PDA

View Full Version : Value of used bandsaws

Larry C Smith
03-07-2013, 9:03 AM
I have the opportunity on two different used bandsaws. One is bluish color Jet WBS-14 and the other is a Delta 28-280 with a riser and Carter guides. The Delta looks appears very clean. I am not sure of the age of either but it seems the Delta was made around 2000 and I wasn't sure what year(s) Jet shipped the saw in that color. Any advice will be helpful. Pictures are below.

Matt Day
03-07-2013, 9:38 AM
I'd buy the Delta hands down because of the guides and riser block, but that depends on the asking prices of the two saws. If the Jet was half the price it would be a different story. What blades come with each?

John Lanciani
03-07-2013, 9:56 AM
JET - $150 max and only if you need to be cost concious. Blue (earlier) JET tools can be hit or miss in regards to quality.
Delta - $500 is fair for what is in the picture. That is a US made saw with fence, riser, moble base and the carter guides. My guess based on the pic is that it is a little older than you're thinking, probably early-mid 90's based on color. It looks to be well taken care of as well.

ETA, the Delta also has the hard to find factory 4" dust port under the table.

John Bailey
03-07-2013, 10:00 AM
Both are going to be good saws. In many cases the wheels on the Delta are reputed to be more substantial. Check the spokes an see which one has more. More spokes usually indicates more heft, which is a good thing. Also, at least on later models, the Jet has die cast trunnions supports while the Delta has cast iron trunnion supports. The cast iron would be better.

You may want to check these things out, but if the prices are in th same ball park, the Delta is the clear choice. For me, if the Delta is reasonably prices, meaning $500 tops and probably less, I'd, simply go get the Delta.

Joseph Tarantino
03-07-2013, 10:01 AM
what are the asking prices of the two saws?

Joe Hillmann
03-07-2013, 10:12 AM
If anything breaks on the delta you may have a vary hard time finding parts for it due to the new ownership at Delta. For that reason alone I wouldn't consider used delta tools unless I can get them for less then scrap value.

Larry C Smith
03-07-2013, 10:25 AM
I have not begun any negotiations on either saw. The current asking price is $360 on the Jet and $650 for the Delta. I was thinking the Delta saw itself would be worth about $300, $50 for the riser, $65 for the guides, $35 for the mobile base for a total of $450. Maybe a little more for the condition. The Jet's condition is a bit more in question. The seller said $360 firm but he has had it a while. I think I would only look at it if the negotiations on the Delta don't work out.

John Bailey
03-07-2013, 10:28 AM
That is a US made saw with fence, riser, moble base and the carter guides. My guess based on the pic is that it is a little older than you're thinking, probably early-mid 90's based on color.

I thought the same thing when I looked at the picture. However, the documentation I have says the 28-280 started in 1997.

John Bailey
03-07-2013, 10:33 AM
I have not begun any negotiations on either saw. The current asking price is $360 on the Jet and $650 for the Delta. I was thinking the Delta saw itself would be worth about $300, $50 for the riser, $65 for the guides, $35 for the mobile base for a total of $450. Maybe a little more for the condition. The Jet's condition is a bit more in question. The seller said $360 firm but he has had it a while. I think I would only look at it if the negotiations on the Delta don't work out.

The Jet is way over priced, in my opinion. John L. placed the value at $150. I agree with that. The Delta is more reasonable, but I wouldn't buy it at that price. Joe, above, makes a good point about parts. However, there were so many of these saws and their clones, that I don't think parts would be a problem.

Stephen Cherry
03-07-2013, 12:19 PM
If anything breaks on the delta you may have a vary hard time finding parts for it due to the new ownership at Delta. For that reason alone I wouldn't consider used delta tools unless I can get them for less then scrap value.

Joe- some of these Delta machines were made for so long that parts will turn up on ebay with regularity. It's not like ordering from the manufacturer, but the parts are out there, and people are parting out the machines on fleabay. Plus, for the 14 inch deltas, aftermarket (non delta) parts are out there for tires, guides, etc.; and if you really got into it, it would not be that hard to pick up a 14 inch parts machine.

In my opinion, the main thing would be to buy the machine in nice condition, and not missing any parts.

Dick Mahany
03-07-2013, 12:40 PM
I have a Delta 28-270 14". It is the 1HP "grand edition/ white" made in the US in 1998. The one in your photo looks like it was just prior to mine based on the badging. It is a SOLID and dependable saw. I recently bought a second one (the same model) that had been badly maintained for $200. It needed tires and bearings for ~ $65, and a good thorough cleaning. I would think that the Delta with the riser block, closed stand base, fence should be worth ~ $400, possibly a little more. Check whether it has a 3/4 or 1 HP motor.

John Lanciani
03-07-2013, 1:06 PM

Parts for domestic Delta 14" bandsaws are not an issue. You can literally build a complete saw with the parts that are available on E-bay today. Virtually every part is interchangeable from a late 1930's saw to a late 1990's saw. The only issue is getting parts from the company that holds the Delta name today. When they bought the name they did not buy the parts inventory.

They are worth much more than scrap value.

