PDA

View Full Version : Tool Cabinet (part II)

Dennis McDonaugh
05-07-2005, 12:31 AM
All the drawers are hand dovetailed and most of the carcas construction was done with hand tools. I milled the stock with power tools otherwise I'd be working on it ten years from now.

Here are a few more details. The rasps are in the larger drawer in the bottom of the top cabinet. You can see that I have several saws stored in the bottom left door and sanding disks in the right.

I still havent decided now to finish the large drawer. The smaller ones look okay, but the medium sized ones look kinda plain and I'm afriad a large expanse of curly maple on the large drawer will look "blank". I'm thinking of doing some type of inlay.

The smaller drawers have round ebony pulls turned from pen blanks and the medium sized drawer pulls are routed from ebony pen blanks as well.

James Mittlefehldt
05-07-2005, 12:42 AM
Dennis really nice I like it very much. Is the basic design from one in the toolbox book from Taunton Press?

I was also wondeing if you have any idea how much time you have invested in the project?

Dan Forman
05-07-2005, 3:13 AM
Super job Dennis!!! I can see why it's taken this long. Looks well thought out as far as tool storage too.

Dan

Jeff Sudmeier
05-07-2005, 7:11 AM
Wow Dennis, that tool chest really looks great! It is a fitting home for all of your wonderful tools.

Mark Singer
05-07-2005, 8:41 AM
Dennis, Great job! I love the woods together!

Louis Bois
05-07-2005, 9:02 AM
Hey! Where's the pull-out coffee cup holder?!? :eek::D

Lovely work Dennis...may it server you (and many future generations) well.

Jim Becker
05-07-2005, 10:02 AM
Wonderful cabinet!

That big drawer front is the perfect opportunity to do some inlay/marquetry, maybe combining the same mahogany, curly maple and perhaps some elbony and holly for accent. No time like the present to learn something new!

Tom Hurlebaus
05-07-2005, 10:07 AM
Dennis,

All I can say is WOW! I never thought about keeping my tools in the living room:)

Dennis McDonaugh
05-07-2005, 10:56 AM
Wonderful cabinet!

That big drawer front is the perfect opportunity to do some inlay/marquetry, maybe combining the same mahogany, curly maple and perhaps some elbony and holly for accent. No time like the present to learn something new!

That's what I thought Jim. The bottom drawers are mahogany trimmed with ebony and the top drawers are curly maple so I was thinking of a combination of the two somehow. I have to give it somethought.

Dennis McDonaugh
05-07-2005, 2:25 PM
Dennis really nice I like it very much. Is the basic design from one in the toolbox book from Taunton Press?

I was also wondeing if you have any idea how much time you have invested in the project?

Thanks James, its a conglomeration of different tool chests I've seen. I think the one it looks like most is in the Tool Box Book by Andy Rae. I have about 300 hours in it so far. I'll work two or three days in a row, then won't get back to it for weeks.

John Dingman
05-07-2005, 3:41 PM
Man oh Man Dennis :eek: :eek:

That is one awesome Tool Cabinet! Fantastic Job!

Thanks for sharing,
John

Tom Stovell
05-07-2005, 7:51 PM
Dennis,
Congratulations on creating your tool cabinet. It shows to everyone how serious you take both the craft and the tools. Nice job.

Tom