PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman...craftsman ..Eveywhere

Marc Prudhomme
03-03-2013, 5:13 PM
Looking for a good used cabinet style tablesaw on craigslist ...Its amazing how many craftsman are out there that you have to weed through....Its hard to find any good contractor saws out there like the Rigid 3650...It seems that people hold on to these saws for dear life....thinkin about going with the grizly hybrid for under 1000...would be nice to find a Delta Unisaw for about 300 but good luck with that...I will keep looking for a while...anyone know of any other sights to look for used machinery other than craigslist or Sawmill creek?
Marc

Matt Day
03-03-2013, 5:23 PM
The used saws are out there, you just have to be diligent checking CL and be patient. I have a bit of a problem as my wife would say, but I check the CL tool section every time I sit down at the computer as part of my routine.. Takes only a minute if you do it a couple times a day. I also check it on my iphone, and have a CL app to search other cities.

There's also classifieds on Woodnet, Woodweb, there's ebay, and there are some liquidation/auction sites..

If you're going to spend $1000 on a saw, it better be a full cabinet saw IMO.

Jim Matthews
03-03-2013, 5:50 PM
Meanwhile, good quality Delta 14" bandsaws (and their distant cousins) are available nearly every day.

Dan Masshardt
03-03-2013, 6:12 PM
Meanwhile, good quality Delta 14" bandsaws (and their distant cousins) are available nearly every day.

Not around me. :-(. Only the really distant cousins.

Bill Geibe
03-03-2013, 8:46 PM
I don't know as I'd cross all of the Craftsman contractor and hybrid saws off your list. Some of the newer ones are supposed to be pretty good and on par with the Ridgids (I owned a Ridgid 3660, BTW, and it was an excellent saw). Don't ask me which Craftsman models, though. You'll have to do your homework on that.

I know what you mean about the ancient models that show up and some people still want an arm and a leg for them.

Bill

Rich Engelhardt
03-04-2013, 8:37 AM
Meanwhile, good quality Delta 14" bandsaws (and their distant cousins) are available nearly every day.I'm w/Dan on this - not around me they haven't been.
On the rare occasion they show up, they get snatched up long before I can even call on them - or - they want some absurd price for it.

Huck Schwee
03-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Any reason why you are interested in the Ridgid 3650 and not the 4512? I have the 4512 and it has been excellent so far, especially for less than $500 and new with lifetime warranty.

George Armstrong
03-04-2013, 12:16 PM
Does the fence lock down on both ends of the 4512?

Paul Wunder
03-04-2013, 6:04 PM
Don't pass by all Craftsman. If you can find a model 22140 at $300 or less take a look. It is a Hybrid full cabinet saw with a Biesmeyer Commercial Fence. It was made by Orion (the predecessor to Steel City and Ridgid) and had cabinet mounted trunnions and weighs over 450 pounds. Below is a link to the Fine Woodworking Review. Pay more attention to what the "Users" said.

http://tinyurl.com/cwq578d

Jay Park
03-04-2013, 7:24 PM
$300 is a great price for a Craftsman 22124. Paid $550 for mine, and would do again in a heart beat.

Marc Prudhomme
03-04-2013, 9:32 PM
I had the 3650 and I sold it when I moved down south...I loved the saw with the cast iron wings....I do believe that the 4512 are stamped

Marc Prudhomme
03-04-2013, 9:34 PM
Any reason why you are interested in the Ridgid 3650 and not the 4512? I have the 4512 and it has been excellent so far, especially for less than $500 and new with lifetime warranty.
I had the 3650 and I sold it when I moved down south...I loved the saw with the cast iron wings....I do believe that the 4512 are stamped

Joseph Tarantino
03-04-2013, 9:58 PM

not to divert the thread too much, but new ridgid stationary power tools DO NOT carry a lifetime warranty. they offer a 3 year guaranty and the new tool's original owner has the option of registering their qualifying tools with ridgid's lifetime service agreement. no registration, no coverage. their terms are here:

http://www.ridgid.com/tools/power-tool-warranty

i and family members own a boat load of ridgid handheld power tools, and many stationary power tools. IMHO, they offer great values.

regarding the extension wings of the 4512, they are stamped steel. i've two 3612 webbed CI wings should anyone be interested in retrofitting them to a 4512.

