PDA

View Full Version : Metal Picture Frames Not Marking

Tim Bateson
03-07-2013, 8:52 PM
OK, have you ever done dozens of an item and then found a couple that were just a little bit different? I've done metal picture frames with Cermark, However tonight I have 2 - both different from one another, but neither will mark.

I even tried hitting it with 100% power and 20 speed, and then apply Cermark and laser, still nothing. Under a magnifying glass I can see where I hit it, but no Cermark will stick. One looks to maybe be chrome & that would explain it's issue, but the other is a dull brushed finish.

I even considered using CLTT, but the angle of the frames would make it impossible to properly use the heat press.

I hate telling a customer I failed and good luck finding someone else.

Joe Hillmann
03-07-2013, 8:55 PM
Does it have to be those exact frames? If so does someone nearby have a yag or fiber laser?

Tim Bateson
03-07-2013, 9:02 PM
I'll ask her tomorrow if I can substitute other frames - good idea Joe. I do like to refer customers to others if it's outside of my capabilities, but I don't know of anyone around here with either Fiber or Yag.

Mike Null
03-08-2013, 4:36 AM
Tim

I've tried to apply Cermark to Harley chrome after market items made in China. It just plain won't work but it works fine on real Harley items. So if your frames are made in China I doubt you'll have any luck.

Ed Kloppenburg
03-08-2013, 7:14 AM
I know that I have had some cheap metal whistles that I have done. I had the same problem with poor quality. I ended by going over the whistle four times on a 100% setting and slow speed. It looked ok but the heat effected the looks of the metal around the name. I chalked it up to just plain old made in China material.

Tim Bateson
03-09-2013, 4:18 PM
Solution - as chosen by the customer - I used adhesiveness silver trophy plates on them. Wouldn't have been my choice, but the customer was so happy she took several of my catalogs and a hand full of business cards + paid 3 times what I would have charged if used on trophies - she insisted.

I won't give away too much info but let's just say I have a leg up on the few local competitors that haven't yet thrown in the towel. :cool: