PDA

View Full Version : Websites ?

James & Zelma Litzmann
03-05-2013, 5:18 PM
Does anyone here have any advise on setting up website, is it something a normal person can do if they have had a little experience. Long store but my website disappeared and I have to recreate the wheel so to speak. I have a hosting company and they offer a free website . . . so to speak, "wordpress", "website creator by CM4all", or "weebly drag and drop builder" . . . HELP! Any input or advise is MUCH appreciated.

Nikolas Konvalin
03-05-2013, 5:26 PM
I have set up many websites and have notice how much easier they are becoming to setup. I would say that a person with some knowledge of HTML and or CSS could setup a Wordpress website fairly easy as long as they do not want to have anything to complicated for a web site.
If you need any help setting up your site I would be glad to help.
But by far Wordpress is the way to go, you will have more design options than with the other site builders.

Chuck Wintle
03-06-2013, 9:05 AM
I have no experience with wordpress setup for a website...I am sure it can be done, but there are many software packages that can create the website for you. they have templates that can be customized etc. What kind of site do you want is the first question? Are you selling thru it or is more just a "look around" site? Experience with HTML and CSS is probably not needed with those software packages.

James & Zelma Litzmann
03-06-2013, 1:34 PM
Thank you for your replies. I do need to be able to sell from my website, my lost website was an ecommerce site . . . I think, we accepted visa, mastercard and paypal.

Chuck Wintle
03-06-2013, 2:24 PM
Thank you for your replies. I do need to be able to sell from my website, my lost website was an ecommerce site . . . I think, we accepted visa, mastercard and paypal.

not trying to split hairs but doesn't ecommerce mean you sell stuff thru the website?

Greg Portland
03-07-2013, 4:57 PM
How many products?

James & Zelma Litzmann
03-07-2013, 7:17 PM
O.K. . . . YEA! I contacted the gentleman that set my website up 5 years ago and he knew how to go in "the back door" and retreived all of my files! Thank you all so much, I appreciate your answers. I have many items on my site, not sure how many but I intend to redo it with a whole new look, but for now I can take my time.

Thanks again!

Dan Hintz
03-07-2013, 7:26 PM
I contacted the gentleman that set my website up 5 years ago and he knew how to go in "the back door" and retreived all of my files!

Any time I hear stuff like this, all I can think is "Snow job!". Either he had the site backed up already, or he kept the login and the site was never removed. There's no "back door". I hope this guy isn't charging you an arm and a leg.

James & Zelma Litzmann
03-26-2013, 8:41 AM
No he is not. The hosting company, would not give me the backup, the website guy, the one that built my website is the one that knew how to go in and get the backups from the web hosting company . . . and he charged me nothing for this help. Although my website could not be seen on line, he know how to go to the hosting company (since I was paid up until April) and get my backups.

Dan Hintz
03-26-2013, 10:42 AM
Then there wasn't a back door... if you were paid up, the files were readily available on their server, they just may not have been published (read, not visible to the public). I'm simply pointing out that there was nothing magical in any way, shape, or form about what the guy did, he merely logged on and grabbed the files that were sitting there. There was no "hacking", there was no "back door", he simply logged into the account that already existed. If he suggested in any way that what he did was somehow difficult or within the capabilities of only a select few, it was handwaving for your benefit. I just don't want to see good people fooled by simple actions under the guise of heroic actions.

Myk Rian
03-26-2013, 10:48 AM
Dan;
Don't you think James might not have known HOW to get the files?
Give him a break.
The guy did him a favor.

Dan Hintz
03-26-2013, 11:00 AM
Dan;
Don't you think James might not have known HOW to get the files?
Give him a break.
The guy did him a favor.
Yes, that's what I think... but again, my point was it was sounding like the web guy was making what he did seem like magic (like a "I'm so awesome, this is why people pay me big bucks."). When non-computer savvy folks (like James and Zelma?) start hearing stuff like that, they may assume he's doing more than what he actually is, and that can lead to getting charged outrageous prices down the road for simple operations. Hopefully he's not one of those types, but James and Zelma should at least be made aware of the simplicity of the operation. Case in point... the guy didn't "go in the back door", he logged into the account. One sounds like amazing hacking of a website that requires special skills, the other sounds like typing in a password scribbled on a napkin.

I'm merely making sure they're informed, and it looks like it may be read in the wrong light... and informed shopper is a smart shopper.

Keith Outten
03-26-2013, 1:37 PM
Web designers will often create a backup directory to store a copy of all of the web site files. If the customer makes a mistake and deletes or saves a file over an existing document he only has to login and replace the files from the backup directory. The designer can set the permissions for the backup directory so the customer cannot view, copy or delete anything.

Myk Rian
03-26-2013, 4:17 PM
Yes, that's what I think... but again, my point was it was sounding like the web guy was making what he did seem like magic (like a "I'm so awesome, this is why people pay me big bucks.").
Obviously we wear different glasses. I didn't get that feeling at all.
I certainly wouldn't have made a big deal of it.

Chuck Wintle
03-26-2013, 4:56 PM
Yes, that's what I think... but again, my point was it was sounding like the web guy was making what he did seem like magic (like a "I'm so awesome, this is why people pay me big bucks."). When non-computer savvy folks (like James and Zelma?) start hearing stuff like that, they may assume he's doing more than what he actually is, and that can lead to getting charged outrageous prices down the road for simple operations. Hopefully he's not one of those types, but James and Zelma should at least be made aware of the simplicity of the operation. Case in point... the guy didn't "go in the back door", he logged into the account. One sounds like amazing hacking of a website that requires special skills, the other sounds like typing in a password scribbled on a napkin.

I'm merely making sure they're informed, and it looks like it may be read in the wrong light... and informed shopper is a smart shopper.

i have to agree it is not rocket science

James & Zelma Litzmann
03-26-2013, 5:35 PM
Goodness, didn't realize there was such a discussion going on about this. It is NOT a big deal either way. I was just pleased to get the files back! Hope you guys have a great day.

zll

Pat Barry
03-26-2013, 6:57 PM
The guy got you the data and that was a good thing. Fact is, he may have gone thru the 'back door' to get it, not directly through your account (since obviously you couldn't do it). Sounds like back door is the perfect description for this. Its good to know your guy isn't out to take you. Is he going to set up your new site?

Chuck Wintle
03-26-2013, 8:22 PM
The guy got you the data and that was a good thing. Fact is, he may have gone thru the 'back door' to get it, not directly through your account (since obviously you couldn't do it). Sounds like back door is the perfect description for this. Its good to know your guy isn't out to take you. Is he going to set up your new site?
Pat,

there is no such thing as a back door to a website account. you can login thru the usual place.

Pat Barry
03-26-2013, 8:53 PM
I thought the OP was saying he couldn't get in to his website thru his usual way. The site content was blocked or he was otherwise locked out. Maybe the guy helping him had a master password or the OP forgot his password, or something else was going on. I guess the point is the guy got his stuff back for him and now the OP is happy so its all good. Reminds me now of the song that goes with the commercial of the woman climbing that craggy peak "somebody left the gate open....". Not the back door at all.