Matt Day
03-04-2013, 9:59 PM
Marc,
I'm confused here. What exactly are you looking for? New, used, contractor, hybrid, cabinet saw? Price range?
I'd pick up one of the cabinet saws if I were you.

Carl Beckett
03-04-2013, 10:09 PM
I just posted in the deals and discounts section, a grizzly 1023LT for $650, and a grizzly G0555 (?) bandsaw for $350

Both seem like gooD deals

In MA

Will Boulware
03-05-2013, 10:29 AM
My '88 craftsman, dime-a-dozen though it apparently is, was made by Emerson electric, who also made a shockingly similar saw that was painted orange and badged as a Ridgid. Cast iron wings, decent-enough motor for a contractor saw, and a trunion that isn't all that difficult to align. I like it for what I do. It's no cabinet saw, but neither is the Ridgid you referenced. For comparison purposes, I got mine for a whopping $250 and probably paid twice what you could find one for (mine came from a cabinet maker and I somewhat overpaid for it in order to get a good combination deal on some other stuff I was buying from him). It could stand a decent fence and miter gauge, but I can't think of a contractor saw on the market (barring the Sawstop) that doesn't also "need" these upgrades. If you're willing to throw $1,000 at a Griz, why not spend close to that on the Unisaw you mentioned? For that price, you can get a great old saw! (though I agree, that mythical $300 unisaw is a fairy tale. I've never seen one, and I don't believe in them! :D )

scott spencer
03-05-2013, 12:45 PM
The full size Emerson and TTI/Ryobi Craftsman contractor saws have nearly identical guts as the Ridgid 3650, which was also made by TTI/Ryobi. At one point, Emerson made the Ridgid saws too, and still owns the name. There's much lineage between those contractor saws, and many of the parts are interchangeable. Some of the Cman saws offered an upgraded fence that was fairly similar to the 3650's.....if you find one of them at the right price, there's potential to become darn near identical to the 3650. Even a saw with the old lame Emerson fence can get new life with a new fence like the Delta T2, Vega, or other. I wouldn't dismiss them based on the name plate.....same saw, different accessories.

The current R4512 is made by Dayton, and is quite a bit different. As is the former R4511, made by Steel City/Orion.

Chad Bender
03-05-2013, 12:55 PM
Just to add to the "don't discount all craftsman" crowd, I've got a 21833 hybrid that is very similar to some of the older Rigid saws. It's got steel wings that have never given me a lick of trouble, but they could be replaced if they bother you. Even with the steel wings, the saw weighs close to 300 lbs. And the riving knife is excellent. I payed ~$400 new a few years back, although today's price seems a bit higher.

Denny Rice
03-06-2013, 4:27 AM
Don't pass by all Craftsman. If you can find a model 22140 at $300 or less take a look. It is a Hybrid full cabinet saw with a Biesmeyer Commercial Fence. It was made by Orion (the predecessor to Steel City and Ridgid) and had cabinet mounted trunnions and weighs over 450 pounds. Below is a link to the Fine Woodworking Review. Pay more attention to what the "Users" said.

http://tinyurl.com/cwq578d

I agree about the zip code saw. I owned one for 7 years and it did everything I ask it to until I sold it. It WAS a good saw when it first came out, but Sears has done what they are best at: they take a good product and cheapen it to where if you were to purchase the one in the store today you would find drastic differences from older version. They have really taken a good saw and made it an oversized boat anchor. Keep looking for a used saw with the Biesy fence system on it, not the junk they have in the store now.

