PDA

View Full Version : any beers I should try?

curtis rosche
03-05-2013, 10:36 PM
Diving into the world of beers I've found a few I like and alot I don't, any that you suggest trying?

I like lagers, some ales like golden monkey or guiness ale, or creamy ales. Absolutely no IPA's or stoudts .

Phil Thien
03-05-2013, 10:47 PM
Dortmunder Kronen.

Shawn Christ
03-05-2013, 11:01 PM
Oh boy, you will receive hundreds of answers in short order with that question. My suggestion: just start trying whatever sounds or looks good. You know your tastes better than any of us, and your taste will likely change over time. If there are locally brewed beers, start there. Just a few years ago I only drank light beer. Then I started drinking a few regular beers, lagers, then brown ales (Newcastle) and nut brown ales. Now my favorites are typically stouts --smooth and creamy, not bitter. My particular favorite is a local coffee stout... it combines beer and coffee in a single glass, what's not to like about that? And I'm like you -- not a huge fan of hoppy IPAs. Cheers!

curtis rosche
03-05-2013, 11:04 PM
And I'm like you -- not a huge fan of hoppy IPAs. Cheers!

bought a case of mixed from Victory brewing co. for my birthday,,,, drank the golden money (good) and the pils (ok) and couldnt tough the hopdevil or the headwaters ipa.

Shawn Pixley
03-05-2013, 11:20 PM
Samual Smith's Nut Brown Ale
Corsendonk
Pilsner Urquell
Dormunder Union
Chimay (all of them)
Bass Ale
Firestone Double Barrel Ale
Oranjeboom
Fuller's London Ale
Newcastle
Guinness
Boddington's
Beck's
Kona Longboard Lager
Kirin Ichiban
Singha
Eagle
i could go on...

Stephen Tashiro
03-05-2013, 11:25 PM
On the theme of made-in-the-usa, Shiner Octoberfest.

However, if you don't like your beer adulterated with fruity tastes, avoid the Shiner beer that advertises a hit of red grapefruit (yechh!) and many Belgium beers. I'd also avoid the sugary sweet "Panda" beer from China.

curtis rosche
03-05-2013, 11:35 PM
Samual Smith's Nut Brown Ale

Guinness
Boddington's

both of those were good.
I also love landshark. Im currently drinking a mix of golden money, and moosehead

Ken Fitzgerald
03-05-2013, 11:44 PM
Speight's Gold Medal Ale..but you'll have to leave the country to get it..... or any good Scottish Ale........Cold Smoke brewed in Missoula, MT is excellent.

Charles McKinley
03-06-2013, 12:39 AM
Yuengling! Amber Lager. I stick to PA beers.

Bernadette Semilla
03-06-2013, 2:10 AM
I'd recommend finding a place with a reputation for having clerks knowledgeable about beer or at least having a nice selection and just trying stuff out! If you have a healthy slew of breweries in your area (most places in North America do nowadays), you should get a nice feel for things pretty quickly. If you wanna learn more about beer or look up reviews for an idea of what's good and what your favourites are similar to, take a look at beeradvocate.com. Just remember the guys there are hardcore beer fans and can get perhaps a little snooty ;)

Rambling aside, I'm more of a stout and dark ale fan but Innis and Gunn Oak Aged Beer is something I'll recommend to anyone.

John Lanciani
03-06-2013, 6:52 AM
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/252/731

IMHO the best hefeweizen ever, and according to beer advocate I'm not the only one.

John Coloccia
03-06-2013, 7:27 AM
Speight's Gold Medal Ale..but you'll have to leave the country to get it..... or any good Scottish Ale........Cold Smoke brewed in Missoula, MT is excellent.

Oh, yes...I highly recommend McEwens Scotch Ale....very nice :)

phil harold
03-06-2013, 7:29 AM
Diving into the world of beers I've found a few I like and alot I don't, any that you suggest trying?

I like lagers, some ales like golden monkey or guiness ale, or creamy ales. Absolutely no IPA's or stoudts .

Try them all!
I have some leinenkugel in the fridge now

Dan Hintz
03-06-2013, 7:46 AM
If you start trying microbrews, don't bother keeping track of which ones you like... I've found them to come and go so often, it's not worth it. Now I just try whatever pale ale / wheat beer is available and hope it's good... I'm usually happy.

Joe Angrisani
03-06-2013, 8:16 AM
Yuengling! Amber Lager.....

YUMMY! Wish we could get it out west.

Sam Murdoch
03-06-2013, 8:24 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=2075171#post2075171)
Samual Smith's Nut Brown Ale, Guinness ,Boddington's...

Add Old Speckled Hen to this list and I'm happy to sit for a long spell with you :)

Ben Hatcher
03-06-2013, 8:32 AM
In order of the liklihood of availability in PA:
Carlsberg
Pacifico
Bells Amber
Czechvar
Zywiec
Tyskie
Fat Tire
Alaskan Amber

jim vancampen
03-06-2013, 8:41 AM
Pa has got some great local brews and a lot of them too. The names of the beers escape me, but whenever i visit the in-laws I try whatever I can find that is local.

Rich Engelhardt
03-06-2013, 9:18 AM
Try them all!
Gotta agree - there's just too many and everyone is going to have their own opinion of what's good.

John Pratt
03-06-2013, 9:28 AM
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/252/731

IMHO the best hefeweizen ever, and according to beer advocate I'm not the only one.

That is an excellent choice, I prefer the Dunkel biers since I like the richer taste.

Try Ratebeer.com

Joe Angrisani
03-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Can you guys get O'Dell's 90 Shilling Ale back east? New Belgium's Fat Tire gets all the air time, but I think 90 Shilling is the best mass market beer out of Fort Collins, CO.

There's been a lot of suggestions for bottled beer through 20 posts, but unless I've missed it, no one's talked about fresh brews on tap. Some of the best beers I've had have been on tap, and I'm sure the reason for that is freshness. Young and alive, they beat all, especially the Hefeweizens and yeast beers (though a nice rich unchilled stout is equally intense). So that would be my suggestion, Curtis. Find a local brewpub and have the barkeep pull you a couple of pints.

John Donofrio
03-06-2013, 11:04 AM
Answer to the thread name...

ALL OF THEM!

Find a place the has an 'Around the World' or 'Beers of the World' type program where you get one of every beer they carry. It's a fun way to try a bunch of new beers. Just don't try them all in one night! As a bonus, you'll usually get a small token of recognition for your efforts (and expenditures:eek:)

George Bokros
03-06-2013, 11:07 AM
I recommend staying away for the ones brewed by Great Lakes Brewing in Cleveland. I had several of their fare and all were not good in my opinion.

