PDA

View Full Version : What's in AZ

Pete Harbin
05-07-2005, 1:13 AM
Fellow Creekers,

LOML and I will be visiting with some friends in Phoenix and Sedona at the end of the month. Any woodworking sites or stores that I should check out while we're there?

Thanks gang!

Pete

Jim Becker
05-07-2005, 9:54 AM
I can't help you with woodworking specific things, but do get a copy of the Hidden Arizona travel guide from the bookstore...these are wonderful guides that tell you where to find things that are not normally obvious to "mere tourists", including natural attractions, great food, etc. Dr. SWMBO and I never travel without them and when we did NM and AZ a few years ago, we had an incredible time. BTW, when you return south from Sedona to Phoenix, cut down the back way through Tombstone to Prescott. It's a really nice ride!

Jerry Olexa
05-07-2005, 11:18 AM
My wife and I visited there a few months ago. I also did a thread on same and the guys gave me a wealth of info. Go to SEARCH. Have good trip.

Mike Vermeil
05-07-2005, 11:41 AM
As odd as it may sound, St. James Bay Tool Company, a maker of high-end, wood-infill hand planes is in Mesa. I haven't actually been there but I believe they have a show room & the like.

Lars Thomas
05-07-2005, 12:04 PM
My wife and I wnet a few weeks ago. I don't know much about the wood scene in AZ, but you have to do one of the Jeep tours in Sedona. My wife and I went on one and enjoyed it to no end.

Rob Littleton
05-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Arizona Silohouette is a good place to visit.

Also, towards Phoenix on I17 is Woodworkers Source.

You aint that far from me if you are in Sedona. Send me a PM and we would love to have you guys stop by.

Have a safe trip.

Dave Falkenstein
05-07-2005, 12:37 PM
As mentioned, Woodworker's Source is located in AZ. There are three stores, two in Phoenix and one in Tucson. The newest store is a new building on the I17 northbound frontage road, north of Bell Road in Phoenix. You will go right by this store on your way to Sedona from Phoenix. The phone number is (602) 504-1931. If you are interested in chain stores, there is a Rockler's and a Woodcraft at opposite ends of the city. There is a local wood and tool dealer in Mesa called Timber-something, but I have never been there - too far from home. There is a way cool custom furniture manufacturing company located in an old high school in Jerome, not far from Sedona, called Western Heritage Furniture. They have a small showroom, and give tours of the shop area if you ask nicely. Their phone number is (928) 639-1424.

Scott Whiting
05-07-2005, 12:39 PM
As far as woodworking goes we have a Rockler and a Woodcraft. Also we have Timber Woodworking in Mesa and Woodworkers Source with a couple of locations. I've also been known to give a tour of my sharpening business.

Dave Falkenstein
05-07-2005, 12:42 PM
I can't help you with woodworking specific things, but do get a copy of the Hidden Arizona travel guide from the bookstore...these are wonderful guides that tell you where to find things that are not normally obvious to "mere tourists", including natural attractions, great food, etc. Dr. SWMBO and I never travel without them and when we did NM and AZ a few years ago, we had an incredible time. BTW, when you return south from Sedona to Phoenix, cut down the back way through Tombstone to Prescott. It's a really nice ride!

Sorry Jim, Tombstone is not close to Prescott. I think you meant Jerome, which is an old mining town perched on the side of the mountain, and well worth the visit. Tombstone is south and east of Tucson, and also fun to visit. Smile.

Jim Becker
05-07-2005, 12:45 PM
Sorry Jim, Tombstone is not close to Prescott. I think you meant Jerome, which is an old mining town perched on the side of the mountain, and well worth the visit. Tombstone is south and east of Tucson, and also fun to visit. Smile.

LOL! You're correct and I'm just suffering from CRS... I really did mean Jerome! Neat little town and the museum is interesting.

Ron Huisinga
05-07-2005, 2:37 PM
Besides the great sites & locations already mentioned.

If you interested in hand planes here's a shop that maybe worth looking into.
www.stjamesbaytoolco.com (http://www.stjamesbaytoolco.com) It's located in Mesa not far from central Phoenix.
Mesa is also home to WWII air museum.

Then there is Frank Lloyd Wrights Taliesin West located in a north Scottsdale, the area is surrounded by mountains and just a few miles from a nice lake & picnic area
www.franklloydwright.org/index.cfm?section=tour&action=taliesinwest (http://www.franklloydwright.org/index.cfm?section=tour&action=taliesinwest)

As for Sedona try to avoid a weekend trip, it's just crushed with tourists.The middle of the week is the best to see the sites such as Slide Rock and Oak Creek Canyon besides the art galleries. Keep your wallet secured away, it's a bit pricey.

Have a safe & wonderful trip.
Ron

Pete Harbin
05-07-2005, 9:53 PM
Thanks guys! We'll be staying in Sedona most of the time. We swapped our timeshare for one in Sedona to hang out with our friends from Phoenix.

Pete

Jay Albrandt
05-08-2005, 2:22 AM
Pete,

Check out the Biltmore Hotel. Good Arts and Crafts construction and furnishings.

Jay

Ray Arnold
05-08-2005, 12:07 PM
While in Sedona, have dinner at the Cowboy club (Silver saddle room) there are lots of Arts and craft shops in Sedona and Oak creek Village, Its kinda Inspiring to see. Have a great time.

Dave Falkenstein
05-08-2005, 12:48 PM
While in Sedona, have dinner at the Cowboy club (Silver saddle room) there are lots of Arts and craft shops in Sedona and Oak creek Village, Its kinda Inspiring to see. Have a great time.

Another great place to eat in Sedona is Shugrue's in the Hillside Center. Yummy!