PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy planer knives

Lee Schierer
03-07-2013, 3:57 PM
I was using my Delta 22-560 planer this afternoon to thin down some cherry and noted I was getting some burning on each pass no matter how light the cut. I stopped what I was doing and checked the knives. They were dull. Fortunately they were reversible and I had not yet reversed them.

So now I want to buy a spare set. Where is the best price for Delta 12-1/2" knives for a Delta 22-560 planer?

Gus Dundon
03-07-2013, 4:24 PM
When you search online, the price is all the same which is $38.63.

Lee Schierer
03-08-2013, 5:30 PM
When you search online, the price is all the same which is $38.63.

I found sources that ranged from $23 to $55, that is why I asked. The $23 ones are made by Powertec instead of Delta.

Harry Niemann
03-08-2013, 7:25 PM
Lowes handles Porter Cable blades which are identical. Cost is about $30.00.

Mike Heidrick
03-08-2013, 9:24 PM
Id send a note to brian gumper at sales at holbren dot com and see what he can do. His ten percent discount for woodnet members gets him a lot of business too from many of us. He sells freud blades for MANY machines that get good reviews.

Fred Maiman
03-08-2013, 9:41 PM
Lee,

Can you tell me anything about how long you have had the planer and how much lumber (very roughtly) you have run through it? I'm a bit curious how long the blades last.

Lee Schierer
03-08-2013, 9:55 PM
Lee,

Can you tell me anything about how long you have had the planer and how much lumber (very roughtly) you have run through it? I'm a bit curious how long the blades last.

It is at least 10 years old. I just use it for thicknessing pieces for boxes or panels so it hasn't seen a ton of use. It has seen, black walnut, cherry, red oak, maple, poplar and some hickory. I buy my lumber from a supplier that has it all dimensioned. I only rarely run any rough lumber through it. I really can't say how many feet have gone through it. I was cutting down some 3/4" cherry to 1'2" for a box lid and noted that it was leaving burn marks on the surface and seemed louder than normal. After changing the blades it cut the same piece of cherry clean on the first pass and was much quieter.

Lee Schierer
03-12-2013, 5:48 PM
Here's an update. I was in Lowes today looking for some other stuff and had some time to kill so I wandered through the tool section and found Porter Cable planer knives that also fit the Delta 22-560 that I have. They were $29 for a pair, but with my Vet's discount they were $26. I also located knives on the internet for $22.98 for Powertec knives from Amazon or $28 for Delta knives from Toolbarn.com.