PDA

View Full Version : Tool Cabinet

Dennis McDonaugh
05-07-2005, 12:22 AM
I took a few pictures of a tool cabinet I've been working on for over two years. Its a low priority for LOML so I only work on it between "paying" jobs :D .

Its Honduran Mahogany and curly maple veneered over poplar drawer fronts. I'm still not done with it--I have to finish the large drawer front, crown moulding and lots of details for inside tool storage. Its basically two cabinets sitting on a frame supported by the hand dovetailed feet. You can see a little of the drawer storage details from the pictures.

Matt Meiser
05-07-2005, 12:34 AM
Holy cow! That's an awesome tool cabinet!

Martin Shupe
05-07-2005, 12:37 AM
WOW!

Very nice, almost too nice for a tool cabinet.

What kind of finish did you use to pop the grain on the maple?

Outstanding workmanship!

Alan Turner
05-07-2005, 5:03 AM
Dennis,
Great piece of work. But, I have a question. Don't you find it a bit inconvenient to have to go to the dining room to grab a file or chisel?

Mark Blumer
05-07-2005, 6:37 AM
Dennis,

That is a wonderful piece of work!! I have a question. Are you using commercial sliced veneer or are you thin-sawing your own? One of the close-up photos seems to suggest that the veneer is thicker than commercial stuff.

Mark Blumer (East Lansing, MI)

Richard Gillespie
05-07-2005, 6:40 AM
Beautiful job. Love the contrasting colors.

John Hart
05-07-2005, 7:14 AM
Wow Dennis! Sure wouldn't want to put it in MY shop! I would hate to get it dirty. That thing belongs in a showroom.

Terry Hatfield
05-07-2005, 7:35 AM
Dennis,

Excellent job!!!! The cabinet is beautiful!!!

t

Dave Anderson NH
05-07-2005, 8:13 AM
That's a beautiful piece of work Dennis. I like the combination of curly Maple and the Mahogany, but then I'm very biased toward both of those woods anyway. Are you going to show us how the lower cabinet is laid out?

Dennis McDonaugh
05-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Dennis,

That is a wonderful piece of work!! I have a question. Are you using commercial sliced veneer or are you thin-sawing your own? One of the close-up photos seems to suggest that the veneer is thicker than commercial stuff.

Mark Blumer (East Lansing, MI)

Mark, I resawed it on the bandsaw. Its between 1/16 and 1/8 thick, a little closer to 1/16.

Dennis McDonaugh
05-07-2005, 10:54 AM
WOW!

Very nice, almost too nice for a tool cabinet.

What kind of finish did you use to pop the grain on the maple?

Outstanding workmanship!

Martin, I used Master Rock Hard Table Top Varnish. I used it on a table top and it really made the grain shine so I thought I'd give it a try. It worked really well and the drawer fronts are hard!

Dennis McDonaugh
05-07-2005, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the wonderful comments, the inspiration for the cabinet has come from your work. Seeing all your fine projects made me want to stretch my own. The lower door panels are bookmatched and the top ones were supposed to be book matched, but the guy gluing up the veneer messed up on that :) so if you look closely they all look the same instead of facing each other. The bottom doors are almost a year old and the top ones were just completed so I'm hoping the color will even out over time. I'll post a closer look at the detail work when I finish.

Jerry Olexa
05-07-2005, 11:09 AM
Very nice!! Better than much furniture in my home....Great work!!

Dennis McDonaugh
05-07-2005, 11:23 AM
That's a beautiful piece of work Dennis. I like the combination of curly Maple and the Mahogany, but then I'm very biased toward both of those woods anyway. Are you going to show us how the lower cabinet is laid out?

Thanks Dave, the lower cabinet is in my next post.

Richard Danckaert
05-07-2005, 1:47 PM
Awesome!!Truly a fine piece of shop furniture.Thanks for the inspiration.

Rich

Brent Smith
05-07-2005, 2:58 PM
Fantastic.That is inspirational to say the least.I've got to know.......what's behind the arched door in the center??

Brent

Dennis McDonaugh
05-07-2005, 3:43 PM
Fantastic.That is inspirational to say the least.I've got to know.......what's behind the arched door in the center??

Brent

Thanks Brent, here's a picture of what's behind the door, just a few odds and ends right now. Its going to be where my special tools go when I'm finished.

Here's a better view of the right door too.

Todd Davidson
05-07-2005, 9:39 PM
Simply stunning!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John Miliunas
05-07-2005, 9:50 PM
No fair! Alan took my line!:( Really, I for sure thought when I opened the post that you had made a mistake in the subject line!:eek: Dennis, that would look perfectly welcome in just about anyone's home. Not really mine, because it's so much nicer than the rest of the stuff we have and then I'd have to have you build everything else to match!:D That's simply gorgeous! Well done!:) :cool:

Roy Wall
05-08-2005, 12:49 AM
Dennis,

This tool cabinet is outstanding!!! one look and I thought of Andy Rae's "choosing and using hand tools" book with his tool cabinet on the cover.

Very nice work!! Thanks for sharing........:rolleyes:

Bruce Page
05-08-2005, 4:42 PM
Dennis,
Great piece of work. But, I have a question. Don't you find it a bit inconvenient to have to go to the dining room to grab a file or chisel?

That's what I was thinkin'

WOW, beautiful piece of work!

Jerry Crawford
05-08-2005, 4:52 PM
Holy cow! That's an awesome tool cabinet!
whew..! what he said.

That's beautiful

Mike Scoggins
05-08-2005, 5:47 PM
Dennis,

Spectacular! That's a very nice looking cabinet you've made; I really like it. I'm just glad there's some distance in both time and space of your post and mine of the measly little hand plane cabinet I posted recently. Close call for me! :eek: ;)

Great job!
Mike