Some recommened;

Moosehead
Labatts Blue
Molson Ice
Molson Golden

Bryan Slimp
03-06-2013, 11:32 AM
I would offer the advice that you shouldn't automatically screen by type. You may find a particular IPA or Stout that you love. Go to different places and try sampler sizes if available.

As you try more and varied types you may refine your tastes and appreciate different subtleties that you would never have known existed before. Also, if you really want to get into it you should also go to a place that serves beer in the correct glass at the correct temperature. Like wine certain beers go well with certain foods and can enhance the flavors of what you are eating and drinking.

I once heard a beer expert/judge offer up his two favorite beers from the thousands he tried. They were cold and free.

Shawn Pixley
03-06-2013, 12:58 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=2075171#post2075171)

Add Old Speckled Hen to this list and I'm happy to sit for a long spell with you :)

Yes that another good one!

John Coloccia
03-06-2013, 1:07 PM
I would offer the advice that you shouldn't automatically screen by type. You may find a particular IPA or Stout that you love. Go to different places and try sampler sizes if available.

As you try more and varied types you may refine your tastes and appreciate different subtleties that you would never have known existed before. Also, if you really want to get into it you should also go to a place that serves beer in the correct glass at the correct temperature. Like wine certain beers go well with certain foods and can enhance the flavors of what you are eating and drinking.

I once heard a beer expert/judge offer up his two favorite beers from the thousands he tried. They were cold and free.

Good advice. I don't normally like IPA, but Lagunitas Maximus is excellent.

I've never seen 90 Shilling, Joe. I'll look for it because I do enjoy a good Scottish ale but I prefer Scotch ale....I'm a meaty beer kind of guy :) I think the Scotch ales are mostly Belgian at this point.

Doug W Swanson
03-06-2013, 1:26 PM
There are 3 kinds of beer:

1. Good beer
2. Free beer
3. Good, free beer

Here in MN, my favorite is Surly Beer. Some great varieties....

Joe Angrisani
03-06-2013, 2:01 PM
John...

Upon further review, 90 Shilling only makes it as far east as Illinios and Missouri. :(

http://odellbrewing.com/beer/90-shilling-ale/

Kevin Bourque
03-06-2013, 3:35 PM
I'd like to help you but I don't drink anymore.....I don't drink any less, either. :D

John Coloccia
03-06-2013, 3:38 PM
Arrogant Bastard is one of my favorite. I was very annoyed when it disappeared from a local pub.

Erik Loza
03-06-2013, 3:44 PM
AB is my very favorite pale ale but agreed: It is not for everyone. You could not pay my wife to drink it, for example.

Agree with the gentleman who said "try everything". That's what I do. See something new at the store, buy a few bottles. Have never run into a "bad" beer, just some I like enough to buy over and over and some, once was fine. Don't overthink it, just try everything. Here in Austin, we have several brewpubs that offer tasting flights of a dozen or so different brews. That's a great way to narrow down your tastes without committing to a bunch of bottles you might never actually drink.

My lunch the other day, by the way...

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i315/erikloza/Smilies/photo1.jpg

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

ken masoumi
03-06-2013, 3:50 PM
I recommend staying away for the ones brewed by Great Lakes Brewing in Cleveland. I had several of their fare and all were not good in my opinion.

Some recommened;

Moosehead
Labatts Blue
Molson Ice
Molson Golden
I'm surprised not many of you mentioned Canadian beers,I'm a not beer drinker but I have heard many Americans visiting here praised Canadian beers.

David Weaver
03-06-2013, 3:50 PM
"aggressive ale" sounds like something filthy. I haven't yet found a beer with the word Ale in it that's worth drinking.

Curtis lives close enough to yuengling to get the lager from the factory...fresh. Maybe once a month or so, and return the bottles.

I spent some time dating a girl who lived on mahontongo street not far up from the brewery. The smell from the brewery was so good that you could nearly catch a whiff of it, float off your feet (like in the cartoons) and follow the scent through the air in flight with toes twittering all the way to the source. There is no need or want of any other beer, everything else is a fill in for when you can't get fresh yuengling lager.

When I see accusations that someone else might not have the depth or ability to appreciate a taste in a beer, or this note or that note, it reminds me of people who try to explain simple concise things with big words to prove something useless.

And when I see beers that try to have catchy, hip or feigned offensive names, it makes me wonder why they're afraid of letting the beer speak for itself.

John Donofrio
03-06-2013, 4:04 PM
And when I see beers that try to have catchy, hip or feigned offensive names, it makes me wonder why they're afraid of letting the beer speak for itself.

AMEN

+10^1000 on Yuengling also

John Pratt
03-06-2013, 4:13 PM
There's been a lot of suggestions for bottled beer through 20 posts, but unless I've missed it, no one's talked about fresh brews on tap. Some of the best beers I've had have been on tap.

Guinness beer is a perfect example of a beer that is far better on tap than in the bottle. Especially when it is on tap in Ireland. It is like drinking smooth cream compared to the bottled stuff. I lived in Germany for eight years so I became somewaht spoiled when it comes to European beer (especially German bier).

phil harold
03-06-2013, 4:36 PM
[IMG]

Old Speckled Hen

Had a few them in England, infact was my favourite

Mel Fulks
03-06-2013, 4:59 PM
Canadian beers ,I like them. Stopped buying them because too many of them are old and skunky . Like steak too,when its not spoiled.

Brian Deakin
03-06-2013, 5:11 PM
Essential to all beers is how well they are kept by the landlord any good beer if badly kept is a poor drink

If you come across Marston,s Pedigree or Abbot ale ( both United kingdom beers ) If well kept you will I believe be very pleased

http://www.abbotale.co.uk/home.php

http://www.marstonspedigree.co.uk/

see the video in the bottom right hand corner on Marston site

regards Brian

Rod Sheridan
03-06-2013, 5:35 PM
On the Scottish Ale trend, Innis and Gunn have 2 ales that are aged in liqour barrels.

One is in rum barrels, I don't like it because it's a bit sweet

The other is in whiskey barrels which imparts a great smoky finish to it.

I do not know however if it's available locally.............Rod

Rod Sheridan
03-06-2013, 5:36 PM
Try them all!
I have some leinenkugel in the fridge now

Best Advice so far..........Rod.

Jim Matthews
03-06-2013, 5:51 PM
Delirium Tremens (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/180/1385) from Brouwerij Huyghe.

