PDA

View Full Version : Stanley nr. 1

Dennis McDonaugh
05-07-2005, 12:06 PM
While I was taking pictures of the cabinet I snapped a couple of the nr. 1 I bought a few weeks ago. I went at it with a toothbrush and mineral spirits and removed most of the gunk and oil that covered it. There is a little more rust than I thought at first, but overall it looks pretty good considering. I coated it with paste wax in an effort to stop the deterioation. I was surprised by its small size. You can read the dimensions, but until you see it in person you can't really appreciate its stature. The last picture shows it next to a nr, 2.

Richard Gillespie
05-07-2005, 2:56 PM
Dennis, that is one small plane. My hands are big enough I have trouble with a #3. Other than your pictures, I've never even seen a # 2 or #1. Good snag.

Jim Young
05-07-2005, 4:58 PM
I read somewhere that the original idea behind the #1 was for children. It was intended for them to start learning woodworking. Just read it, I have no idea if this is true or not.

Aaron Kline
05-07-2005, 5:48 PM
I read somewhere that the original idea behind the #1 was for children. It was intended for them to start learning woodworking. Just read it, I have no idea if this is true or not.

"Now Jimmy, be careful, daddy's plane you're using is worth, drop,crack,bang,boom, $50...:o "

Anyway, I saw a #1 at an antique market and I thought it was a childs toy plane at first. It was a bronze LN model. They are tiny.