PDA

View Full Version : Corel X5 Fresh install settings issue

Ryan Czaplewski
03-05-2013, 8:32 AM
Hello, I just upgraded from Corel x4 to x5 and have had a couple issues with how the new install of x5 is working with my Laser Engraver (Epilog Legend 36EXT 120w)

1) Some jobs I run at 300dpi out of either necessity or as a time saver. When I used to run jobs at 300dpi the quality was fine (with some pixilation near the edges of the engraving) now when I engrave at 300 dpi I notice that the image is dithered and looks "polka dotted", Is there a way to fix this?

2) When I send over an image with a C:0 M:0 Y:0 K:0 white background, whereas it used to see this as "Do not laser this" space, now it will laser the actual background as a percentage of black (which is not much, but it still does engrave and ruins the product as the box ends up being visible) I know that I can change the 0 0 0 0 white to a transparent and that will fix the issue, it's just that my jobs are all saved with the 0 0 0 0 background and if I forget to change to transparent, I end up ruining items. Is there a way I can define to Corel not to print white?

Any help with this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

Dan Hintz
03-05-2013, 9:10 AM
Jobs should be run in RGB, not CMYK, to avoid the automatic translation (in which white will come out as some shade of gray, and hence will engrave random spots).

Bruce Volden
03-05-2013, 9:28 AM
+1 on what Dan says.

Bruce

Tim Jasper
03-05-2013, 9:37 AM
As stated, Corel X4 defaulted in RGB and in X5 switched to CMYK. Please see the article to change these at: http://www.epiloglaser.com/tl_colormgmt_corelx5.htm
That should clear up the problem.

Tim

Ryan Czaplewski
03-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the quick response guys! This was driving me nuts! Do you think this will also address the dithering in lower resolution issue I was having as well?

Dan Hintz
03-05-2013, 10:13 AM
Do you think this will also address the dithering in lower resolution issue I was having as well?

Likely... I'd have to see the issue to make a definite yay / nay decision. If you're working at a low resolution and then have the machine translate from CMYK to RGB (which adds in its own dithering), then yes, it could easily screw up an image.

Martin Boekers
03-05-2013, 11:43 AM
I have always had a dithering when the laser is set a 300. Am I missing something here?

Is there a way to get engraving without dithering set at 300?

Ryan Czaplewski
03-05-2013, 3:51 PM
Thanks for the help guys! Changing over the color profile solved all of my issues, (including an issue I started having with requiring more power on the laser to achieve the same depth pre install that I didn't realize was related).