PDA

View Full Version : Paper Cutting......what's the right machine?

Steve Clarkson
03-03-2013, 11:06 AM
I've seen some amazing examples of cut paper on here recently and it got me thinking about what is the best machine to do this.

Galvo Laser - Seems to be the fastest and most accurate way to cut intricate shapes......but the drawback is the price......what $10-20,000???

CO2 Laser - Again, cuts accurately and quickly but leaves a scorched edge especially on white cardstock and you can't cut more than 1-3 layers at a time. Again, cost of $10,000+

Vinyl Cutter - Can paper be cut with this? I don't know since I don't have one......so for those who do, does it cut paper? If so, how well? Ballpark price of $5,000?

Die Cutting Craft Machines - These seem to work well for crafters and scrapbook people. Uses a blade to cut similar to a vinyl cutter, so there are no scorch marks. Speed is probably much slower than a laser. Some (like Cricut) are limited to the shapes they can cut, but others (Silhouette Cameo) apparently can cut any shape. Prices are under $500. Anyone have one of these?

What are your thoughts?

Rodne Gold
03-03-2013, 11:44 AM
Vinyl cutters need a carrier or backing layer or the blade goes right thru and messes up the teflon strip on the machine , slowish too. You could use a flatbed cutter like this Zund http://www.globalimaginginc.com/equipment_finishing/flabedcutters.shtml but it is also real pricey. There really is nothing cheap out there that will do complex designs and fine filligree type stuff at production type speeds
Here's a site that reviews some of the personal die cutters
http://die-cutting-machines-review.toptenreviews.com/

Mohammed Issa
03-03-2013, 11:58 AM
hey steve,

my cousin JUST got his chinese vinyl cutter to run this morning. i will ask him to try paper, but do you have a picture of what your trying to do?
there might be limitations like Rodney said, but i dont mind running a few tests with his machine if that helps. but i just need a little more info on what you're trying to accomplish.

thanks,

Scott Shepherd
03-03-2013, 12:06 PM
Vinyl plotter isn't going to work. Paper is extremely abrasive. As Rodney mentioned, you need a carrier, something it'll stay stuck to while it cuts. Without that, you'll be fighting it. You might get through a couple of small projects, but it's certainly not the way to cut paper. If it was, it would be called a paper cutter, not a vinyl cutter :D

Steve Clarkson
03-03-2013, 12:11 PM

Something like this maybe.......or like I said, there have been a few posts on here with beautiful examples of laser cut paper. I've tried cutting paper with my laser before, but the burnt edges just don't look good IMHO. Again, I'm just wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are to different types of machines.

Rodne Gold
03-03-2013, 12:29 PM
That black cat machine looks like quite a nice tool for well under a grand...
http://die-cutting-machines-review.toptenreviews.com/black-cat-cougar-review.html
http://www.blackcatcutters.com/

Lee DeRaud
03-03-2013, 12:59 PM
What kind of quantities are you talking about? Dozens? Hundreds? Thousands?

My standard answer to a "right tool for the job" question is usually " the one you already have" unless you're just looking for an excuse to buy a new toy, er, tool. If that's the case, I'd say galvo laser, as it's the most flexible (and coolest) option on the "don't own already" list. I wouldn't consider anything specialized unless you already had jobs lined up that would pay for it.

Lee DeRaud
03-03-2013, 1:05 PM
Probably just ignorance on my part, but when someone says "die cutting", I envision a stamping operation with a fixed-shape die, not a beefed-up pen plotter. Explain please?

Michael Kowalczyk
03-03-2013, 3:50 PM
paper cutting.....what's the right machine?

Well of course a "Paper Cutter":D http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=CUsALUso1wH4UNw&pid=CommerceOnly $11.54 but wait if you order in the next 10 minutes, we'll (fill in the next part) Mine is "Steve will come to you place of business and personally demonstrate the many options you have with a new and improved, high tech, guillotine paper cutter and he promises not to leave any fingers behind because of the many new safety features but don't delay, you must call now." Sorry Steve your subject line was just too inviting.:)

Lee DeRaud
03-03-2013, 5:12 PM
Oh great, now I can't get the phrase "running with scissors" out of my head...

Dan Hintz
03-03-2013, 5:25 PM
I've tried cutting paper with my laser before, but the burnt edges just don't look good IMHO.

Steve,

Your settings are wrong, then... I did our wedding invites and response cards with the ULS. No charring, perfect cuts (little hearts and other cutouts with a second color showing through). It was a pale beige cardstock with medium-purple paper behind, so any charring would be immediately obvious.

The CO2 laser is the right tool, and if you want speed, the galvo is the perfect compliment. If you need a large work area, however, you'll need to step back to a carriage type of machine.

Ronald Erickson
03-03-2013, 6:09 PM
Our 2012 Christmas cards were cut with the laser... no problems with charring on any of the cuts. Now, they were not intricate at all so maybe the level of detail does come into play. If I get a chance this week, I'll make up something intricate to cut.