Bernie LeBlanc
03-06-2013, 8:53 AM
If you happen to be in NH, stop in at Brentwood Machine on rt.125 off 101 (half way between Manchester and the coast). It's about a mile south of 101. They are a Rockler dealer and in their basement is a whole lot of good used machinery. They sell the used machinery on consignment and you can get good deals.

I have a Jet cabinet saw and I've been very satisfied with it. I bought it 12 years ago and never had any issue with it.

Matthew Hills
03-06-2013, 9:29 AM
Saw all those Matt,,,wasn,t interested...but thanks for the leg work...:)

What did you not like about these specific saws?
The 1023 is quite well-regarded, and I would choose one over a contractor or hybrid.
Size should be better than a contractor (you can always cut down the fence if you don't want a full 52" table)

Matt

Marc Prudhomme
03-06-2013, 8:29 PM
If you happen to be in NH, stop in at Brentwood Machine on rt.125 off 101 (half way between Manchester and the coast). It's about a mile south of 101. They are a Rockler dealer and in their basement is a whole lot of good used machinery. They sell the used machinery on consignment and you can get good deals.

I have a Jet cabinet saw and I've been very satisfied with it. I bought it 12 years ago and never had any issue with it.
Thanks for the info Bernie..I checked out their website and they seem to have some Fair prices and Tax FREE...Heres the link...
http://www.brentwoodmachine.com/default.asp

Marc Prudhomme
03-06-2013, 9:00 PM
What did you not like about these specific saws?
The 1023 is quite well-regarded, and I would choose one over a contractor or hybrid.
Size should be better than a contractor (you can always cut down the fence if you don't want a full 52" table)

Matt
I didnt say that I didnt like them..I said that I wasn,t interested....Im, looking for a dirt cheap saw for now until I get desperate the I will pay a little more....holding out for that gem that someone doesnt know they have

Marc Prudhomme
03-06-2013, 9:12 PM
Marc,
I'm confused here. What exactly are you looking for? New, used, contractor, hybrid, cabinet saw? Price range?
I'd pick up one of the cabinet saws if I were you.
Im sorry to confuse you Matt...just trying to get some info on where to look for good deals....I would like to find something local so I can see , touch, listen and pick up myself...I really want a cabinet saw...but a hybrid or contractors would be ok....Im still just lookin...Hope that clears things up...I also like to hear everyones comments and opinions...its interesting and educational...

Joe A Faulkner
03-06-2013, 9:32 PM
...would be nice to find a Delta Unisaw for about 300 but good luck with that...I will keep looking for a while...... Marc

Marc, from my experience I'd agree with the "good luck with that" sentiment on finding a $300 Unisaw, but if you are willing to go $700-$1000 or so, I think you will find many more options. My experience has been that there are more 3 phase saws on the market that single phase.

Chris E Smith
03-06-2013, 10:10 PM
Watch for School district auctions too. I have purchased three Unisaws at auctions here in Texas when they were closing down the vocational programs in the schools ( don't get me started on the wisdom of that idea ) . I managed to upgrade my saw a little each time and made some money as well. You just have to know the value of what you are bidding on and be willing to spend the whole day there if it's a big auction.

Michael Mayo
03-07-2013, 12:19 AM
Well here is a $400 Unisaw at that NH store posted previously close enough to $300 to consider it not sure if you are in the northeast or not?

http://www.brentwoodmachine.com/product_p/prebmt102.htm

Don Bullock
03-19-2013, 12:21 PM
As a former owner of a Craftsman table saw (late '70s contractor model) the terrible fence on the saw was the major problem with it. In my opinion a good fence that is easy to use, accurate and easy to keep parallel to the blade is the most important part of a table saw. With a good quality blade the saw made great cuts. Setting up an accurate cut with the fence took forever.

Having said that, I'm thrilled with my SawStop and Incra fence combination. I'm so glad that I dumped the Craftsman and bought the SawStop. The accuracy of the Incra fence is very useful.