PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Maple Box

Timothy Mann
03-06-2013, 9:25 PM
Spalted Maple from a tree I cut in our backyard last summer. Holly pull and button under the lid. 8 coats of WOP, Beall Buffed with REN wax on the last wheel. Roughly "4 x "4. This was just about the softest, punky-est piece I have ever turned but the plus side is it took seconds to sand. The first 3 coats of WOP it soaked up so much the next day you would not have been able to tell I put anything on it at all. But I am happy with the way it turned out. This is a Mike Stafford design of box.

Wally Wenzel
03-06-2013, 9:28 PM
Great looking box,very neat. Great wood also
Wally

Rob Wachala Jr
03-06-2013, 9:38 PM
I like it, looks very nice.

Jerry Marcantel
03-06-2013, 9:59 PM
Tim, pretty nice looking box and wood... Jerry (in Tucson)

David DeCristoforo
03-06-2013, 10:10 PM
Super sweet box... one of the nicer ones I have seen in this style. I only wish I could tell what color it is!

Kathy Marshall
03-06-2013, 10:43 PM
Beautiful box Tim! Great looking wood and I really like the form and proportions of the box, and the soft finish.

Michael Stafford
03-07-2013, 5:29 AM
Trust me Timothy, this is a Timothy Mann box. I appreciate the attribution but the reality of it is you turned the box and did a wonderful job of it and made it yours. I own no designs because there have been many turners before me from whom I no doubt borrowed elements and incorporated into boxes I like to turn.

You have developed your own niche incorporating some of Cindy Drozda's ideas but in a different way and making them own. Your boxes to my eye are distinctively Timothy Mann boxes and you should be proud of your work. I love this box and the only complaint I have is that two of the pictures (#4 & #7) on my monitor are substantially different in color from the rest. Maybe it is just my monitor.

Punky woods can certainly be worth the effort and when done well as in your box dispel the old adage that "life is too short to turn bad wood".

Keep 'em coming. I love seeing your box work.

Michelle Rich
03-07-2013, 6:53 AM
super little box..and great finishing on such punky wood

Doug Herzberg
03-07-2013, 7:08 AM
What everybody else said. Great box, great wood. Thanks for sharing.

Hayes Rutherford
03-07-2013, 8:16 AM
Timothy, another thumbs up, the style and spalting look great. I have problems getting wood to dry in that thickness and was wondering if you previously roughed out the piece?

Mike Golka
03-07-2013, 8:57 AM
Now that's one purrrrdy box! Nicely done

Bill Hensley
03-07-2013, 7:11 PM
Timothy I can only echo all the other compliments. Very nice shape with great detail and the wood makes it even more appealing. Good work!

Donny Lawson
03-07-2013, 9:09 PM
That is one great looking box.

Timothy Mann
03-07-2013, 9:54 PM
Thank you all for the nice comments it means a lot to me.

Mike S. thank you very much!

Hayes I didnt rough this out before hand. When I cut the tree down last summer I cut the pieces of wood into the sizes I wanted and bagged them in brown bags with shaveings to slow the drying process, even though it has only been about 5 months since the tree came down it was completely dry I assume that because it was so punky that helped it dry quicker.

Rodney Walker
03-08-2013, 12:01 AM
Great looking box. The holly knob and button really work well with it.
Rodney

bob svoboda
03-08-2013, 8:23 AM
Nice box. Beautiful wood and I really like the Holly for contrast.