your saw. It is a great saw. I still love mine. I'm not surprised about the damage. The forums are littered with shippment horror stories. The brief time, in my younger days, unloading trucks for UPS we were required to unload 3000 packages/hr whether they were 1oz or 70lbs. Many a package came tumbling down from the top of a 8' wall of packages. I'm sure it is not much different for fork lift drivers. I am amazed when I get a package that is undamaged.

Phil Thien
03-08-2013, 1:49 PM
John
I'm sorry, but I would have to disagree with you. I've had many, many, packages delivered by UPS through the years. Fragile antiques from Europe, stained glass windows from England, wood, AC units, microwaves, a Bradford White water heater ( I didn't even know they could deliver a water heater), farm implements for horses, chemicals, tools, etc. Not many weeks go by that the truck isn't in my driveway at least once that week. I've had some things get lost for awhile, but I cannot remember anything arriving broken.
My experience with UPS doesn't mirror yours. It may be that you have a local problem and UPS, corporate, isn't aware of the issues.

I've had good "overall" luck w/ UPS, too.

I sent a heavily customized server to Akamai once, I think I overnighted it. Anyway, it was dropped from such a height that every pop rivet sheared right off.

And it wasn't like we shipped it overnight because the guy at Akamai didn't need it.

That was FedEx, BTW.

They can all have their good/bad days. It just seems like a little more training (among all of them) would substantially reduce their costs.

But what do I know. I imagine the bean counters have already told them they make MORE money being a little careless and paying out claims (due to being able to achieve higher volumes).

So I guess the amount of damage we see is the "optimum amount." :)

Dave Zellers
03-08-2013, 1:52 PM
When I received my jointer there was a dent in the base even though the box looked perfect. Then I saw where the forklift tong had poked through the box and they had carefully placed the shipping label over the hole. :rolleyes:

The dent was very small and I was able to pound out half of it so I never mentioned it but I got a kick out of the label placement.

I love hearing that they have a detector that records if a shipment has ever been laid on it's side. I'm sure the sellers of this equipment are just as frustrated as us by careless shippers.

Jim Andrew
03-08-2013, 2:40 PM
It is disappointing to await delivery of a new toy and find it damaged when it is delivered. The only piece of equipment I've had damaged was my cyclone, and the port was smashed. UPS had put it in the shop, so I called the supplier, and that port must get smashed on most of their deliveries, as the guy said to just take a hammer and straighten it out. He said the metal wants to go back into shape. He was right, and it wasn't much of a problem. All the truck deliveries have gone fine, and I used to get appliances delivered from Price Truck Line, and never had one even dented. Think Price delivered the first few woodworking machines I bought, SAIA has delivered the last few. And they have had the machines tied to the side of the truck, and were in no way damaged.

Mike Francis
03-08-2013, 5:31 PM
I called Grizzly this morning and they are shipping out a new saw so I am back waiting again. I guess what bothered me is that the driver asked me twice if I still wanted it, I thought he was crazy. I think it was damaged when they loaded it for delivery because I cant see it getting damaged to the extent inside the trailer. It almost looked like maybe the back of a forklift backed into the side of it or something like that because it did not appear to be forked, I have seen that before. I guess either way all freight companies can have issues but I had it happen last year on a metal lathe from Grizzly and the forklift driver had it on the forks and he was bringing it to my truck and he slowed down to quick and it went rolling off the end of the forks and rolled over a few times. After it finally landed, the driver got off the forklift and looked at it and asked me if I wanted it, I couldnt believe it. I refused it and walked back into the UPS terminal and told them what happened and no reaction from the people there, obviously this happens so frequently that they are used to it, oh well, life goes on.
Mike

Curt Harms
03-09-2013, 7:08 AM
Mike, sorry about the bad luck.
I live 150 miles from the Springfield store so when I get ready to buy I drive over there. (My Director of Finance says to often). Bought a 1023RL two days after Christmas and the warehouse guy loaded it as if was going to his house. I sent a table saw and later a band saw to my son in upstate NY. Both times I included lift gate service. My son said the drivers handled the boxes like they contained china. Without a doubt it’s the delivery company. Jim