+1 on finding a place with a good selection and taking suggestions.
I don't always like the recommendations I recieve, but it's the only way to explore this without a roadmap.

Sam Murdoch
03-06-2013, 5:54 PM

I just noticed that this post about beer was my 1000 post on SawMill Creek. Not the subject that I expected to be my milestone post on the Creek - but hey it is cause for a celebration and so what could be more appropriate than a tasty cold one :cool:. You are all welcome to join me. :D Thanks for the good company!

Keith Christopher
03-06-2013, 6:16 PM
Best IPA in my opinion

DuClaw Hellrazer

runner up

Dogfish head 60 minute

but my fav spring/summer.......Sam Adams Summer!!!! So so good.

Keith Christopher
03-06-2013, 6:53 PM
"aggressive ale" sounds like something filthy. I haven't yet found a beer with the word Ale in it that's worth drinking.

Curtis lives close enough to yuengling to get the lager from the factory...fresh. Maybe once a month or so, and return the bottles.
a fill in for when you can't get fresh yuengling lager.

When I see accusations that someone else might not have the depth or ability to appreciate a taste in a beer, or this note or that note, it reminds me of people who try to explain simple concise things with big words to prove something useless.

David,

You're a friend of the german beers then. Typically lagers and pils are german branded and since the american beer industry was pioneered by the germans the typical american palate leans that way.

Lager yeast is a bottom fermenting yeast and is chilled when fermenting (typically 40-50deg F) and produces a light 'crisp' beer. typically 3-7%abv
Ale yeast is a top fermenting yeast and ferments at higher temps (70-72deg F) and produces a more 'full bodied beer and mouth feel' typically 5 or > %abv
Steam beers are lagers fermented at Ale temps.

I've been brewing for about 5 years now and I make a wicked IPA I call 'mahogany' due to the color. I avoid lagers as there is too much fussing with them.

But big words for something useless is what happens when they taste your fav beer before giving it the nod to be bottled. :) I kid....

I think the useless part comes in when someone gets snobby about their personal prefs.

I prefer IPAs I like the hoppy beers better (well except for the wheat beers I like) Yuengling is like drinking water to me.

To each their own I say,

Mel Fulks
03-06-2013, 7:20 PM
Brian is right about proper storage,but I've never had any Grolsch or Bass that was off. Just the Canadian stuff.Maybe there is just something in it that makes it go bad faster.

David Weaver
03-06-2013, 7:50 PM
David,

You're a friend of the german beers then. Typically lagers and pils are german branded and since the american beer industry was pioneered by the germans the typical american palate leans that way.

Lager yeast is a bottom fermenting yeast and is chilled when fermenting (typically 40-50deg F) and produces a light 'crisp' beer. typically 3-7%abv
Ale yeast is a top fermenting yeast and ferments at higher temps (70-72deg F) and produces a more 'full bodied beer and mouth feel' typically 5 or > %abv
Steam beers are lagers fermented at Ale temps.

I've been brewing for about 5 years now and I make a wicked IPA I call 'mahogany' due to the color. I avoid lagers as there is too much fussing with them.

But big words for something useless is what happens when they taste your fav beer before giving it the nod to be bottled. :) I kid....

I think the useless part comes in when someone gets snobby about their personal prefs.

I prefer IPAs I like the hoppy beers better (well except for the wheat beers I like) Yuengling is like drinking water to me.

To each their own I say,

I do like guinness, too, but I cannot get along with the cans or the bottles. I like my beer to be something I can drink casually but still taste like beer. Yuengling fits that well, penn pilsner that's brewed here are both good beers, but the latter is a bit expensive for my taste. I do think there's an element of is it good or isn't it good, and if someone has to explain why it's good in extreme technical nature, then something must be missing. The german fits, though, I've got nothing in my bloodlines but german and german swiss until I ruined it going forward by marrying a woman who is 1/4th italian. The germans in central PA didn't get very far for hundreds of years, and they had to marry others of the same ilk because nobody else would put up with their thrift.

Mel mentions grolsch, that's good, too. I guess it's not too far away in the spectrum.

My ire is also driven by the husbands of my wife's friends who I'm convinced drink lots of trendy beers that just don't taste that good, but they drink them because they want people to think how thoughtful and cute the packaging, flavor concoctions and names are. But most of them just aren't very good, which they often confirm "I don't think I like this one". Yeah, nobody does, the maker spent tons of money and time trying to figure out how to make it look cool, but they made it taste like they forgot to develop what it actually is. Put some yuengling lager, porter or penn pilsner in the cooler so that the rest of us can relax and enjoy something. No need to stoop to the level of any of the predatory beers that strongarm distributors and set policy based on legal intimidation and race car marketing, but a good plain local beer would be fine, and I won't tell anyone that the hubbies are so uncool for not having a beer with a picture of some guy hanging upside down with an umbrella over a madchen sitting somewhere with a poodle, orsome other goofy label that makes no sense on a beer.

Mel Fulks
03-06-2013, 8:02 PM
I agree, David. It's gotten so bad that I won't try any new beer without reading the label first ,some of them have fruit juice in them. Tasted a free one once and hated it.

David Weaver
03-06-2013, 8:09 PM
I agree, David. It's gotten so bad that I won't try any new beer without reading the label first ,some of them have fruit juice in them. Tasted a free one once and hated it.

Dead right on. Hubbies club beer chests are often filled with beers that have cherries or berries or something goofy like that in them. Awful awful awful. Save the berries for perfumes and tortes.

Jason Roehl
03-06-2013, 8:09 PM
I would think that if somebody can wax eloquently about the nuances of their chosen profession or hobby, they might cut some slack to those who take a similar level of interest in the finer points of a different profession or hobby.

I like beer. Many different kinds, though my tastes have strayed away from the sweeter ones--I just don't care to drink them (unless they're free and offered to me). I drank MGD (bottles only) in college and shortly after, then progressed to Killian's and Dundee's Honey Brown. Then there was Newcastle, then I found a local brewpub. Now all those previous beers taste like water to me. Ales, porters, stouts are my staples, but in the last couple years, I lifted my ban on IPAs when I discovered one I liked at a different local brewery. Now I've had many different kinds, and truly enjoy the intense bitterness and hoppy flavor. Can I distinguish the different varieties of hops? Nope--I just don't care that much (but I may in the future as I do more homebrewing). I have a fairly sensitive olfactory organ (has lots of surface area, if you know what I mean), but I haven't "trained" to name all the flavors I detect in a beer, mostly because I just want to drink the beer.