Dee Gallo
03-03-2013, 9:22 PM
Okay you guys, you are not helping Steve by leaving out your settings.

Steve, I would say you need to experiment of course because every paper type is different, but I have cut index and 30 pound decorative papers using 100 speed and between 15-30 power. 1000-2000 frequency. Now for regular 20 pound (printer paper) I use 100 sp/8-12 power/500 freq. For 130 pound watercolor paper, 100 sp/50 power/500 freq. All of these are from my 35w.

So you can see that different weights and types require different settings. "Paper" is just too generic a term.

cheers, dee

Mike Null
03-04-2013, 6:42 AM
I, too, have made decorative cuts in paper with no charring but I was playing and don't remember any settings.

Jiten Patel
03-04-2013, 9:18 AM
Paper cuts can be done with a flatbed.....need just the right setting....Dee managed to cut one of my designs a few years back with great results on white stock.

Galvo really is your best bet....fast, accurate, and fast!!! We know companies who cut paper using carriage systems and it works for them....it's just their price points are very high. We can bring ours down a little but then you have to factor in the cost of the machines.

Die-Cutting can work but as soon as you get into any real detail, forget about it. If you want bold large shapes, it's probably the most efficient way to go.

Kim Vellore
03-04-2013, 10:47 AM
When I was researching craft paper cutters it boiled down to KNK cutters, they have the highest cutting force allowing to cut metal foils or even emboss thin metal sheets.
Here is the link
http://knkusa.com/
Things like circuit are good for people who are not good with computers or not comfortable using a drawing package. The knk zing is supposed to compete directly with circuit with a lot more advantages for a low price.

Kim

Joe Hillmann
03-04-2013, 12:58 PM
One way to prevent burnt edges is to have the paper in a jig that allows air circulation above and below and does not touch the paper where it is being cut (a honeycomb table will leave burn marks where the beam crosses the table.) That, no air assist, and just enough power to cut through and you should get almost no charring.

Daniel Wolanski
03-04-2013, 1:01 PM
Steve,
What you have shown in your post is way too complex for die cutting. That was most certainly NOT die cut.

Jesse Anderson
03-04-2013, 1:36 PM
C02 lasers can cut through paper and not leave a burn mark. It take's little power to cut through paper. U can actually set the power low. The speed high. And i have did some cuts that turned out very nice. As for the coloring ? Maybe some white paint ?? I have cut through wood that is 1/4 thick and not gotten a very bad scorch mark. U can fine tune the settings to put a light brown mark on the paper. Or cut all the way through it.

David Rust
03-04-2013, 9:50 PM
I've seen some amazing examples of cut paper on here recently and it got me thinking about what is the best machine to do this...

...CO2 Laser - Again, cuts accurately and quickly but leaves a scorched edge especially on white cardstock and you can't cut more than 1-3 layers at a time. Again, cost of $10,000+...

What are your thoughts?

Steve,

I cut a lot of scrapbook paper (standard 65lb weight card stock), I have an Epilog Helix, 60watt (no not just for cutting paper we also do a lot more).

We consistently get great results, no char or smoke on white paper, my settings are 100S/18P/500-800Freq, No air assist. Just remember to leave the "Resolution at 600dpi" this caused me all kinds of problems until we figured out that resolution has an effect on vector cutting... (this doesn't seem to be a well known fact, less than 600 will cause jitter in the vector curves. This gets progressively worse the lower the resolution setting, I assumed incorrectly that resolution was strictly a raster setting)

Another note... We cannot cut multiple layers of paper without getting smoke/char damage between the paper layers, single layer cuts only if you want non-smoked/charred results.

Daniel Wolanski
03-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Probably just ignorance on my part, but when someone says "die cutting", I envision a stamping operation with a fixed-shape die, not a beefed-up pen plotter. Explain please?

Die Cutting is typically done with a steel rule die. You can search the web and find out what they look like. They are relatively cheap but you cannot get very complex with them. I have a video on my site showing what a steel rule die is and how it makes parts if you are interested. Just search my company in the tag line.

Martin Boekers
03-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Steve, as others have said it is possible to cut without charring. Make sure the paper is absolutly flat.

Another thing, there should be scrapbooking shops in your area. Search them out and pay a visit.
Find out what they use or recommend, plus you may get some future work from them.

Lee DeRaud
03-05-2013, 1:05 PM
Die Cutting is typically done with a steel rule die. You can search the web and find out what they look like. They are relatively cheap but you cannot get very complex with them. I have a video on my site showing what a steel rule die is and how it makes parts if you are interested. Just search my company in the tag line.You pretty much made my point for me: the operations shown on your video are what I think of as "die-cutting".

The KNK/BlackCat widgets are a completely different technology, using blades rather than dies. It's like somebody in their marketing department said, "Die cutters cut shapes out of sheet stock, our machine cuts shapes out of sheet stock, therefore our machine is a 'die cutter'."