I'm about the same situation with Grizzly in PA. The stuff I've gotten I picked up. In addition to no shipping damage, it's like going to F.A.O. Schwartz in NYC December 20th.:D

Chuck Wintle
03-09-2013, 9:02 AM
My new saw was being delivered today and 4 hours after they said it would be here, the tractor trailer pulled up to my house at 8 pm and the driver opened the door and there she was!!!! Happiness was not the feeling, the crate looked like it was thrown off the truck and then thrown back on. The cardboard box was all ripped up and you could see inside and I saw bolts bent at the top of table and looked like the cabinet side was bent. I took pictures, politely refused the delivery and wrote on bill of laiding it was refused due to damage then called UPS and told them. Now i have to wait for morning to call Grizzly and inform them and to get another table saw on the way, what a day!! I had to share my story because this happens more than you think, last year i bought grizzly metal lathe and I went to pick it up at UPS terminal and they brought it on a forklift to my truck but when driver stopped my lathe decided to do flips in the air and land, needless to say, it was damaged! I guess there is still time to have a beer and look in the garge where i thought my saw would be tonight, I guess i can look forward to ii next week.
Mike
It will be worth the wait...hope it all works out for you.

John Lifer
03-09-2013, 9:31 AM
Guys, don't blame everything on the driver. In most cases, the shipments are handled by multiple forklift drivers. Many are just incompetent. Many don't care. And it doesn't matter what carrier, they ALL have this problem. My Co gets shipments weekly and most all of the pallets have do not stack labels all over the sides. Does that stop them from double stacking? Heck no. I refuse shipments or document damage about once a month. When I refuse a large enough quantity, things get better for a while. then worse. Go figure. Hope the next one is intact!

Joseph Tarantino
03-09-2013, 1:58 PM
I called Grizzly this morning and they are shipping out a new saw so I am back waiting again. I guess what bothered me is that the driver asked me twice if I still wanted it, I thought he was crazy. I think it was damaged when they loaded it for delivery because I cant see it getting damaged to the extent inside the trailer. It almost looked like maybe the back of a forklift backed into the side of it or something like that because it did not appear to be forked, I have seen that before. I guess either way all freight companies can have issues but I had it happen last year on a metal lathe from Grizzly and the forklift driver had it on the forks and he was bringing it to my truck and he slowed down to quick and it went rolling off the end of the forks and rolled over a few times. After it finally landed, the driver got off the forklift and looked at it and asked me if I wanted it, I couldnt believe it. I refused it and walked back into the UPS terminal and told them what happened and no reaction from the people there, obviously this happens so frequently that they are used to it, oh well, life goes on.
Mike

not sure i understand what the big deal is. just keep refusing them until you get one that's representative of what you paid for. remember what every sicilian knows.......it's not personal, it's just business.

Peter Aeschliman
03-09-2013, 2:10 PM
When you have to take time off of work to await the delivery, refusing shipments can get old pretty fast!

Mike Francis
03-12-2013, 10:02 PM
Finally the saw arrived today and it is not damaged! This time it was on a pallet and a wooden frame around it with the rails in another box but attached to the pallet. The first saw came and it was on a pallet but no wooden frame and the whole left side ripped open and crushed. The hardest part was moving it from the street around to the alley which was a couple houses down and up through the alley on a furniture dolly. Was not to bad, my wife and I pushed it all the way and then leveraged it over a rise to the garage and then I cut the slats on the pallet and scooted it off the pallet. So far so good, now I have to take inventory to make sure I got all the parts and then put it on the mobile base and do the final assembly and put a new plug on it and fire it up, so i can say its been a good day.
Mike

Scott Reed
03-12-2013, 11:57 PM
Great to hear, Mike! Looking forward to your impressions after you've had a chance to use it. I started a new project today, and apothecary style chest for my wife. I've never built anything like it and so far have used the 1023 for everything. I cut the panels and drawer dividers and dado's for the dividers. Everything fit snug and lined up perfectly, due to know skill of my own but to how well the saw is tuned.