David Weaver
03-06-2013, 8:14 PM
I would think that if somebody can wax eloquently about the nuances of their chosen profession or hobby, they might cut some slack to those who take a similar level of interest in the finer points of a different profession or hobby.

I like beer. Many different kinds, though my tastes have strayed away from the sweeter ones--I just don't care to drink them (unless they're free and offered to me). I drank MGD (bottles only) in college and shortly after, then progressed to Killian's and Dundee's Honey Brown. Then there was Newcastle, then I found a local brewpub. Now all those previous beers taste like water to me. Ales, porters, stouts are my staples, but in the last couple years, I lifted my ban on IPAs when I discovered one I liked at a different local brewery. Now I've had many different kinds, and truly enjoy the intense bitterness and hoppy flavor. Can I distinguish the different varieties of hops? Nope--I just don't care that much (but I may in the future as I do more homebrewing). I have a fairly sensitive olfactory organ (has lots of surface area, if you know what I mean), but I haven't "trained" to name all the flavors I detect in a beer, mostly because I just want to drink the beer.

By all means, if you like to examine the details, I'm not putting anyone down about that until it becomes a peeing contest to them and they like to insult someone else who feels like it's fine to enjoy something without joining the contest to be able to express the wonderment 15 different ways.

Same with the music snobs. It's fine if someone else likes to spend a lot of time in the indie scene wringing their hands over why this act or that act is better than anything commercial at the time, but start slinging barbs at people who don't get the same excitement about trying to know something that they think someone else doesn't (that's really what it's about, anyway), and if I don't have an exit route, which I would gladly take any time some of that stuff starts up, then I've got no choice but to call it out.

John Coloccia
03-06-2013, 8:35 PM
What's going on with this place lately? Do you think we could have a discussion about BEER without someone getting upset?

Ken Fitzgerald
03-06-2013, 9:11 PM
Folks,

I will remind everybody that a friendly, civil attitude is expected here at SMC.

Surely we haven't become so bigoted that we don't allow others to have a different taste in beer or music and be able to express those differences without insulting each other.

Come on Man!

Shawn Pixley
03-06-2013, 9:12 PM
[QUOTE=David Weaver; ... I haven't yet found a beer with the word Ale in it that's worth drinking...
[/QUOTE]

Heretic! ;)

Shawn Pixley
03-06-2013, 9:15 PM
Guinness beer is a perfect example of a beer that is far better on tap than in the bottle. Especially when it is on tap in Ireland. It is like drinking smooth cream compared to the bottled stuff.

Amen brother!

Curt Fuller
03-06-2013, 9:17 PM
Busch Light....on sale!

David Weaver
03-06-2013, 9:18 PM
Heretic! ;)

I got a giggle out of that. :) i see the post that I responded to is gone left to leave me to either trim my posts or look like a crazy lunatic. I'm fine with the latter.

Shawn Pixley
03-06-2013, 9:19 PM
I was a serious home brewer for a couple decades. I did pretty well in the competitions. Ultimately, I determined my favorites to make were Stouts, Porters, Northern English Brown Ales, Belgian Wit, Czech Lagers, and the odd Heffeweisen for SWMBO. That reminds me, I should brew a batch....

Joe Angrisani
03-06-2013, 10:34 PM
Guinness beer is a perfect example of a beer that is far better on tap than in the bottle. Especially when it is on tap in Ireland. It is like drinking smooth cream compared to the bottled stuff.

Amen brother!

It's more than just Guinness. I believe the delivery system is the main reason some people dislike stouts and porters. They drink them too cold and too fizzy.

There's a big brewpub here in Denver, one of the oldest, Wynkoop Brewing (say Win-coop). The stouts and such are on a different system and are pumped by hand at the tap; the beer isn't pushed via pressurized gas. I forget what they call it, but it delivers the dark stuff without adding any fizz. It just flows out of the tap as they pump the handle. Anyway....the stouts are rich and full of flavor because it's not coming out of a fridge. Basement temp beer....room temperture glass....that's how you want to greet your stout.

So Curtis.... If you find yourself in a pub that can offer you a "proper" stout, try it again. The richness and creaminess is not there when it's too cold.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-06-2013, 10:54 PM
On a typical Friday night, my wife and I can be found at a local family owned and operated Mexican restaurant. While I have purchased 1 time, 1 6-pack of Dos Equis Amber ale in the bottle, it doesn't compare to the Dos Equis Amber ale I purchase on tap at this local restaurant.

I think you are right Joe. I think it's as much the delivery system, the makeup of the storage vessel (glass vs stainless steel vs aluminum) and temperature.

But while I like Speights Gold Medal Ale, Cold Smoke Scotch ale and Dos Equis Amber Ale on tap........and while I have 15 - 16 oz cans of Cold Smoke cooling in our 2nd refrigerator 20 feet from me....there is also a case of Bud in there too. Not everybody likes a dark beer as a Scotch ale...and some days you feel a Scotch ale ....some days you don't.

The main thing Curtis.....you have a lot of life left ahead of you......don't try drink it all tonight ........and don't be afraid to try different brews.......

curtis rosche
03-06-2013, 11:18 PM
It's more than just Guinness. I believe the delivery system is the main reason some people dislike stouts and porters. They drink them too cold and too fizzy.

There's a big brewpub here in Denver, one of the oldest, Wynkoop Brewing (say Win-coop). The stouts and such are on a different system and are pumped by hand at the tap; the beer isn't pushed via pressurized gas. I forget what they call it, but it delivers the dark stuff without adding any fizz. It just flows out of the tap as they pump the handle. Anyway....the stouts are rich and full of flavor because it's not coming out of a fridge. Basement temp beer....room temperture glass....that's how you want to greet your stout.

So Curtis.... If you find yourself in a pub that can offer you a "proper" stout, try it again. The richness and creaminess is not there when it's too cold.

maybe thats my problem,, I stuck the bottles in the fridge thats almost to freezing,,, tasted so bitter and gross to me.

Joe Angrisani
03-06-2013, 11:48 PM
maybe thats my problem,, I stuck the bottles in the fridge thats almost to freezing....

That's too cold for almost any beer.

