PDA

View Full Version : Laser Engraved HotDogs ???? Or Food ???

Jesse Anderson
03-03-2013, 11:01 PM
So i was very board today and put a HotDog in my laser engraver. Why u ask ??? Well why not I say !!!!... I engraved a font across the length of the Hotdog that Oscar Mayer.

Any one else try to engrave and food item's ??? I know that i did a few things for a bakery down the road. They brought over some sort of prepared Hardened Sugar Icing in a sheet. And had me vector cut some letters out. It looked pretty good. The ends were kind of Browned and blackened. But he said he can paint them. He comes back every now and then and has me cut something out.... For Cake decorations...

Any one ever tried to raster or vector food products.

Kevin Cederquist
03-03-2013, 11:42 PM
I did the tops off chocolate candies in a Hershey's assorted box once. Put the biohazard symbol on a few. They turned out pretty good. I also once saw a YouTube video that was entirely animated with laser engraved toast. Took something like 200 loaves of expired bread. That was pretty cool.

Mike Null
03-04-2013, 6:34 AM
At some point when considering this common sense should kick in.

John Coloccia
03-04-2013, 6:50 AM
Hot dogs and icing in South Dakota. Chocolate candy in Idaho. I don't even want to think about what you guys might be zapping in Montana.

Joe Pelonio
03-04-2013, 7:45 AM
Here in Washington, I have done sugar cookies, bananas, and apples. I have been meaning to try ice, but haven't thought of it when I had the laser going.

Dan Hintz
03-04-2013, 7:54 AM
I have been meaning to try ice, but haven't thought of it when I had the laser going.

Don't expect much, Joe... water blocks CO2 wavelengths, so you'll likely get a lot of very shallow cuts that look muddled (puddled? ;) ).

To the OP... there have been attempts at Fig Newtons, carrots, toothpicks (you need those to pick up finger foods, so they count), pita bread, pizza, steak, Jell-O, and on and on and on... search here and you'll find it.

Steve Busey
03-04-2013, 9:32 AM
Birthday brownies!

Glen Monaghan
03-04-2013, 9:48 AM
I did some birthday corn chips for a fellow who was tired of the "usual birthday card and cake", cut seaweed wrap to make wings for butterfly shrimp served at a ladies' party (don't assemble them until immediately before serving, which should be several days after cutting the wings so as to air out the burnt smell!), various wedding and birthday "toasts", plus miscellaneous candies (many of which don't work well at all because you get little contrast or they just melt by the time you get enough power to mark them), icings, and such.

I saw a video where someone used an extremely soft focus and slow spiral vector path to cook batter into an edible pancake...

Chuck Stone
03-04-2013, 12:19 PM
I buy bags of corn chips and put fuzzy, vague Jesus-like images on a few of them,
seal the bag and sneak it back into the store.
I keep waiting for the Weekly World News van to come to town, but
so far, no luck. Maybe only atheists buy Fritos.

Jesse Anderson
03-04-2013, 1:30 PM
Chuck that is funny. I thought i was the only one who had that idea. Put a picture of Jesus or the Vrigin Mary on some Potato Chips. Seal the bag. Then drop it off at the local church as a donation. Only to find out months later that
the 2-3 chips u put pictures on sold to a Vatican priest on Ebay for $250,000 a piece. Its a sad day when Jesus Toast or Virgin marry Potato chips sell for thousands of dollars.

David Rust
03-04-2013, 10:17 PM
I buy bags of corn chips and put fuzzy, vague Jesus-like images on a few of them,
seal the bag and sneak it back into the store.
I keep waiting for the Weekly World News van to come to town, but
so far, no luck. Maybe only atheists buy Fritos.

Chuck... Engrave the image and then put the corn chips on Ebay... might be great income potential... for a little while anyway

Chuck Stone
03-05-2013, 11:45 AM
Chuck... Engrave the image and then put the corn chips on Ebay... might be great income potential... for a little while anyway

One should not use their power for personal gain.
Only for pointing and chuckling.

Martin Boekers
03-05-2013, 12:05 PM
There actually is a commercial made toaster that puts images on toast.