Maurice Arney
03-13-2013, 8:10 AM
Got my first shipment from Grizzly the other day. I guess I was lucky because mine looked pretty clean.256814

Keith Outten
03-13-2013, 8:33 AM
Who pays for the damage?

I'm wondering if the shipping companies don't just increase their fees so we pay for the damage that they do to our machines.

I went to UPS to ship a couple boxes under fifty pounds each a few days ago and the cost to ship almost knocked me down. I also paid for insurance which I thought was very reasonable. Lets assume that the shippers add 25% to each shipping fee and they damage one out of 50 packages or pallets. Seems to me they have plenty of funds to cover the cost of the machines they mishandle and we pay for the damage.

Cary Falk
03-13-2013, 8:53 AM
I'm guessing that if the shipping companies were paying for the damage then it wouldn't be happening. We are eating the cost somehow. The cost to ship something for the average guy is ridiculous.

Mike Francis
03-13-2013, 9:07 PM
I think Grizzly packed my saw well but UPS destroyed it and it happened last year when a Grizzly lathe went rolling off the forks on a forklift about 3 feet high, i wished i could have laughed since i watched it happen but since it was mine I just stood there in disbelief! I think next time i buy something large, I am packing up the wife and 3 dogs and take a roadtrip since Missouri is not that far from Dallas!
Mike

Mike Goetzke
03-13-2013, 9:33 PM
Who pays for the damage?

I'm wondering if the shipping companies don't just increase their fees so we pay for the damage that they do to our machines.

I went to UPS to ship a couple boxes under fifty pounds each a few days ago and the cost to ship almost knocked me down. I also paid for insurance which I thought was very reasonable. Lets assume that the shippers add 25% to each shipping fee and they damage one out of 50 packages or pallets. Seems to me they have plenty of funds to cover the cost of the machines they mishandle and we pay for the damage.
I don't sell a lot on ebay but years ago I had a buyer say the goods were not all included due to broken box. I forget all the details but didn't think the buyer was completely honest....anyway it took lots of paperwork and time before I received a refund but I didn't get paid back for shipping, ebay fees, or PayPal fees. They used the ebay transaction for value of goods. I know these machines are much more expensive but doubt the process is easy for them to recover all their costs. So yes we probably pay for the damage in the price of the product and shipping,

Mike

Don Morris
03-14-2013, 4:26 AM
Sorry to hear your story. I got my 1023SL years ago and it was in good shape. My jointer and the TS were delivered by trucks without lifts. Made delivery a little difficult but doable. Recently I was delivered a 200 Lb compressor strapped to a pallet. It also was in great shape and delivered by an 18 wheeler with Lift. Seemed to me all large shop items like that should be delivered the same way.

Myk Rian
03-14-2013, 8:34 AM
not sure i understand what the big deal is. just keep refusing them until you get one that's representative of what you paid for. remember what every sicilian knows.......it's not personal, it's just business.
I don't believe he actually said, and meant that.

Joseph Tarantino
03-14-2013, 11:33 AM
I don't believe he actually said, and meant that.

can you expand on that?

ray hampton
03-14-2013, 5:21 PM
When I received my jointer there was a dent in the base even though the box looked perfect. Then I saw where the forklift tong had poked through the box and they had carefully placed the shipping label over the hole. :rolleyes:

The dent was very small and I was able to pound out half of it so I never mentioned it but I got a kick out of the label placement.

I love hearing that they have a detector that records if a shipment has ever been laid on it's side. I'm sure the sellers of this equipment are just as frustrated as us by careless shippers.

forklift tongs ? the forklifts that I drove have forks were something like 4 to 6 inches wide , do they use a label that BIG ?

Jim Foster
03-15-2013, 1:19 PM
One thing to keep in mind, UPS and the UPS Freight division are two separate organizations.

John