PDA

View Full Version : Any carpenters out there

Zahid Naqvi
05-06-2005, 3:48 PM
I have been contemplating converting my covered porch into a sun room for quite a while now. But having zero construction experience I have no idea how much; cost, time, labor, experience is involved. What would be a good way to get started, not the actual work but just to evaluate what it would take.

Inspired by Frank's shop project and some others making extensions to existing structures.

Chris Rosenberger
05-06-2005, 4:02 PM
It is very difficult to answer any of your questions without alot more information.
Size? Pictures? Current costruction?
Are you going to do the work yourself?

Chris

Zahid Naqvi
05-06-2005, 4:05 PM
Are you going to do the work yourself?

That's the idea. Regarding the pictures, still without digital camera :( but Dennis is coming over this Sunday perhaps I can ask him to bring along his digital camera ;) ;)

Scott Loven
05-06-2005, 4:05 PM
Start with a few books on basic home construction or additions. What does it look like now, and what do you want it to look like? Where do you live? Try this link. (http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_improvement/home_improvement/1275681.html?page=1&c=y)

Scott

Richard Wolf
05-06-2005, 4:26 PM
One thing to be addressed is , are you going to add mechanicals, ie. heat, electric and water. These items are going to require a contractor to accomplish which will greatly add to the cost of the project.
You now have a covered porch, if it is a concrete slab, most likely it does not have footings to carry a wall load, so escavation work will need to be done, along with pouring concrete.
A project like this is not out of the range of a homeowner but it does take a great deal of planning and more time than you think to complete. By no means it is a project that ,"I have a week off and nothing to do" kind of thing.

Richard

Jeff Sudmeier
05-06-2005, 4:47 PM
Even if the covered porch is elevated, you still need to figure out if the posts and beams are large enough to carry the extra, concentrated weight of the walls. Most of the time they are, but sometimes they are not.

This is definately a project that a woodworker can handle, but you need to do your homework. Some books on carpentry would be a great start!