PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Action Pens w/Alligator Blanks

Billy Tallant
03-07-2013, 12:25 AM
Finished turning this group of pens last night. The 5th pen was a pain though. Blew out two blanks before I finally got it finished. Now to get them delivered to the customer. Nice feeling being all caught up on orders. Now I can go back to turning what ever I feel like!

Jon Lanier
03-07-2013, 2:28 AM
Now those are something you can sink your teeth into! Nice work, Billy.

Mike Cruz
03-07-2013, 8:13 AM
Billy, are those alligator jaw bones that are cast in red resin? They look really cool...like meat!

Doug W Swanson
03-07-2013, 8:47 AM
Billy, are those alligator jaw bones that are cast in red resin? They look really cool...like meat!

That's what they are. I've got a few of them in stock that I'm waiting to turn....

The pens look great, Billy!

Jim Burr
03-07-2013, 1:34 PM
Great job Billy!! I have 2 8" bones I need to stabilize and cast...just need a day off!

James Combs
03-07-2013, 5:32 PM
Good show Billy. Alligator blanks, jaw bone cast in acrylic, right? Never tried any but may have to look into it.

Billy Tallant
03-07-2013, 10:55 PM
Now those are something you can sink your teeth into! Nice work, Billy.

Thanks for the comments Jon!

Thanks for the comments Mike! Yes those are alligator jaw bones.

That's what they are. I've got a few of them in stock that I'm waiting to turn....

The pens look great, Billy!

Thanks for the comments Doug!

Good show Billy. Alligator blanks, jaw bone cast in acrylic, right? Never tried any but may have to look into it.

Thanks for the comments James! Yes alligator jaw bones cast in resin. I like them but they are a pain to turn. Extremely sharp tools & light cuts are required.

Jim Burr
03-08-2013, 11:31 AM
If you stabilize them first then cast the results are much more predictable.