Try this experiment. Put two of your favorite beers in your "almost to freezing" fridge. The next day, take one out and put it on the counter. Thirty minutes later open it and pour it in a glass, and get the second beer from the fridge and pour it in a glass as well. Compare the two, and I just about guarantee the one that was allowed to warm just a bit has richer flavors. It'll still be cool and refreshing - I'm not talking warm beer. But try to avoid wicked cold.

curtis rosche
03-06-2013, 11:53 PM

Try this experiment. Put two of your favorite beers in your "almost to freezing" fridge. The next day, take one out and put it on the counter. Thirty minutes later open it and pour it in a glass, and get the second beer from the fridge and pour it in a glass as well. Compare the two, and I just about guarantee the one that was allowed to warm just a bit has richer flavors. It'll still be cool and refreshing - I'm not talking warm beer. But try to avoid wicked cold.

I since adjusted it, after I had a beer freeze after the first sip, kinda funny.

Keith Christopher
03-07-2013, 8:14 AM
My ire is also driven by the husbands of my wife's friends who I'm convinced drink lots of trendy beers that just don't taste that good, but they drink them because they want people to think how thoughtful and cute the packaging, flavor concoctions and names are. But most of them just aren't very good, which they often confirm "I don't think I like this one". Yeah, nobody does, the maker spent tons of money and time trying to figure out how to make it look cool, but they made it taste like they forgot to develop what it actually is. Put some yuengling lager, porter or penn pilsner in the cooler so that the rest of us can relax and enjoy something. No need to stoop to the level of any of the predatory beers that strongarm distributors and set policy based on legal intimidation and race car marketing, but a good plain local beer would be fine, and I won't tell anyone that the hubbies are so uncool for not having a beer with a picture of some guy hanging upside down with an umbrella over a madchen sitting somewhere with a poodle, orsome other goofy label that makes no sense on a beer.

To this I completely agree. I enjoy the craft beers, but I am also not afraid to call a s#$t beer s#$t.

David Weaver
03-07-2013, 8:28 AM

Yum. An unheated and uninsulated basement is a good place to keep beers and drink them at basement temperature, ground temperature, whatever. That might be a little too warm for some peoples' taste but it's about where I like it.

Keith Christopher
03-07-2013, 8:28 AM
On a typical Friday night, my wife and I can be found at a local family owned and operated Mexican restaurant. While I have purchased 1 time, 1 6-pack of Dos Equis Amber ale in the bottle, it doesn't compare to the Dos Equis Amber ale I purchase on tap at this local restaurant.

I think you are right Joe. I think it's as much the delivery system, the makeup of the storage vessel (glass vs stainless steel vs aluminum) and temperature.

Oh I agree, on tap is better than in the bottle/can. When traveling in Jamaica I was drinking red stripe like it was going out of style, a REALLY good beer I was impressed. Got state side and had one, it did not taste the same. Then I found out why. imports have to be pasteurized. :( that sucks because it is truly a good beer in its native form.

I will say while I am not a fan of bud or any brands there of, I toured the AB plant at busch gardens a long while back and they gave you 2 cups of beer straight off the line. The beer was Michelob and I have to admit straight from the factory, it was pretty amazing.guess something happens to it after it sits in a bottle too long.

There is a local pub here which has like 32 taps, I love hanging there with my friends sometimes, the beer is good and the conversations lighthearted and fun.

Mahogany a couple of weeks to bottling. :)

fred marcuson
03-07-2013, 8:32 AM
go get a case of yuengling bock while you can :)
it's only out this time of the year :)

Joe Angrisani
03-07-2013, 8:43 AM
Oh I agree, on tap is better than in the bottle/can.....

Just to clarify: The stouts I was talking about at Wynkoop Brewing are not just "on tap" as Ken and Keith speak of. It's more like the old fashioned water pump, where one stroke delivers a few ounces of beer. It's not your typical tap where you open the valve and beer comes out until you close it. Some kind of siphon tap bringing it up from the basement. Three or four slow pumps, and the glass is full. It's that lack of pressure, I think, (along with cellar temp brew and room-temp glass) that makes the stout shine at Wynkoop.

If you ever find yourself in a brewpub that offers this type of delivery on the dark stuff, give it a try. Especially if you think you aren't a stout person.

Rod Sheridan
03-07-2013, 8:58 AM
maybe thats my problem,, I stuck the bottles in the fridge thats almost to freezing,,, tasted so bitter and gross to me.

I find beer is often served far too cold, you can't taste a thing when it's that cold.

Of course for some beers, that's a merciful approach.

My basement is cool, that's where the beer is, not in the fridge.

Often when I'm out for a beer, I'll let the beer breathe for 20 minutes in the mug before I drink it, warms up a bit, tastes better.

Regards, Rod.

Phil Thien
03-07-2013, 9:03 AM
I'm thrilled I'm not a connoisseur of beers. I like PBR (Pabst Blue Ribbon) quite a bit.

I've had an awful lot of beer that was hyped by friends and thought "what is the hype about, this just isn't that great."

I also like Folgers coffee just fine.

David Weaver
03-07-2013, 9:06 AM
I also like Folgers coffee just fine.

Count me on that, also. Maxwell House, not so much, but folgers is just fine.

Rich Engelhardt
03-07-2013, 9:22 AM
I'm thrilled I'm not a connoisseur of beers. I like PBR (Pabst Blue Ribbon) quite a bit.
I'm not a connoisseur of beer for sure....

I like Busch Natural Light. But...only when the local bowling alley has their Friday night quarter special.
$.25 a game, $.25 for a hot dog, $.25 for a 12 ounce glass of Natty Light.

For five bucks you can have some fun, get half skunked and eat a meal.. ;).

Erik Loza
03-07-2013, 9:27 AM
I'm thrilled I'm not a connoisseur of beers. I like PBR (Pabst Blue Ribbon) quite a bit. I've had an awful lot of beer that was hyped by friends and thought "what is the hype about, this just isn't that great."

That is funny. We are about to get invaded here by Hipsters, due to the SXSW music/film festival and their signature beer is PBR. It has been years since I tried one; not really a fan of the super-light domestic lagers but have to say, had a neighbor show up with an ice-cold can of Coors Light the other day. We had both been working in our yards, it was hot out (Texas...), and that beer tasted great at that moment! You and he probably have the same palate; don't want to "explore" too much, just have a cold beer that goes down smoothly and does not taste funny, LOL. My wife is the exact same way. Her favorite beers are lagers: Sol from Mexico and then Imperial from Costa Rica.

A suggestion: If you are interested in exploring a beer that is easy on the palate but also a bit more interesting, you might consider a hefeweizen like Blue Moon. That is my wife's beer of choice if we are out where micro-brews are offered. Good when serve cold and also very light on the palate, no hoppy taste. Just a thought...