Rich Riddle
03-07-2013, 1:34 PM
Parts for domestic Delta 14" bandsaws are not an issue. You can literally build a complete saw with the parts that are available on E-bay today. Virtually every part is interchangeable from a late 1930's saw to a late 1990's saw. The only issue is getting parts from the company that holds the Delta name today. When they bought the name they did not buy the parts inventory.

They are worth much more than scrap value.

Not to mention there are so many exact clones of that machine that the clone parts bolt straight into the Delta. I am not advocating doing that since so many parts exist past the course of most of our lifetimes, but a plethora of parts exist for the old Delta saws. I didn't even have trouble finding a couple parts for an old 1946 Delta tilt-top table saw. More to the point, most of us don't break our saws on a regular basis and only change bearings, blades, and consumables.

Cary Falk
03-07-2013, 2:14 PM
For reference I sold a similar setup as the Delta in 2008 for about $450 if I remember correctly. No carter guides but I had about 10 blades. Mine was a 28-206, 1hp, with riser block, mobile base, and Jet fence. I hated it and got rid of it for a reason.

Thomas Hotchkin
03-07-2013, 2:45 PM
Larry
Delta 14" band saw like your picture, sell for a lot more out here. I sold my 14" Delta "grand edition/ white" made in USA for $750.00 back when I pickup my MM16, wish I still had it. No room for two band saw's. Tom

Rich Riddle
03-07-2013, 2:55 PM
For reference I sold a similar setup as the Delta in 2008 for about $450 if I remember correctly. No carter guides but I had about 10 blades. Mine was a 28-206, 1hp, with riser block, mobile base, and Jet fence. I hated it and got rid of it for a reason.

I didn't like the Delta either and gave it to a friend. It has the riser block. He loves it and thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread. Many folks love that old design and how it works, and a few of us don't. Band saws and table saws seem to draw extreme opinions on this site and others. Most people have definite favorite teams or at least leagues.

Gus Dundon
03-07-2013, 4:21 PM
Either one is fine but don't narrow down your choice between the two. Try to look for other fair and good deals on band saws.

Joe Hillmann
03-07-2013, 4:51 PM
Joe- some of these Delta machines were made for so long that parts will turn up on ebay with regularity. It's not like ordering from the manufacturer, but the parts are out there, and people are parting out the machines on fleabay. Plus, for the 14 inch deltas, aftermarket (non delta) parts are out there for tires, guides, etc.; and if you really got into it, it would not be that hard to pick up a 14 inch parts machine.

In my opinion, the main thing would be to buy the machine in nice condition, and not missing any parts.

You are right it is possible to get parts on ebay. Although in my experience you find a parts machine you need and the owner isn't willing to take it apart to send you just the part you want even if you buy the entire thing so you have to pay for shipping halfway across the country which cost twice as much as the parts machine and the combination of shipping and the machine cost about 1/2-3/4 of going out and buying an brand new machine.

I have had trouble with two delta machines in the last two years so at this point the only way I would consider a delta is if it was free.

Although with all that said there is a good chance that if he buys the delta saw he will never have to replace anything on it other then blades and wheels so availability of parts may never matter.

Carl Carew
03-07-2013, 7:16 PM
I don't think the parts availability should be a major concern. I recently sold my delta 14 inch with riser block, bought new and used for about 30 years, and bought an 18 inch Laguna from a fellow creeker. The Delta was a great saw that I used mostly for cutting decoy bodies, making toys and the curved parts for Adirondak chairs. The only parts I replaced were a tension spring, one tire, guides and throat plates (all readily available as aftermarket parts) The only place I thought the saw was lacking was in resaw capability, and that was probably due to having only a 3/4 hp motor. I cut several full size goose and loon bodies where I had less than a 1/8 inch clearance under the guide with it fully up. I sold the Delta for $450 and it sold quickly. No experience with Jet but between teh two you mentioned I would definately go with the Delta.

Larry C Smith
03-07-2013, 7:40 PM
Thanks for the replies..I will let you know what I do.

Myk Rian
03-07-2013, 8:29 PM
That is wrong on so many levels.
Those saws haven't changed since Noah built the Ark with one. Parts are available all over the place, due to the fact there were so many of them made.
It's a lot easier to find Delta parts than it is Jet.

Matt Day
03-07-2013, 8:50 PM
I agree - parts availability will NOT be an issue. This same basic saw has been made for what, 60 years? Parts will be availability will not be an issue.

John - good catch on the 4" dust port! That's a nice (and rare) bonus and probably worth what, $50?

JimT Thompson
03-08-2013, 2:31 AM
Bought a 20 yr old Delta 28-203 in great condition last year for $250 then added a $115 Kreg fence and thinking hard about adding $170 Carter guides since the originals are pretty old. No riser, no dust port and 3/4 hp. I would have loved to get that newer Delta for $500! No regrets though, this old saw has been a huge help in the shop.

Kirk Poore
03-08-2013, 3:03 PM
I had one of the last blue Jets (Woodcraft was just getting the white ones in when I got it). It was a good saw, and I sold it for $300 last year when I got my PM 140. Yes, the Delta is probably a little better quality, and certainly better equipped. I had the riser block, but I think resawing stock over 6" on a saw that size is somewhat problematic. I think either will work for you.

Kirk