Some steak houses have been known to laser steaks. I have done cookies,
oranges, pumkins etc. This is a phase all laser owners go through. :)

Ever try a popcorn kernal?

Hobby shops like Michaels sell cooking goods, try some sheet fondant and
cut a lace pattern for a cake topping.

There are so many things to do if you just get creative. I used to put on charity
golf events, I designed a personalizes box that held 3 golf balls. I laser printed them
on heavy card stock then used the laser to "die cut" them very popular.

Many fruits and vegetables are now lasered at the packing companies.

AL Ursich
03-05-2013, 8:03 PM
Imagine putting a logo on the leaves of "Medical Weed".... It's all in the Advertizing....

David Rust
03-05-2013, 8:05 PM
... Its a sad day when Jesus Toast or Virgin marry Potato chips sell for thousands of dollars.

Unless you are the seller!

Jesse Anderson
03-05-2013, 9:57 PM
Like putting a burnt logo on some Mexican Brick Weed. This is South Dakota not Colorado. I cannot endorse nor do i support that behavior !!!

The Quick Lazy Fox Jumped over the Yummy Brownies.

Dan Hintz
03-06-2013, 7:39 AM
Imagine putting a logo on the leaves of "Medical Weed".... It's all in the Advertizing....

I volunteer to have my desk by the exhaust port. thank you for your cooperation :D

Jesse Anderson
03-06-2013, 10:32 PM
Using my laser system and exhaust as a very expensive vaporizer.... A very good idea.

Walt Langhans
03-07-2013, 8:36 AM
I volunteer to have my desk by the exhaust port. thank you for your cooperation :D

Humm.... do I smell, er oops, I meant see a new blog entry on an 'advanced filtration' system in your future Dan???? ;)

Guy Hilliard
03-07-2013, 9:17 AM
Laser engraved live crab!

Jesse Anderson
03-07-2013, 10:31 AM
Yesterday i engraved my girl friends fingernail polish with small images. This would be a good money maker buttt. If u were to have a customer come in the store, Sign the Release form, Then on accident set the settings to 1/4 wood cut. Other wise it would be a instant hit if u could legally and morally engrave a customers finger nails. Or do scarification with my epilog and start a tattoo shop.

Jesse Anderson
03-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Yesterday i engraved my girl friends fingernail polish with small images. This would be a good money maker buttt. If u were to have a customer come in the store, Sign the Release form, Then on accident set the settings to 1/4 wood cut. Other wise it would be a instant hit if u could legally and morally engrave a customers finger nails. Or do scarification with my epilog and start a tattoo shop.

Amy Shelton
03-07-2013, 11:56 AM
More lasered food:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?148664-Lasers-and-Food!

Matt Turner (physics)
03-07-2013, 12:19 PM
In their paper at http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2390788 (it's behind a paywall), a group of researchers has described a number of food applications using their Epilog. Anyone want to try what they call "melt-fat raw bacon"?

The taste of raw bacon is good but the raw and cold fat is sometimes unacceptable for its texture and taste. Laser cooking introduces a new method to precook raw bacon by heating only the fat part of the bacon. The image analysis process creates a heat map from the camera image by detecting the fat part of the bacon (figure 2). The system detects the shape of the bacon, and filters out small regions as noise, then creates a grayscale image by using the hue and the brightness values of the image. The right of figure 2 shows the generated heat map: dark pixels represent areas to be heated with higher power, and light pixels represent areas that are to be kept raw. The heat pattern is then sent to the laser cutter and the cutter cooks the bacon in raster-engraving mode using the map. Figure 3 shows the result. Now the well-cooked fat and the fresh taste of the meat can be experienced at the same time. :)

Image: http://fukuchilab.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/laser-bacon.jpg

Martin Boekers
03-07-2013, 12:32 PM

Jesse, I hope you are kidding.... If you disabled the saftey features of the laser, (area with live beam has to be closed) you changed the classification of the laser and could open you up to
more than just the damages to the fingers. I suggest engraving false nails instead.

You may be kidding about "scarification" but search YouTube and you'll find videos on this..... :)