PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Jointer

Monte Bloyd
05-08-2003, 6:08 PM
Ok. So I was in the mood to buy the new grizzly 8in. jointer. After reading a number of these postings I am really unsure. Some love griz and some hate griz. Is there any concensus on the overall quality of this jointer? The price is good compared to the Delta's, Generals, et als. I have read troubled posts on Delta equipment before this. What is the skinny here? Is the price going to cause undo hassle?

Dr. Zack Jennings
05-08-2003, 6:37 PM
You are very perceptive Some are strong supporters of Grizzly & some are not. Other forums are the same way.

I'm looking at that Jointer also. Here are some Griz Tools with high praise: 1023 Cabinet Saw, Big Spindle Sander, big edge sander.

It pays to look at several different forums and use their search features. Most questions, like yours, have a history on all the forums. You can't get too much info when spending big tool bucks.

Good Luck......

Jay Albrandt
05-08-2003, 7:03 PM
Monte,

Don't let my rant several days ago scare you away from Grizzly... even their 8" jointer. Throughout the course of my ordeal with my particular jointer, I had been in contact with several people who have that same jointer and have had no problems. Initially, I thought the jointer was a good value. Yes, I had a problem with mine, and yes Grizzly kept sending me parts, but the parts were all of the same caliber and therefore did not "fix" the problem. Hence, I'm returning it. End of story.

However, I think you will find that any machine maker has had, does have, and will have complaints and quality control issues. I think you just have to purchase a machine within your budget, and hope that it doesn't have any major problems. You might have learned that Grizzly products (and others for that matter) may take a little tweaking to get things right, so if you feel comfortable with your skills in this regard, I say go for it.

I'm somewhat of an "expert" with that machine because of all the fussing and time I spent on mine, so if you do get it, and need some help with the set-up, just let me know.

Good Luck

Jay

PS: I'm still undecided about which jointer I will replace this one with, so keep me posted. In fact, email me directly so we can share info. No reason that we should both be "reinventing" the wheel.

Kirk (KC) Constable
05-08-2003, 7:28 PM
Grizzly today is NOT the Grizzly of 5 years ago. They've come a long way. The 8" jointer is a helluva deal, as is the 20" planer. I'm not at all pleased with our 1023ZX, but many, many folks are tickled to death with the 1023S. I think the 9" disc/belt combo unit is worthless, but many people are fine with it.

Other than Jay's recent problems, I can't remember the last time I heard unkind words about the Grizzly jointer...unless it was somebody bashing Grizzly in general. We've got several pieces of green equipment at the mesquite outfit, and I've got JET at home...so I like to think I'm qualified to offer a reasonable comparative opinion (I'm not sure 'comparative' is a word, but if it isn't it should be). :rolleyes:

KC

Kevin Gerstenecker
05-08-2003, 7:43 PM
I don't have the Grizzly 8" Jointer, but I have a Bud who does, and I have ran a few boards thru it, and I like it. He has good results with it, and even though he is a novice and learning some things from me, I think it is a good machine and a good value. I helped him get it setup properly when it arrived, and it is right on the money without undue hassle, and it has remained that way thru moderate use. What you have to keep in mind is that there is good and bad in everything. If you look hard enough, you can find someone unhappy with anything, not only in Woodworking Equipment, but Cars, Truck, Appliances and on and on.................
I do own several Grizzly Machines, and I have been very happy with them, especially my Band Saw. It is a great machine, resaws lumber like nobodys business, and it cuts VERY straight without a lot of adjusting and tweaking. I don't think I received unusually good equipment from Grizzly, I think for the most part all of their equipment is good. I would not hesitate to purchase anything from them in the future. Good Luck on whatever you decide, but IMHO I think "Big Green" Is a good value.

Ken Garlock
05-08-2003, 8:47 PM
Hi Monte, et al.

The people at Sunhill have their 2hp jointer on sale. They say they will give you multiple references on each item they sell upon your asking. http://www.sunhillmachinery.com/ I found one 1997 review of a 6" Sunhill in the Pond archives over at WC.

I think Sunhill is worth looking at before you buy any brand jointer.

Worth what you paid for it.....

