PDA

View Full Version : Pigment/Dye Question

Jim Glock
03-06-2013, 3:18 PM
What is recommended to put in epoxy for color? I'm looking at embedding some turquoise in some voids and would like to use something to make the epoxy gloss black. Suggestions? Any help is much appreciated. jg

Chip Sutherland
03-06-2013, 4:14 PM
I have used Mixol tints successfully with epoxy to get turquoise and black. Woodcraft sold them. Liquid Red Trans Tint worked too but seems like the curing time was hastened quite a bit and it dried darker. I have India Ink but I have not tried it in epoxy. I don't have any experience with Chestnut or Spirit dyes/tints. Hopefully, some one with add their experience.

Fred Belknap
03-06-2013, 4:30 PM
I use Trans Tint dye and it works great. Just dip the tip of a toothpick in the dye and mix it in the resin before mixing in the hardener.

David Gill
03-06-2013, 4:41 PM
I use different colored glitters and powders from Michael's to mix in with 5 minute epoxy when I want to fill cracks or make decroative band. Doesn't seem to shorten working time and is easy to apply sand and finish. Even though it is 5 minute epoxy, I usually let it cure overnight. IMHO it is easier that trying to fill with sawdust, coffee grounds, etc and CA plus it does not stain the wood like CA can do.

robert baccus
03-06-2013, 5:27 PM
Black epoxy and turquois is purty. I stumbled on a trick---mix up some chunky tur. bits and black epoxy and overfill a defect of your choice. Then sand/grind down to level and finish. Looks fancy yeah.

Ray Bell
03-06-2013, 5:56 PM
There is a product called Systemthin Epoxy Paste Pigment, which you can get in a lot of colors, black included. It works very well, and only takes a drop to turn the epoxy ink black. I don't remember where I got this, but google will probably have it.

John Keeton
03-06-2013, 6:02 PM
I believe System Three says that universal paint pigments will work, and, of course, they make their own pigments in limited colors - including black. Just takes a very, very small amount!

Jim Glock
03-06-2013, 7:53 PM
Thanks MUCHO!! jim

Bernie Weishapl
03-06-2013, 11:10 PM
I do like Fred and use Trans tint dyes with epoxy.