PDA

View Full Version : First Chair

Roger Myers
03-05-2013, 6:11 PM
I've always been a bit intimidated by chairs and never took on the task of building one. Now that I am at school at North Bennet Street, I will have to build at least one as it is part of the program requirements. But, that will end up being my second or third chair as it turns out. In January, the school did a Windsor chair build, where all four semesters of students took on the task of building a comb back windsor chair. It's unusual for the entire school (roughly 40 of us) to be working on a common project and it was nice as we got the opportunity to work closer with other students we may not interact with as much.
The chair is a comb back windsor, a Curtis Buchanan style... And after we had spent a couple of weeks turning legs and arm posts and shaving spindles, and bending arms and crest rails, Elia Bizzari (schooled by Curtis) would join us for a week to guide us through assembly.

This had a number of firsts for me, including most of the green woodworking. I had a blast and learned a great deal. The chairs were for the most part the same with any variations to come in the choice of leg style and finishing... A couple did build rockers, and I built the only "brace back" (has a tail and two additional spindles).
Elia was a tmendous guide and Dan Faia (head of the department at NBSS and a seasoned windsor chair maker) were great coaches and leaders in the process. After spending so much time making everything fit perfect in our normal days, working in the world of windsor chairs and green woodworking and measurements that are "ish" (i.e. 5/8" ish) was quite a change.

The chairs came out great... A pic of mine is attached.. I went with traditional black over red milk paint, followed by an oil and wax.... The chair is very comfortable, and light...and my wife says this piece s not for sale..

Yo see some more pics of other students chairs and the group shots, you can visit the school website at www.nbss.edu.

Roger

Jeff Wittrock
03-05-2013, 6:36 PM
Just Beautiful Roger.

ron david
03-06-2013, 12:01 AM
I've always been a bit intimidated by chairs and never took on the task of building one. Now that I am at school at North Bennet Street, I will have to build at least one as it is part of the program requirements. But, that will end up being my second or third chair as it turns out. In January, the school did a Windsor chair build, where all four semesters of students took on the task of building a comb back windsor chair. It's unusual for the entire school (roughly 40 of us) to be working on a common project and it was nice as we got the opportunity to work closer with other students we may not interact with as much.
The chair is a comb back windsor, a Curtis Buchanan style... And after we had spent a couple of weeks turning legs and arm posts and shaving spindles, and bending arms and crest rails, Elia Bizzari (schooled by Curtis) would join us for a week to guide us through assembly.

This had a number of firsts for me, including most of the green woodworking. I had a blast and learned a great deal. The chairs were for the most part the same with any variations to come in the choice of leg style and finishing... A couple did build rockers, and I built the only "brace back" (has a tail and two additional spindles).
Elia was a tmendous guide and Dan Faia (head of the department at NBSS and a seasoned windsor chair maker) were great coaches and leaders in the process. After spending so much time making everything fit perfect in our normal days, working in the world of windsor chairs and green woodworking and measurements that are "ish" (i.e. 5/8" ish) was quite a change.

The chairs came out great... A pic of mine is attached.. I went with traditional black over red milk paint, followed by an oil and wax.... The chair is very comfortable, and light...and my wife says this piece s not for sale..

Yo see some more pics of other students chairs and the group shots, you can visit the school website at www.nbss.edu (http://www.nbss.edu).

Roger
good looking chair. you should be proud and sounds like you have good support at home
ron

Ed Griner
03-06-2013, 5:53 AM
Roger,the chair looks great!

Paul Saffold
03-06-2013, 8:19 AM
Very, very nice. Also the photography really shows if off well.
Paul

Jeff Monson
03-06-2013, 9:00 AM
That's stunning Roger, I would'nt even know where to start on a project like that.

Gordon Eyre
03-06-2013, 10:43 AM
Good job Roger, you have a nice looking chair there.

Gus Dundon
03-06-2013, 3:26 PM
Interesting and fascinating piece! Very beautiful chair indeed. It looks very special to me.

Dave Anderson NH
03-07-2013, 6:49 PM
Well done my friend. I guess I'm going to have to come over soon and do a final quality inspection.:D

Larry Frank
03-07-2013, 7:53 PM
I am truly impressed with the chair. It shows a true craftsman at work.

bob blakeborough
03-08-2013, 11:55 AM
That is seriously cool... Very impressive!

Harold Burrell
03-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Very, very impressive! Absolutely beautiful...

It is also inspiring. I have a friend that wants to teach me to build a windsor this summer. I'm hoping my first chair is half as nice as yours.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-08-2013, 12:38 PM
Very nicely done Roger! It has a very light, delicate look to it! Well done Sir!