PDA

View Full Version : Compressor stalled and now doesn't start

Matt Day
03-04-2013, 9:22 AM
While my compressor was charging, I mistakenly turned on my DC which draws a lot of amps and it stalled the compressor. The compressor is a 26 gallon Cambel Hausfelt 3 HP, similar to this one:
http://www.tylertool.com/campbell-hausfeld-vt6271-3-hp-26-gallon-oil-lube-wheeled-horizontal-air-compressor/cbhnvt6271,default,pd.html?cgid=compressors
The power strip I had it on tripped which turned the compressor off. I thought the power strip would just need to be reset, but that's not doing it. It makes no noise at all when I try to turn it on.

Any suggestions on what I should look for?

George Bokros
03-04-2013, 9:26 AM
This is an obvious question and I am not implying you are stupid but did you try to run it without the power strip?

Joe Kaufman
03-04-2013, 10:32 AM
The compressor pictured {a real 3 HP) is 20A 240V. What kind of "power strip" were you using?
Joe

Matt Day
03-04-2013, 10:54 AM
Yeah, I tried it without the power strip (probably should have called it a surge protector - the kind with 6 or so outlets and an on off switch) without any luck.

The motor is 120/240 and wired for 120. I've been using it for years.

Carl Beckett
03-04-2013, 10:57 AM
wait long enough to be sure there isnt back pressure on it..... although if that you should at least get a buzz.

It does sound more likely that it isnt getting power. circuits, cord, breaker, ....et al..... check them. And the pressure switch that triggers it on - I have had those go bad.

Myk Rian
03-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Is there an overload button on the motor?

Jerome Stanek
03-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Are you sure that it wasn't up to pressure and the switch kick off. Or it could be pressure in the head that the unloader hasn't released.

David L Morse
03-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Have you used any air since it stopped? If you cut power to a compressor while it's charging it won't turn on again until you use enough air to drop the tank pressure below the turn-on threshold.

Matt Day
03-04-2013, 11:33 AM
You know what? I wonder if it was a coincidence that I turned on the DC at the same time it made it up to the set pressure. I'll relieve the tank from some air and see if it kicks on then. I'm going to feel really dumb if that's what happened!

The motor does have an overload button and I tried that already.

ken masoumi
03-04-2013, 11:49 AM
I would empty the tank completely,reset the pressure switch,then plug it back in.

Larry Browning
03-04-2013, 11:56 AM
I have a small 2 hotdog tank compressor. I have found that if I have it plugged in using an extension cord, it will not start when until the pressure has been relieved. It does not have this problem when plugged directly into the wall. This can be a real pain depending on where I have the compressor.

Matt Day
03-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Well that was embarrassing. The compressor was up to the set pressure which is why it didn't kick on. I guess it was a coincidence that the DC turned on at the same time the compressor was finishing its cycle.

Thanks for waking up my sleepy brain!

David L Morse
03-04-2013, 1:41 PM
Well that was embarrassing. The compressor was up to the set pressure which is why it didn't kick on. I guess it was a coincidence that the DC turned on at the same time the compressor was finishing its cycle.

Thanks for waking up my sleepy brain!

No coincidence. You said the breaker on your power strip popped when the DC started. The compressor switch has hystersis, i.e., the turn-on pressure is lower than the turn-off pressure. A typical single stage compressor turns on at 80 to 90PSI and shuts off at about 120PSI. If it is otherwise turned off while anywhere between those points it will not start again until both the power is restored and the pressure drops to the turn-on point. The pressure switch is not smart enough to know that it wasn't finished with it's cycle when the power went down, only that the pressure is not low enough to turn on. It did not have to reach full pressure, this behavior occurs if you disconnect power anytime the compressor is running.

Matt Day
03-04-2013, 1:52 PM
Thanks for the explanation Dave. So basically if the compressor is anywhere between say 80/90 and 120psi it will not cycle, unless it goes below that 80/90 threshold. Makes sense to me - I should have taken a step back to think about the situation some more.

David L Morse
03-04-2013, 4:52 PM
You have nothing to be embarrassed about. I, however, just realized that I misspelled "hysteresis".