PDA

View Full Version : How to move a 16" jointer? F410....

dirk martin
03-07-2013, 4:27 PM
I've got an option to buy an F410, SCMI 16" jointer, less than 50 miles from me. Like new. 7.5hp (I thought they were all 6.6hp). Also has 2 new Tersa heads. Under $3K for all. 3 phase.

Not that I need a jointer, nor have the room...but I hate to pass it up at that price.
I don't have a fork lift, nor does the seller.
Any ideas on how I'd load that into my trailer, that's about 18" off the ground?
I have a F150 pickup, too.

Philip Berman
03-07-2013, 4:39 PM
I rented a landscapers trailer to hitch to my Dodge Dakota to get a Hammer A3-31 home, and then went back to the rental place to rent a pallet jack to get it into the shop. Even with the cost of the rental, it was still a good deal - the rentals weren't that expensive. Uhaul or someplace like that would have the vehicle you need, a tool rental place will have the pallet jack if needed. When I sold my Jet 15" planer, the guy who bought it had rented a small Uhaul that came with a ramp, took 2 minutes to load it.

Phil

Greg Portland
03-07-2013, 5:02 PM
+1 to the landscaper trailer. Use a racheting hoist to drag it onto the trailer (use sections of pipe underneath to help it roll if there are no wheels). You & another person may be able to push it on. Be sure to stick blocks under the back edge (so the tongue does not pop off your truck when you're loading).

Brett Bobo
03-07-2013, 5:13 PM
I'm interested to hear what options are available as well. Maybe someone can explain the process further, including lifting it from the floor, assuming it's not already on a pallet or mobile base.

Mel Fulks
03-07-2013, 5:35 PM
Few years back I worked for a guy who had no understanding of the value of any machine that didnt have a computor in it . When the company moved he hired a rigger to move CNC router but tried to load a fine old jointer onto a pickup truck with a dim wit and a fork lift .Dumped it into the street and broke off the large 'ship wheel' infeed table adjustment. Leaving only one spoke. I hear it has not been repaired. You need a rigger or someone who knows that trade.

Jeff Duncan
03-07-2013, 5:50 PM
If you know how to drive one you can rent a forklift for the afternoon! If not I'd be inclined to put it on a pallet and rent a pallet jack and a box truck with a lift gate for the day. I've moved many heavy machines like this and it's a LOT easier and potentially cheaper if you run into trouble trying to get it onto, or off of, a trailer.

I have an older version of that jointer albeit made by another Italian company. I think mine's 4 hp or so, and it is a really nice robust jointer. I bought it from a dealer so didn't have to deal with picking it up, however it's a beast so make sure you have all your ducks in a row before you go!

good luck,
JeffD

good luck,
JeffD

Peter Kelly
03-07-2013, 7:19 PM
If you're only hard surfaces, a johnson bar and machinery skates are the way to go.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#johnson-bars/=ls3z4j
http://www.mcmaster.com/#machine-skates/=ls497e
Most rental yards have these. Just skate the machine onto a lift gate truck and go.

Forklifts are great but you'd need to rent one at either end. Gets expensive.

Erik Loza
03-07-2013, 8:11 PM
Dirk, an F410 Nova weighs about 1,800lbs. Two options for lifting this machine: Forklift or tractor/crane with overhead hoist (with straps). It is too big for any truck liftgate (I ship machines for a living; trust me on this...). If you can get it onto a skid or pallet, a flatbed tow truck could winch it onto its bed, then deliver it to your location. On level ground, a pallet jack is your best bet for moving these around.

Hope this helps,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Jim Andrew
03-07-2013, 8:49 PM
I have a tilt bed trailer. Built it to haul my ATV and lawnmowers. I would just back up to the jointer, let the back end down to the ground, and use a come-along to pull the jointer up to the front of the trailer, where it would pivot back to level, put the pin in the trailer to keep it level, and strap the jointer down to the trailer, drive it home and back it up to the shop, and let the trailer down, and push the jointer off. Bet some rental companies have tilt bed trailers. The weight of the jointer will not overload the trailer. I've had much more weight than that on mine.

Bill Wyko
03-07-2013, 9:35 PM
Rent an engine hoist in your town, take it up there, load it, take it home, return it. Probably 40 bucks. Definitely a deal worth getting. You may also talk to a tow truck driver. I use a tow truck to move my 4000lb tool box.

Gregory Stahl
03-07-2013, 10:15 PM
Don't get too excited, I haven't even registered to bid yet! Working on getting my $2M liability policy in place to be able to pick up anything I may buy. It is often easier to buy at $1k more elsewhere than one of these auctions, especially when no rigger is available and you figure the 10% premium.

My guess is it goes between $4 and $5k--I may even pull the trigger at that price. Working on a widebelt sander deal though--if that goes through tomorrow morning the jointer is all yours!

johnny means
03-08-2013, 7:07 AM
+1 on the rollback. I've moved a couple of bif sliders that way. With a couple of Johnson bars and some care it's pretty straight forward.

John Adank
03-08-2013, 10:29 AM
You may also want to try a Bobcat or Skidsteer that has forks on the front end. You can always find those around from landscapers or contractors.

Jeff Duncan
03-08-2013, 11:39 AM
My guess is it goes between $4 and $5k--I may even pull the trigger at that price. Working on a widebelt sander deal though--if that goes through tomorrow morning the jointer is all yours!

Is this a new jointer? Generally for a used jointer going at auction if it's getting $5k it had better be brand spanking new! They're great jointers, but I bought mine from a dealer for under $3k delivered....(though it is an older version). Hard to place a value without being able to see the specific machine, but no way I'd shell out $5k at an auction for a used 16" jointer:confused:

Erik, why do you think it's too heavy for a lift gate? I've moved several machines in the same weight class with no problems?

JeffD

Jeff Monson
03-08-2013, 12:11 PM
I'll put in my vote for a rollback also, 50 miles is not far to move it. I have also used dropdeck trailers to move heavy machinery, they work well as they drop right to the ground, but the ones I have used had no suspension, that made for a slow trip.

Curtis Horswill
03-08-2013, 2:52 PM
Well, the jointer sold for $4350, anyone here buy it?

Jim Andrew
03-08-2013, 2:55 PM
My trailer has leaf springs, they sell the tilt beds at most trailer companies, you would think rental companies would have them for rent. Maybe try one out at a trailer sales company.

Gregory Stahl
03-09-2013, 9:44 AM
Well, the jointer sold for $4350, anyone here buy it?

I ran it up to this price and then let it go. It was hard not to bid again, but the 10% premium and insurance to pick it up pushed it into the $5k range. There are other machines out there in this price range that are easier to pick up and don't require a $2M dollar liability policy naming the auction company.

If there was a rigger on site, I would have bid higher.

Greg Stahl

Ronald Blue
03-09-2013, 11:00 AM
1800 pounds on an engine hoist. That's scarey! While some are rated to lift that much weight it's like any crane rating. That's at the shortest boom extension and directly in front because some also have a rotate feature. You will need lifting straps for that and insure they won't be contacting any sharp edges because they are easily damaged. Then the thought of trying to roll it around. If it's hard surfaces and level it's doable but not simple. The roll back is the best idea and safest. Hopefully it is or can be put on a pallet and you can rent a pallet mover. There are other options as well and it depends on how good you are at improvising. At 1800 lbs though you need a plan as that is capable of serious bodily injury if it gets away from you.