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

John Coloccia
03-07-2013, 9:36 AM
That is funny. We are about to get invaded here by Hipsters, due to the SXSW music/film festival and their signature beer is PBR. It has been years since I tried one; not really a fan of the super-light domestic lagers but have to say, had a neighbor show up with an ice-cold can of Coors Light the other day. We had both been working in our yards, it was hot out (Texas...), and that beer tasted great at that moment! You and he probably have the same palate; don't want to "explore" too much, just have a cold beer that goes down smoothly and does not taste funny, LOL. My wife is the exact same way. Her favorite beers are lagers: Sol from Mexico and then Imperial from Costa Rica.

A suggestion: If you are interested in exploring a beer that is easy on the palate but also a bit more interesting, you might consider a hefeweizen like Blue Moon. That is my wife's beer of choice if we are out where micro-brews are offered. Good when serve cold and also very light on the palate, no hoppy taste. Just a thought...

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

You know, I really dislike light beers too. My wife loves Pillsners. I can't stand them. I will say this, though....

Remember those little beer bottles that we used to be able to get...I think they were mostly Budweiser. They looked like little hand grenades. When I was growing up, it was so common to see a guy working hard, stop for lunch, open his cooler and out would come a sandwich and a little beer bottle. Man, there is nothing better after busting your butt outside in the hot sun than to sit under some shade and crack open an ice cold Bud.

Joe Angrisani
03-07-2013, 9:59 AM
.....Remember those little beer bottles that we used to be able to get...I think they were mostly Budweiser. They looked like little hand grenades.....

Pony bottles. Eight packs of 7oz bottles. That takes me back to beach bonfires and chasing girls whose names I've long since forgotten....

Mel Fulks
03-07-2013, 10:00 AM
I agree on that temperature point.Like my cold drinks cool room temperature .In winter just keeping them in kitchen base cabinet floor shelf is good enough. In warm weather I use fridge,but set them out for a while before drinking.

Erik Loza
03-07-2013, 10:51 AM
You know, I really dislike light beers too. My wife loves Pillsners. I can't stand them. I will say this, though....

Remember those little beer bottles that we used to be able to get...I think they were mostly Budweiser. They looked like little hand grenades. When I was growing up, it was so common to see a guy working hard, stop for lunch, open his cooler and out would come a sandwich and a little beer bottle. Man, there is nothing better after busting your butt outside in the hot sun than to sit under some shade and crack open an ice cold Bud.

To be totally honest, the actual beer I have consumed the most of by voume is without a doubt, Miller Genuine Draft. It pretty much defined my college years. One of my roommates and his buddies experimented with micro-brewing and were always asking me to try this or that beer they had concocted. They all tasted like skunk juice to me and MGD was "safe", so that's what I stuck with. In hindsight, the truth probably was that their brews were in fact, just terrible anyway, since they were a bunch of potheads and probably incapable of doing any type of chemistry correctly because they were so high all the time, Micro-brews just never got off to a good start in my book.

Later, the company I worked for was doing a job in Berkeley and we ate that the Pyramid Brewery for something like a week, straight. I remember trying their house hefeweizen, liking it, then trying a few of their others. That's how it started. Yo0u are right, though. There is nothing wrong with a really cold domestic lager on a hot day.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Montgomery Scott
03-07-2013, 11:42 AM
Apparently the sense of humor is gone as well. Smebody might have otherwise recognized the quote from the AB label. I guess this is why SMC has the reputation it does.

Jim Koepke
03-07-2013, 1:02 PM
How did I miss this thread?

The biggest problem with trying to recommend a particular beer in a forum such as this is many beers do not get outside of the region where they are brewed.

Some like Sam Adams do have nation wide distribution. Others like Anchor (from San Francisco) do not have as wide a distribution.

Portland, OR has the highest ratio of breweries to people of any city in the U.S. Last time I heard this statistic there was only one city with a higher ratio and that is in Germany. Many of the breweries in Portland only sell in their own pubs. Many never see the inside of a bottle. Same story in California.

Mendocino Brewing in Northern California makes some fine brews, they are bottled, but the brewery admits that some of them do not travel well.

The bar has some great mixes of their brews. One as I recall is called the patriot, Red Tail Ale, White Hawk and Blue Heron. Some call it a red, white and blue.

There is a brew mix that some say you shouldn't order in parts of Canada called a Black & Tan, Newcastle brown ale with a Guinness float. There is actually a special spoon made to make it easy for a bar tender to make this drink and keeping the two brews separate when serving.

I like it with Guinness and Blue Heron and call it a black & blue.

Anderson Valley Brewing makes an Oatmeal Stout as does Samuel Smith in England. Surely there are a few others that also make such a beverage. I like it and the slogan on the bottle, "It's not just shy sluggin' gorms neemer." The brewery is located in Boonville which had a very peculiar dialect called Boontling. It has all but died out with just a few locals who still converse. The phrase means, "it's not just for breakfast anymore."

Another great west coast brewery is Pyramid. One of theirs is among my favorites. They do it in different styles but it has apricots included in the fermenting tank. Other breweries do similar tricks with cherries or strawberries. My wife dislikes beer, but says she could drink the strawberry blonde.

I know of at least a few cities here in the west that have what are known as pub crawls. It is a group tour where a person gets a drink or two at each pub on the tour.

In the height of summer, Portland, OR seems to have a beer festival just about every weekend. There is local, state wide, north west, national and international with a few others thrown in for the fun of it.

jtk

Ken Fitzgerald
03-07-2013, 1:08 PM
Apparently the sense of humor is gone as well. Smebody might have otherwise recognized the quote from the AB label. I guess this is why SMC has the reputation it does.

In as much as there was no indication of it being a quote or being said in jest, I had little problem deleting it. Obviously by at least one other persons response to it, it wasn't well received by another member either.

Reputation? Yes....you must play in a civil, friendly manner to play here at the Creek!

David Weaver
03-07-2013, 1:36 PM
Reputation? Yes....you must play in a civil, friendly manner to play here at the Creek!

Roger that. It's very easy when you say that you said something in humor to just say nasty things to other people and then always hide behind "oh, it was a joke, couldn't you tell?". While it may not have been the intention in this thread, it's taken to a near professional level by posters on other forums where you can claim that and get away with it.

Bob Rufener
03-07-2013, 3:11 PM
If you ever get to Wisconsin, I would recommend Spotted Cow which is brewed in a small brewery in New Glarus, WI. They have a few other good ones as well but I like this one the best.

