PDA

View Full Version : Wide Poplar

Patrick Lee Hiatt
05-08-2003, 6:06 PM
I just got a shipment of poplar in from one of my lumber dealers yesterday and I had a few boards that were over 19"
wide, and the boards were not even cut close to the pith of the tree! That was one big tree. Its only going for paint grade cabinets but they sure are nice boards (no green).

Steve Clardy
05-08-2003, 8:02 PM
mainly in Red Oak from my supplier. I throw them back for future table tops, etc.
I got a 6/4 12' Red Oak here while back that measures 16 1/2" wide, not a defect in it. No twist, warp, nothing. It to will make two board table top someday.:D
Steve

Ken Salisbury
05-08-2003, 8:22 PM
<p align="center">I can top that !!</p>

I have a walnut board in the garage that is 18" wide, 2 ½" thick, 11' long --- absolutley blemish free. Have had it for 4 years. Someday I will come up with a deserving project for this "wonderful" piece of lumber

Tom Stovell
05-08-2003, 8:38 PM
Ken,
Just out of curiosity, how many pens could be turned from that chunk of walnut?

Tom

Jim Becker
05-08-2003, 9:00 PM
Originally posted by Patrick Lee Hiatt
I just got a shipment of poplar in from one of my lumber dealers yesterday and I had a few boards that were over 19"
wide, and the boards were not even cut close to the pith of the tree! That was one big tree. Its only going for paint grade cabinets but they sure are nice boards (no green).

Wide poplar was used for the table tops and drop leaves of a number of antique 1870s tables I've seen. I have one tree on my property that could possibly yield that kind of material, or at least close to it!

FYI, poplar also finishes up nicely as "real wood". The green will brown out with a little exposure to sunlight and with dyes, I've been able to make some very nice furniture. You can see some examples on my site in the project article about the bedroom furniture I made for my nieces. One picture is shown below.

Craig Howard
05-08-2003, 10:56 PM
Reminds me of a project last year. Curved handrail from a chunk of 12/4 Mahogany, about 18" x 12'. Initial cuts had to be done on the bandsaw. That was an adventure. :-)

Craig

robertfsmith
05-11-2003, 10:13 PM
Poplar trees get pretty big. When ever we saw poplar, I get a few logs that I can cut about 7-10 boards 22" wide off each log. I love sawing poplar; it cuts like butter on the head rig. The logs are always nice and straight and big. It's the easiest cutting tree to send through the mill.

By the way Ken, I can top yours.

I have a 2, 22 1/4" wide Red Oak boards 6' long without a sigle blemish, it was 12' but I had to cut it to move around my shop. :p And I just bought 3,200' of walnut and butternut logs and will be sawing some 20"+ 8/4. But these aren't clear, their will be knots and crotch figure. Should make some nice table tops.

Later,
Rob