PDA

View Full Version : Just a pic of the bench legs with a touch of Green & Green

Bill Wyko
03-03-2013, 6:06 PM
This is just a couple pics of how I'm doing the legs of my work bench. I've always been a big fan of Green & Green and I've got a lot of ebony laying around, so I put some of it to use. I'll do a whole step by step once I'm done. Please enjoy.

Dick Mahany
03-03-2013, 6:20 PM
Sheesh, what are you guys doing to me? A few short days ago, I was completely happy with my workbench before the "show me....."thread. Now this;).

Beautiful work and I can't wait to see the finished masterpiece!

Rod Sheridan
03-03-2013, 6:53 PM
I agree Dick, that's nicer than some of my furniture............LOL...................Rod.

Jim Barrett
03-03-2013, 7:29 PM
Looks like you are off to a great start! Have fun!

Jim

Bill Wyko
03-03-2013, 9:18 PM
Thanks guys, I would have used pine if it were what I had, luckily I had a lot of 8/4 curly maple, Bubinga & enough ebony. (Wait til you see the bubinga:D) 1/2 the bench laminations are done too but I ran out of hard maple, just need a few board feet but Woodworkers is still out.

Marty Gulseth
03-03-2013, 9:36 PM
I'm jealous (of the workmanship, mainly.)
Regards, Marty

Bill Wyko
03-03-2013, 9:41 PM
Fear not Marty, I'll be posting a step by step when I'm done. Behind the scenes are a lot of Domino's:eek::D

Richard Coers
03-03-2013, 11:14 PM
That's Greene and Greene, brothers Charles Sumner Greene (1868–1957) and Henry Mather Greene (1870–1954)

Unless you are talking about some Greens I don't know about.

This is just a couple pics of how I'm doing the legs of my work bench. I've always been a big fan of Green & Green and I've got a lot of ebony laying around, so I put some of it to use. I'll do a whole step by step once I'm done. Please enjoy.

Bill Wyko
03-03-2013, 11:32 PM
Yes, they built the Gamble house. The work done in that house it truly inspirational from the furniture to the joinery and to the overall design & craftsmanship. Here's a link for those that don't know about this historical home. One reason the house became a historical site was because a woman that was interested in buying it stated she would paint everything white. She should be tared & feathered (with white feathers.)
http://www.gamblehouse.org/

If you are a big G&G fan, check this out. http://dpg.lib.berkeley.edu/webdb/ggva/search?siteid=157

Huck Schwee
03-04-2013, 11:55 AM
I think Richard was just joking about Greene and Greene.

:D

Bill Wyko
03-04-2013, 2:12 PM
Joking or not, everyone should get a look at that place, it may cause a butterfly effect to happen. I know it did for me, I love tat place. If I ever win the big lottery I'd have a replica built for myself. Do you think in today's age of technology that it could be done in 10 months? Red tape alone would take that long now.

Richard Coers
03-04-2013, 11:06 PM
Yup, just a way to correct your spelling. I have visited the Gamble House, and the Greene&Greene display at the Huntington. Just going into the the Gamble House garage, now book store/ticket sales lets you know it's going to be a great tour. They also run special tours for furniture makers and they really study the furniture in the house during those tours. I was fortunate enough that on a trip to LA to visit our son in 2010, they had a display at the Huntington on Charles Rohlfs. His furniture was really functional art. It was a great display at the Huntington Library, in the middle of all those fantastic gardens. Pasadena is a great place to visit!

I think Richard was just joking about Greene and Greene.

:D

Bill Wyko
03-05-2013, 1:22 AM
You lucky dog, my daughter lives in CA I'll have to plan a tour when I go see her one of these times.

Bill Wyko
03-05-2013, 2:29 PM
256198Not sure how many people will come back to this post but for those that do, here's the 8/4 Bubinga for the front of the bench. Can't wait to finish, just a little more wood to go.

Bill Wyko
03-05-2013, 7:24 PM
Got more lumber in, glued up more of the bench top. I'd say a couple more weeks and it'll be either done or very close to being done. What a fun project.

Bill Wyko
03-07-2013, 6:06 PM
Well, I ordered the other 2 vises from Veritas, what a bunch of fantastic folks. They were very kind and took a genuine interest in what kind of projects I did and made sure the vises were exactly what I would need for the work I do. I already have a Veritas twin screw vise for the end of the bench, I ordered the new QR Tail vise and the new QR Bench front vise as well. I'll do a review and installation pics once I get my hands on them. I particularly like the fact that the quick release is activated by a separate lever and not by backing off the vise. I also like that they have a glue gaurd which prevents glue from getting on the guides and the screw and no grease from the screw onto the project, seems very well designed. I also got the bench top back from drum sanding so I should be able to make good progress this weekend. What an exciting project, can't wait to put it to use. I actually could have used the bench to build the bench through out the whole project. LOL

Dick Mahany
03-07-2013, 7:44 PM
Well, I ordered the other 2 vises from Veritas, what a bunch of fantastic folks..................

Agree totally on Veritas. I have many of their products and thy are all best in class IMHO. I have the twin screw vise and it is a joy to use. 10 years, no problems. Class outfit for sure.

Bill Wyko
03-08-2013, 2:48 PM
A little more progress today, did the tenon for the end vise. Have to leave for a wedding in a bit.

Don Bullock
03-19-2013, 12:06 PM
Bill, your bench is looking great and is inspiring!! I love the Greene & Greene touches. One of my current (ongoing) projects is a Greene & Greene inspired table. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your bench project.

John C Bush
03-19-2013, 3:42 PM
Beautiful bench Bill,

I made my first, and still functioning, workbench as well as most of my other projects, following the style of Dumb and Dumber!!

Bill Wyko
03-21-2013, 7:35 PM
On to the condor tails.

Bill Wyko
03-22-2013, 4:15 PM
To fit the pins, I rout out the bulk of material about 1/4" deep. Then I chisel out to the lines. At this point I mark the sides of the tails with a pencil and drive them in slightly. Then I remove the tails which have now left pencil lead on the pin side. I use a chisel to fine tune the pins until the tails fit snug. Next I use a pattern makers router bit to cut to full depth and clean up the rounded corners witha chisel.