John Coloccia
03-07-2013, 3:55 PM
Pony bottles. Eight packs of 7oz bottles. That takes me back to beach bonfires and chasing girls whose names I've long since forgotten....

Yes, exactly. I couldn't remember what they were called! I think what made them great is they stayed cold to the last sip. Makes sense. Area goes up as the square, but volume goes as the cube, so there's a lot more glass per unit beer. Nothing better on a hot, sunny day.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-07-2013, 4:26 PM
You young guys wouldn't remember...but as a 6th grader in Craig, CO in 1961, I used walk along the highway and pick up the little bitty Coors aluminum cans....as Coors would buy them back and recycle the aluminum. Those cans had to be in the 3 or 4 oz range......

Further research shows the cans were 7 oz......

David Weaver
03-07-2013, 4:41 PM
ponies were popular with rolling rock here when it was brewed in latrobe, too. I don't know if I ever had one, but they sure pushed them.

They cancelled them after they were bought out. We're just not a society that goes small with anything any longer.

I remember plastic 10 ounce bottles of coke being offered alongside 12 ounce cans, too. And there was no such thing as a 20 or 24 ounce bottle at the time, just 12 and 16.

Jason Roehl
03-07-2013, 5:41 PM
There are plenty of things that we could certainly stand to revert to smaller sizes, but in my book, beer wouldn't be one of them! Since I installed a dual-tap kegerator in December, I've gotten used to drinking pints. I just bought a Sam Adams variety pack, and I'll be darned if drinking a 12 oz bottle just doesn't seem like the proper amount of beer.

When I was 15, I lived in Brazil for a year. In THEORY, the drinking age was 18... :D There were two main beers sold: Brahma Chopp, and Cerveja Antarctica. The Brahma was more common, but the Antarctica was better in my then-young opinion. I would love to have some of each now, just to see what they're like, as after that year I didn't have much beer for a few...uhhh...five more years, and didn't really start drinking craft brews until I was about 30. The best thing was that the beer was sold in 750 mL bottles!

As for soda, I don't drink much of it, but I do have a 7.5 oz can of Coca-Cola in the fridge right now. I'd have to ask the wife from whence it came.

Keith Christopher
03-07-2013, 10:09 PM
In southern Md they still put bud light in 10oz cans, it's just a thing there. Anyone remember pull tabs ?

Joe Angrisani
03-08-2013, 8:58 AM
.....Anyone remember pull tabs ?

Not only do I remember pull tabs....I remember pull tab chains made into doorway "curtains" (like the one's made from beads). Groovy, man....

Adam Cruea
03-08-2013, 9:56 AM
No IPAs? Just curious, but why?

I'll admit some are not good, but some are decent. I recently tried the Dogfish 120 IPA. Not only did it put me on my butt, it was tasty.

I would say try anything from Dogfish. I'm not a huge IPA guy either, and a lot of their brews are good. My personal favorite in their line is the Midas Touch.

Heavy Seas is another good brewery. Sierra Nevada is not bad. DuClaw is okay.

21st Amendment Brewery has one called "Fireside Chat Winter Spiced Ale" and it is very good.

curtis rosche
03-08-2013, 2:56 PM
No IPAs? Just curious, but why?

I'll admit some are not good, but some are decent. I recently tried the Dogfish 120 IPA. Not only did it put me on my butt, it was tasty.

I would say try anything from Dogfish. I'm not a huge IPA guy either, and a lot of their brews are good. My personal favorite in their line is the Midas Touch.

Heavy Seas is another good brewery. Sierra Nevada is not bad. DuClaw is okay.

21st Amendment Brewery has one called "Fireside Chat Winter Spiced Ale" and it is very good.

I bought a case of dogfish head 60minute, I got half way through a bottle before I had to spit it out, I traded the rest of the case for some stella artois

Brad Sperr
03-08-2013, 3:48 PM
I bought a case of dogfish head 60minute, I got half way through a bottle before I had to spit it out, I traded the rest of the case for some stella artois

I think that IPAs can be an acquired taste. Once you get used to the hoppy bitterness, the taste becomes very refreshing. Before you give up on the entire style, try a "west coast" IPA like "brew free or die" from 21st Amendment or "west coast IPA" from Green Flash. The west coast style uses more American hops and is, in my opinion, sweeter and more resiny than east coast IPAs. It's a little bolder tasting, and probably more bitter, than DFH 60-minute, but it might be more up your alley.

Bill Rogers
03-08-2013, 4:08 PM
You can try one of my favorite two beers: Free and (or) Cold.

Peter Kelly
03-08-2013, 5:41 PM

I like lagers, some ales like golden monkey or guiness ale, or creamy ales. Absolutely no IPA's or stoudts .You ought to drop by Victory Brewing Company in Downingtown. It's right down route 30 from Paradise and around the corner from Woodcraft. Just make sure you stop by Woodcraft before hitting the brewery...

Don Williams Michigan
03-08-2013, 6:06 PM
If anyone can get a hold of Bells Brewery "Oberon" it is very good. Bells is located in Kalamazoo Michigan and has developed quite a following. Oberon is only produced in the Spring / Summer but if you can get a hold of it, try it.

I was formally in the bar business and have tried my share. Day in and day out Oberon would be my choice.
Not affiliated in any way except by purchases.

Mark Levitski
03-09-2013, 8:51 AM
Bell's is a great brewery. I'm from WI, so I too second the New Glarus recommendation. However, if you can try any Southern Tier from NY, it is across the board excellent.

Fresh is absolutley better, and straight from the vat at the brewery to the tap at the bar can't be beat. I used to live in MT, and the brewpup in Missoula in the old train station was a treat.

Like anything, you have to get around all the marketing and merchandising with the label design and catchy names. However, when you know that you have brewed a good beer and are proud of it, you naturally want to get people to try it and thus get creative with naming it it. I have tasted a lot of crappy beers tho' with catchy names.

Paul Canaris
03-10-2013, 10:08 AM
Anything by Samuel Smith http://www.samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk/;not to be confused with Samuel Adams which are merely good, just notgreat. These were the beer's that informed that not all beer is created equal.

Belgian Ales; darn near any are all great. Blue Moon is one you will find widely distributed in the US. Belgian ales are my personal favorite.

Wheat Beers,can be very good.

Get a copy of Michael Jackson’s (not the guy who moon danced) "Beers of the World", it will give you a good start.

Brew your own; you can make as good as you can buy at half the price and variations that are not even commercially marketed.