Phil Phelps
05-08-2003, 9:24 PM
.. if you are going for an 8" jointer, I'd buy the Grizzly, again, but with hand wheels. Your biggest problem is you'll probably have to wait. They are that popular.

Eric Apple - Central IN
05-09-2003, 9:10 AM
The fact is that all the equipment you listed and others as well, work just great. Grizz is good stuff with a good service record for me, and since I know nothing of SunHill I'd go for Grizz for the jointer over any others you listed.

You didn't ask about all this, but here goes:

Rant On:

Here's a run down of what I've run into over the years: I have had the worst service from Jet, Delta and the best from Grizz. HF has been better then Delta for me. I never did get a new switch or set screw from Delta for my mortise machine when they were supplied broken/missing, after 2 calls I gave up and haven't bought them since.

The local Jet guy still keeps Jet on the top of my list for stuff I might want fixed the fastest, but he's at their mercy for non-stock items. There's a value to me value in the local guy, and not Jet that would make me buy them first.

Always quick warranty service from Grizz. But, Grizz service is only as fast as UPS and Grizz hasn't paid for UPS weekend delivery when the local guy is open. So price difference is the tie breaker on Jet/Grizz for me - what might the faster local service be worth to me on this machine ? (If your reading this "Grizz" you could fix this and volunteer to send all warranty parts overnight/weekend delivery without the customer asking for some special consideration. I'll keep an eye out for the announcement on your web site since you can pay for this from your advertising budget by dropping adds, and make up for the add with forum chat.)

I have received several replacement parts from harbor frieght (but slow shipping) for a couple of their lathes, with no questions. Much easier then begging for parts for defective delta equipment.

When I use my non-orbiting (it's broke) $250 P.C. jigsaw, I always think man I wish I had saved $150 and bought the Grizz unit, I'd have one for spare parts and a completely new one, much faster then P.C. can fix the overpriced broken one.

I'd say I'm price/quality driven. I will pay more for a machine if there's a real value to me to do so, otherwise I won't - a brand adds no value. (Sorry big corporation guy in the sky, you wasted your money on advertising convincing me otherwise. You should have spent the money on service fool, and sent me a new switch with your advertising $$$ !) When you move into what I will call "small industrial equipment", I have found it's rare that machines that are nearly identical selling for 40-100% more are worth the extra cash to me - they just use the extra $ to support "branding" campaigns and more managers. Seen the delta cradle by Norm add ? I helped pay for that with my broken switch.

Rant Off:

Monte Bloyd
05-09-2003, 11:24 AM
Well you get what you pay for... sometimes. It appears to me that a lot of the price of the big brands is often the cost of their ad campaigns. Every company constantly fights quality control or they don't stick around. I believe I will try the Grizzly 8in. jointer and see how it goes. I haven't done much of this work for about 35 years, but retirement looms and I think it's time to aquire the equipment. I appreciate everyones input.

Monte

Dennis McDonaugh
05-09-2003, 11:42 AM
Well, I'd buy my Grizzly again in a heartbeat. $760 delivered on their summer sale last year. It went together great and works well. I've never measured the tables or fence for flatness, but I measured the first couple of boards I squared up and they are perfectly square and that's what counts.

Keith Outten
05-09-2003, 12:45 PM
Monte,

I would say that Grizzly is looking better, at least at SawMill Creek. Since the Quality Control Manager of Grizzly is a member here at SMC you have access to a level of their company that you might not have with other manufacturers.

Bill Crofutt of Grizzly has already helped one of our members so he has a track record here which I believe is very noteworthy. I have invited over thirty companies to have a representative join us here at SawMill Creek, some I believe are lurking...haven't stepped out of the shadows.

Hundreds of companies want us to purchase their tools and equipment but don't have the time to join us here and provide a personal level of support or answer tough questions. Our members are listed by real names and have had their email addresses verified so we are a very real community and I think the manufacturers and sales outlets should step up to the plate as well.

Who should we support as a group? Maybe we should post a list of companies who show their support and those we have invited and have not joined us, what do you think?

Monte Bloyd
05-09-2003, 6:09 PM
I'm glad we have the Grizzly rep looking in, and the other manufacturers should. Sure, publish the list of invitees and respondents. The more responsive the big boys are the better off we will be.