PDA

View Full Version : Out feed Table/Workbench Height Adjust

Mark W Pugh
03-04-2013, 11:38 PM
OK, I want to build an out feed table/work bench.. I want to be able to move it (casters) and adjust the height. The leveling casters I have been looking at don't seem to fit what I want.

I was thinking of regular casters and perhaps come up with a way to adjust the table top height. Not really sure what would be the best way.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Alex Stace
03-04-2013, 11:56 PM
how much do you want to adjust it?
threaded casters and prong nuts would be simple if you want say 1/2 in to inch of adjsutment to compensate for unlevel floor etc

Mark W Pugh
03-05-2013, 2:01 AM
how much do you want to adjust it?
threaded casters and prong nuts would be simple if you want say 1/2 in to inch of adjsutment to compensate for unlevel floor etc

I was just wondering how stable the caster is when is screwed 1/2 out or so?

Alex Stace
03-05-2013, 7:36 AM
depends on the caster and shaft diameter and length I suppose. You could shim it with washers. Are you looking for fine leveling adjustment or for working with different tools of multiple heights?

here is another idea from finewoodworking, top adjusts with eyebolt into I assume prong nuts.

Chris E Smith
03-05-2013, 9:46 AM
Mark. I don't think you will have a problem with deflection of the stem on the caster. I have a very heavy maple school shop workbench sitting on a frame of welded unistrut and all of my pipe clamps are stored underneath. The whole thing has been sitting on four 3/8 stem levelers for years. I move it with a pallet jack. I always have to remind myself that even mild steel is 32,000 psi tensile strength. You can also get casters with thicker stems if you wish. The ones at Woodcraft come in two sizes.

jim gossage
03-05-2013, 1:38 PM
Another option is to use rod coupling nuts, which are about 2 inches long and can be press fitted into your legs (assuming that they are wooden). That gives your caster bolts more contact with threads and probably less deflection. I used these on my 4x8' outfeed table which has 6 legs and weighs 150 pounds. I used 5/8 x 6" bolts for the legs (instead of casters) and this allows for 4" of height adjustment. Rock solid.

Tim Janssen
03-05-2013, 8:59 PM
Why not raise you saw the required amount, I raised my saw 2.5"

Working fine for me, anyway!
Cheers,

Tim

Mark W Pugh
03-05-2013, 9:16 PM
Why not raise you saw the required amount, I raised my saw 1.5"

Cheers,

Tim

Just got a Grizzly 1023RXL, anyone recommend a mobile base for iy? I know Grizzly has some. I have work benches at 35" but my saw is 34". Now, I was going to make new benches, but raising the machine may be a better idea. Do these mobile bases actually allow you to lift the machine to different heights?

Tim Janssen
03-05-2013, 11:13 PM
Just got a Grizzly 1023RXL, anyone recommend a mobile base for iy? I know Grizzly has some. I have work benches at 35" but my saw is 34". Now, I was going to make new benches, but raising the machine may be a better idea. Do these mobile bases actually allow you to lift the machine to different heights?

I used the mobile base SawStop usually supplies for the industrial version, because all four castors swivel which makes it more maneuverable and it does use hydraulics to raise the saw. With 3 layers of 3/4" plywood in the base, the saw height is 36.5". A fourth layer of plywood was shaped to the interior shape of the saw's cabinet so that the saw can't shift.
By the way, I don't think it's intended to operate the saw in the raised position.
Regards,

Tim

Joe Shinall
03-05-2013, 11:21 PM
Why not raise you saw the required amount, I raised my saw 2.5"

Cheers,

Tim

Tim! Hurry up and throw some dirt on your floors please!