PDA

View Full Version : Folks,don't throw out your old bench top drill press yet!

ken masoumi
03-02-2013, 3:47 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/jimsz/DrillPressMod002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/jimsz/DrillPressMod003.jpg

These are pics from a router forums.com member (JimS),it's a great idea if it dosen't flex and can be kept 90 degree to the table.I like it .

John Hays
03-02-2013, 10:13 PM
I don't understand the point of that set up... am I missing something here?

Rich Riddle
03-02-2013, 10:16 PM
I don't understand the point of that set up... am I missing something here?

I believe it is to show you that you can get a deeper drilling ability than with the stock column. I am just hoping it doesn't earn someone a trip to the emergency room.

John Hays
03-02-2013, 10:23 PM
I believe it is to show you that you can get a deeper drilling ability than with the stock column. I am just hoping it doesn't earn someone a trip to the emergency room.

Okay, I'll buy that... BUT... your quill travel is still going to be the same, so I don't really see much of an advantage. And yes, I also wouldn't trust the stability of a rig like that.

Rich Riddle
03-02-2013, 10:50 PM
Okay, I'll buy that... BUT... your quill travel is still going to be the same, so I don't really see much of an advantage. And yes, I also wouldn't trust the stability of a rig like that.We agree on all points. That set-up would possess some serious limitations.

Bill Wyko
03-03-2013, 1:05 AM
I personally think it's a great idea if all you need is the ability to drill farther across a piece. Granted it doesn't give you a deeper plunge but I don't think it was the reason for the modification, well done.

Mike Cutler
03-03-2013, 7:19 AM
I'm fairly certain it's pretty stable, maybe a little too much Steam Punk for my taste,but stable. Two 90's, two close nipples, and a union, are going to be pretty stiff, especially as they would have to be 2" pipe. You'll rip it out of the table before those CI pipe parts flex. The head might rotate, but there won't be flex. The bigger issue would be alignment. Pipe elbows will be pretty close to 90 degrees, face to face, but not exactly. I guess that table would accommodate that.
The original quill to column distance is about 5", so it look like there's an extra 6" or so, and the lower speed on that drill press is a little over 600RPM. Too fast for large Forstner's,hole saws, and a lot of metal work, but good for wood bits. As long as it's used with twist drills, Brad Points, and smaller Forstner's on wood, it should be fine.

Jay Rasmussen
03-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Great idea for those with a small space or on a tight budget.

Getting the center axis of the spindle perpendicular to the table could be a little challenging.

John P. Smith
03-03-2013, 10:28 AM
The only part I don't understand is why two short nipples and a coupling for the horizontal run. Why not just a solid length of pipe the same overall length? Maybe I am missing something, or, it is just what he had on hand.

Bryan Cramer
03-03-2013, 10:38 AM
I have the same drill press. This is a great idea! I do large scroll work portraits, so a deeper reach would be welcome. The machine isn't designed for large bits, but for micro bits I use to drill stater holes it is fine. Even if it is not as stable as the original, I won't be doing heavy work with it anyway.

Myk Rian
03-03-2013, 12:13 PM
I personally think it's a great idea if all you need is the ability to drill farther across a piece. Granted it doesn't give you a deeper plunge but I don't think it was the reason for the modification, well done.
My thoughts exactly. Some people just don't look outside the box.
It's not going to send someone to the hospital.

Matt Day
03-03-2013, 2:37 PM
Great idea! I might have to pick up a Craigslist special and modify it if I ever have the need for more drilling depth. If anyone is concerned about stiffness they've never worked with schedule 40 pipe!

Thanks for posting

Andrew Joiner
03-03-2013, 3:43 PM
You can mount a drill press on the ceiling if you flip the head. Then you can drill to center of a circle only limited by your room size (or arm length). I bought a radial drill press because it's easy to flip the head for a ceiling mount.

Thomas Hotchkin
03-03-2013, 4:07 PM
Ken
Thanks for post, great idea. 20" drill-press for very little money. Tom

ken masoumi
03-03-2013, 6:36 PM
My thoughts exactly. Some people just don't look outside the box.
It's not going to send someone to the hospital.
+2.
I have a bench top DP (8" swing)and many times I needed to drill a wider board and had to use a hand drill instead ,this a good way around it IMO.
I'm glad most of you like the post and the pics,or at least find it interesting.

David L Morse
03-03-2013, 6:42 PM
Replace that coupling with a union and you have a radial dp.;)