PDA

View Full Version : Dust Deputy vs Mini CVO6

John P. Smith
03-03-2013, 12:17 PM
A couple of years ago I purchased a Dust Deputy (during the period when the Mini CV06 was not available). I made a add-on platform to fit my Ridgid vac.

It worked OK, separating most of the dust/trash, but not all. This is after about 6 months of general shop clean-up, use with a belt sander and a sand blast cabinet.

You can't tell from that pic, but the filter is pretty clogged. Enough so that the filter restriction indicator on the vac is starting to show orange. Also, when I firat installed the DD, I had cleaned the underside of the motor housing, and it is now covered with dust. Lots of "stuff" is getting through the DD. I was never really happy with the performance of the DD, and I noticed that the Mini CV06 is available again, and on sale for $79.00. I decided to try one. I swapped them out yesterday.
Some comparison pics.

The black hose comes with the DD, it is a stiff plastic much like the hose that comes with a Craftsman or Ridgid vac. The shorter hose is fine for the CV06 since it is not as tall as the DD. The larger hole in the CV06 lid is somewhat offset by the diffuser plate that mounts about two inches below the opening.

The CV06 is much shorter, is not tapered but has the ramps inside to force debris downward. The inlet on the DD seems to me to be backward to good air flow. The hose slips over it, instead of into it. It tapers to a smaller size than it needs to be to accommodate a standard vac hose. I know they did that so it would accept more hoses, but it seems unnecessary since shop vac hoses are pretty much standardized, at least AFAIK. You can see how dirt accumulates on the end of the opening. It may not make a difference, but it just seems to be a unnecessary restriction.
Also, the DD inlet is horizontal, the CV06 is angled down. Anytime I vacuumed up a small solid piece (small pebble, scrap of wood, etc.) it would continue to circle the DD just below the inlet. Round and round she goes, making an annoying racket. The piece would only drop into the bucket after the vac was turned off, or if you blocked the hose inlet, stopping airflow. This seemed to me to be an indicator that the efficiency was not great, since the whole idea is to force any debris downward into the bucket, not suspend it in the cyclone.

Continued, have reached 8 pic per post limit.
jp

John P. Smith
03-03-2013, 12:25 PM
The Mini CV06 mounted and ready to go.

I blew all the dust from inside the vac and under the motor housing and installed a new CleanStream HEPA filter.

I just did this yesterday, so haven't used it much. But, I did have a messy shop to clean up. During use there was no debris that continued to circle the inside of the cyclone. When I finished the inside of the vac was still clean. The CV06, at first impression, seems to be a more efficient separator. Time will tell.
jp

William C Rogers
03-03-2013, 1:40 PM
Interesting thread. I just bought the DD mainly based on reviews and the Wood Whisper testing. I do know being anxious to test it I didn't tighten the screws holding it down and darn near everything went into the vac. So a small leak will affect performance of the DD. I do used a bag in my vac, so kind of hard to tell if much is escaping the DD. Post again when you get some time on the CV06.

Thomas Hotchkin
03-03-2013, 3:49 PM
John
I use a filter bag inside my shop vac, so far I have not had to clean motor filter in 4 years of use. I also have the DD set up like yours. Tom

Troy Turner
03-03-2013, 9:49 PM
I've had my DD for years and think it's a great addition to the shop...especially since I've never had any dust collection. I do get the occassional debris running around the cylinder, but I just block the air flow and it drops. I think I read somewhere that there's probably a leak that I haven't tried to find yet.

All and all, my vac stays very clean. I've only blown the filter out a few times, but that because I let the bucket get full and it all got sucked in there.

Be curious how the CV works out for you overtime.

Andrew Joiner
03-04-2013, 12:09 PM
So the clear view isn't a tapered cone. It looks like it does have the inner air ramp but the Deputy has no ramp. It will be interesting to see if there's much difference. Thanks for posting this John. Please keep us updated.

Mark W Pugh
07-03-2013, 7:09 AM
So, how did the Clear Vue work? I am in the market.

Thanks