PDA

View Full Version : Power carver

John M. Smith
03-05-2013, 8:12 PM
Looking at getting a power carver. Any opinions on a Foredom or a Weecheer?

Thanks, John

Kathy Marshall
03-05-2013, 8:41 PM
I have the foredom and I'm happy with it. You can get a variety of different handpieces for different applications. I have a rotary handpiece for piercing and a reciprocating handpiece for carving. I use the benchtop speed control for piercing, where I just set it to 1 speed and don't need to vary it, then I use the foot controller for carving where I can vary the speed on the go.
I haven't done alot of carving with it, but it's worked well for the pieces I have done.
I haven't tried the weecheer, so can't comment on that system.

Jeffrey J Smith
03-05-2013, 9:07 PM
I've got the weecher - for the price, it's a pretty good unit. I'll admit to not using it a lot, and if I were doing more carving on my pieces I'd probably get a unit that has a little more power and higher rpm's. For an intro to powercarving, I think their kit with both handpieces, the extension cable and a selection of chisels and rotary tools is a great deal (I found it at Woodcraft when they first came out - I think it was about $89.00 on sale). Don't know that my usasge will be increasing anytime soon, so I'm more than happy with it for now.

Jeff

Darryl Hansen
03-05-2013, 9:41 PM
pose that question to Dixie Biggs. she has used all of them in her work. dixiebiggs.com

Marvin Hasenak
03-05-2013, 10:18 PM
I have 2 of the hanging Wecheer units, one with a handpiece for 1/4" burrs, the other for the reciprocating handpiece. Thne last month Woodcraft had the Wecheer mini motor on sale, I bought one to use with 1/8" burrs, I liked it so much I bought another to use with smaller burrs. So now I have 4 units, I don't use them all of the time, but when I get the urge they are there to play with.

A piece of advice, buy a welders leather apron and WEAR it, if you get a burr caught in leather it will tear a hole in it, get that same burr caught in cloth, it will wrap it up faster than you can shut the machine down, and it will break the shaft. Same with a leather glove, if you do small stuff, wear a leather glove, the burr will cut the leather and let you get your hand away from it. Wear a cotton glove and it will wrap the cotton glove up, break the shaft and slap your fingers around, if it doesn't cut you.

Thom Sturgill
03-06-2013, 7:22 AM
I just took a day's training with Dixie in her shop. She uses a micromotor for most work with a foredom setting in the corner of the shop for when she needs to hog wood off. She runs the mm at about 25-35,000 rpm and the foredom only runs at 18K, but will handle larger bits. Packard sells the brand she uses for about $200. She let me use one of hers when I brought a dremel hand held with a cable and hand piece. I have since bought a mm, but it came in just as I was leaving on vacation, so I have not used it other than during her class. I will say that you can use the mm for longer periods of time than you can the heavier carvers.

Darryl Hansen
03-06-2013, 8:52 AM
I have a Wecheer both the rotating and the carving handpiece and like it. After watching Dixie Biggs with the Micromotor I purchased one. There is a world of difference between the two. the speed of the MM is about twice of the cable driven units. That aside the MM is much easier to use it is flexible and I find that I can work with the MM for hours without having to stop to rest my arm. If you are going to do much carving I would suggest strongly that you invest in the MM. Wood Carver Supply has them for less that $200.

Jeff Gilfor
03-06-2013, 1:18 PM
Before turning, I did power carving for several years. Explored all then options, tried some units, and settled on the Mastercarver Brand unit (Woodcarver's Supply). Price point is better than the Foredom, and the quality is as good (better than the Weecheer). Replacement parts and accessories are same as the Foredom, and can be purchased from Woodcarver Supply at decent discount over places like Woodsraft and Crafts USA. I have been VERY happy with that unit. They sell a set that comes with a standard chuck (larger) handpice, and a pencil sized (chuckless, but still accepts up to 1/4 inch shank bits) handpiece that is a joy to use. With those and a small assortment of "stater" bits, the set is still cheaper than a less powerful Foredome motor and single handpiece by itself. Highly recommend this over the others mentioned.

George Morris
03-06-2013, 3:54 PM
Jeff which master carver unite? I may be in the market also. G

Scott Hackler
03-06-2013, 5:04 PM
I have a Foredom with the foot pedal and it works well. I would second the use of a leather glove while holding a piece and using a rotary carbide burr bit. Holy smokes does that bit do an efficient job at removing part of your fingernail! I know this from experience! They are expensive. I think the "sale" price of mine was $269 and that included a DVD, bit caddy and several bits. But it does exactly what I was hoping it would do...short of the whole finger tip removal deal..... :)

I like the fact that Fordom offers a bunch of different handpieces that I can buy as I go.

Jeff Gilfor
03-06-2013, 7:18 PM
I have the Mastercarver Hanging Ultra. Came as a set (as mentioned above). It's a hefty 1/2 HP flex shaft unit. Link is: http://www.woodcarverssupply.com/NEW-1_2-HP-MASTERCARVER-HANGING-ULTRA-SET/productinfo/797425/

They also sell really nice air-powered turbo carvers. These are the type unit you need to do piercing work, or high detail fine carving. These units zip along at 450,000 RPM (yes, that's four hundred fifty THOUSAND). No grain or wood texture will affect your driving this speed tool where you want it to go!

Just check these folks out (Wood Carvers Supply, that is). I am NOT affiliated with them in any way. I've just purchased things from them over the years, and can vouch for the fact that they have outstanding customer service, know what they are selling, and have great selection and good prices. Their personal brand knockoffs of the structured carbide bit (Saburr, etc.) are really good and MUCH cheaper than the brand names. I've used them quite a bit.

John M. Smith
03-06-2013, 8:38 PM
Thanks for all the input. I am stopping at Woodcraft tomorrow to look at Weecheer and Foredom. Need one in a hurry for some carving I have to do for work. great thing is, they are buying it for me :)