PDA

View Full Version : BLM Burl NE Vase

Kathy Marshall
03-03-2013, 10:02 PM
This is from the 1st of 3 BLM burl blanks I picked up at the Desert Woodturning Roundup last weekend.
I wanted to use the NE on at least one of them, so I decided to start with this one.
It's about 7" x 4" and the walls are 1/8". Wet sanded with DO and then topped with Antique oil. It's going to need a few more coats as the softer spots soaked everything up like a sponge.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Nate Davey
03-03-2013, 10:21 PM
Awesome, Kathy. Love the shape and the NE really adds to the look.

Steve bellinger
03-04-2013, 5:19 AM
YES, YES, YES, Now this is my kind of a piece. Great job Kathy.

Harry Robinette
03-04-2013, 8:39 PM
Kathy
Very nice work as usual. I think for me a little more shine would really make it,but thats just me. Very pretty.

Kathy Marshall
03-04-2013, 11:28 PM
Thanks guys!

Harry, I'll be adding more coats of antique oil and that should give it a little more sheen.

Sid Matheny
03-05-2013, 12:00 AM
Oh Yeah I love it!

Sid

Michael Kellough
03-05-2013, 5:34 PM
This is from the 1st of 3 BLM burl blanks I picked up at the Desert Woodturning Roundup last weekend.
I wanted to use the NE on at least one of them, so I decided to start with this one.
It's about 7" x 4" and the walls are 1/8". Wet sanded with DO and then topped with Antique oil. It's going to need a few more coats as the softer spots soaked everything up like a sponge.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

That looks great! I can't figure out the orientation of the wood to get an edge like that but I guess since it's from burl it would be impossible to explain anyway.

I'm just a beginner and haven't picked up all the acronyms yet. What do BLM, NE, and DO stand for?

Fred Belknap
03-05-2013, 8:09 PM
BLM =Big Leaf Maple
NE=Natural Edge
DO= Danish Oil
Don't feel bad, every now an then someone comes up with one I don't know and I been around these forum for years.

Bernie Weishapl
03-05-2013, 11:49 PM
Awesome Kathy. The wood and form look great.

Ray Bell
03-06-2013, 11:28 AM
Kathy, you are just getting really good at this turning stuff. Can you tell me how you chucked this up for od, and id turning, thanks, Ray

Ted Calver
03-06-2013, 1:02 PM
Very nice form. The contrast between the jagged edge and the smooth flow of the beautiful wood is very appealing to me.

Kathy Marshall
03-06-2013, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the additional comments!

That looks great! I can't figure out the orientation of the wood to get an edge like that but I guess since it's from burl it would be impossible to explain anyway.

I'm just a beginner and haven't picked up all the acronyms yet. What do BLM, NE, and DO stand for?
Michael, similar to turning a natural edge bowl, the top of the form would have been facing out and the jagged edges just show how much variation there was in the burl surface. Most likely, the bottom of the form would have been facing in towards the pith of the tree, but if it was a very large burl it could have been facing anywhere except towards the bark edge.

Kathy, you are just getting really good at this turning stuff. Can you tell me how you chucked this up for od, and id turning, thanks, Ray
Ray, I started off roughing it out between centers, then turned a tenon on the bottom and used my 50mm bowl jaws to finish the outside and then hollow the inside. Then I used a jam chuck to finish off the bottom.

Doug W Swanson
03-06-2013, 11:32 PM
Looks great Kathy. Some day I will try one of these. Hope mine turns out 1/4 as nice as yours!