Larry Whitlow
03-11-2013, 2:02 AM

I agree it is all about the delivery. For some reason a Dos Equis tastes better sitting on a warm beach in Cabo.

Pat Barry
03-11-2013, 8:19 PM
My favorite. Always go back to this for general purpose, at home, amusement.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVcbasIb8lQ
Of course, what do I know with 40+ years of satisfaction. Now don't get me wrong. I try new brews ALL THE TIME. I love Guinness, Sam Adams, Fat Tire, Grain Belt Premium, Becks, Bass Ale, blah blah blah. Lighter the beer = colder it should be in my opinion, but that's my taste. That's why I keep the Bud at nearly freezing, and the Guinness is served cool in Ireland but not room temp.
By the way, great subject matter and commentary here in these postings - just proves everyone is different and variety is the spice of life.

curtis rosche
03-11-2013, 8:40 PM
My favorite. Always go back to this for general purpose, at home, amusement.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVcbasIb8lQ
Of course, what do I know with 40+ years of satisfaction. Now don't get me wrong. I try new brews ALL THE TIME. I love Guinness, Sam Adams, Fat Tire, Grain Belt Premium, Becks, Bass Ale, blah blah blah. Lighter the beer = colder it should be in my opinion, but that's my taste. That's why I keep the Bud at nearly freezing, and the Guinness is served cool in Ireland but not room temp.
By the way, great subject matter and commentary here in these postings - just proves everyone is different and variety is the spice of life.

I was gonna post it on my birthday, but didnt feel right with the number of sobriety posts at the time. Im glad i didnt upset anyone with this thread

curtis rosche
03-11-2013, 8:45 PM
So an update

tried:
pbr
blue moon
guinness ,draight, lager, ale,
boddingtons
golden monkey
prima pils
yueingling
stella atrois
rolling rock
budweiser
and a few others i cant remember the name. Im hoping i have a chance during spring break to hit iron hill brewery in lancaster, and a few other micro brew places

Jay Jolliffe
03-11-2013, 8:58 PM
Your young so you might as well try them all...6 pages over beer...what's this place coming too :D

curtis rosche
03-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Your young so you might as well try them all...6 pages over beer...what's this place coming too :D

I feel after this thread, there will be a lull in the finished projects forum for a few weeks

Mike Null
03-12-2013, 6:56 AM
Being from St. Louis Bud is the king here and two of my neighbors work there. They get free Bud. I advised them that I didn't consider Budweiser beer since it is made with rice so they didn't offer me any freebies which I would have declined anyway.

The best beer here in St. Louis is Schlafly's. They make several varieties but the Pale Ale is my favorite. It is a quality beer on a scale with the best micro breweries.

The best beer in the world-for my money- is Kolsch-brewed in Cologne, Germany. It is properly served on tap in a .2 liter glass. Smooth and flavorful and very fresh. It is the beer of Cologne and is served only in that area. They do bottle some but it isn't the same.

Larry Whitlow
03-13-2013, 1:18 AM
Anyone remember Falstaff, Hamms, or Burgermeister ( a cold Burgie!).

Jason Roehl
03-13-2013, 5:00 AM

Never heard of Burgermeister, I've heard of Falstaff, and I've had Hamm's--drink it very cold, so that you kill any taste that goat water has. ;)

Tyler A Anderson
03-18-2013, 11:23 PM
I like most beers - some more than others

Oskar Blues -I like Old Chub -best beer offered in a can
Ive never had a bad beer by Sierra Nevada
La fin du monde by Unibroue is excellent if you can find it
Lagunitas makes some great beers

Sean Hughto
03-20-2013, 5:41 PM
Great stuff!

Paul McGaha
03-20-2013, 5:55 PM
I like Budwieser the best.

Maybe Coor's Banquet Beer 2nd best.

PHM

Rich Stewart
03-21-2013, 12:58 PM
I didn't read this entire post so if this has already been mentioned, sorry. I had a Brazilian beer at a Brazilian steakhouse in Philyy a couple yaers ago and it was great. Nova Shinn. Haven't ever been able to find it again, but it was an awesome tasting beer. Other than that, I am pretty much a Busch drinker. Since they changed the sugar in Bud, if i drink a six I wake up with a nasty headache, greasy squirts, and other terribleness. I'd go without before drinking a buttwiper.

curtis rosche
03-21-2013, 11:24 PM
I didn't read this entire post so if this has already been mentioned, sorry. I had a Brazilian beer at a Brazilian steakhouse in Philyy a couple yaers ago and it was great. Nova Shinn. Haven't ever been able to find it again, but it was an awesome tasting beer. Other than that, I am pretty much a Busch drinker. Since they changed the sugar in Bud, if i drink a six I wake up with a nasty headache, greasy squirts, and other terribleness. I'd go without before drinking a buttwiper.

Are you talking about Fogo de choa in Philly? That place is always good

Rich Engelhardt
03-22-2013, 1:57 AM
Yep - had all three at one point or another.
Along with Old German, Old Dutch, Schlitz and Weidamann. Carling Black Label ( Hey Mayble, how about a Black Label?). P.O.C (pride of Cleveland)
IIRC, wasn't Hamms from the land of sky blue water?

Also the ever popular Olde Frothingslosh - both the original 1955 version & the rebirth one in the 1970's.

One I missed though - as in never tried it - was Billy Beer.

Paul Cahill
03-26-2013, 10:33 PM
Absolutely no IPA's or stoudts .

I am very fond of IPAs so I am not much help to you, but this past summer in southern France I stumbled (figuratively, not literally) into the world of high gravity beers that were lovely. My favorite was 3 Monts.

Paul

Rich Stewart
03-27-2013, 1:53 PM
Curtis, I am talking about Fogo De choa in Philly. Great restaurant. I've been back several times and have never been able to get Nova Shinn again. Waiter said it was some sort of export law problem.

Pat Barry
03-27-2013, 8:35 PM
How do you manage to drink a heavy beer with so much meat? When I go there its meat, meat, and more meat. Green card, yum.,

curtis rosche
03-27-2013, 8:45 PM
Curtis, I am talking about Fogo De choa in Philly. Great restaurant. I've been back several times and have never been able to get Nova Shinn again. Waiter said it was some sort of export law problem.

Ive been there a few times. absolutely love it

Adam Gerlach
04-02-2013, 9:13 PM

Since you mentioned you like creamy ales, I would highly recommend Belhaven Scottish Ale. It's good out of a bottle or can but it is to DIE FOR on tap.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/148/1163