PDA

View Full Version : Comparing two types of paring chisels

Glenn Samuels
03-02-2013, 3:17 PM
I had an earlier post about softness of my Sorby paring chisels and the difficulty with the edges rolling rather easily. I have a couple of alternatives and I could use some input. I have spoken with Stuart at Tools of Japan and his recommendation is his Umeki - Shinogi / Detail Chisels by Koyamaichi. The other thought that I had were Blue Spruce paring chisels. I do know that either of these chisels is quite a bit more expensive than the Sorby's. I'd like something that I can use for many years (with minimal aggrevation) and if I have to only get 2-3 for now, then that is ok with me.

If you have experience with either of these manufacturers, would you please share your opinion. Thanks

Rick Fisher
03-02-2013, 5:14 PM
I have both Tasai Paring chisels and Blue Spuce Paring chisels.

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m455/jokerbird_photo/P1020548.jpg

The Tasai would be comparable to the Koyamaichi for the purpose of comparison ..

They are different.. They hold an edge longer but take longer to sharpen. The are also much bigger and thicker. In that photo, the cranked chisels on the right are Henry Taylor.. They don't hold an edge IMO as good as the Blue Spruce but are still fine chisels too..

I think its a personal taste thing. You will find one or the other more comfortable to use, or just have to pick one and get used to it.

Your comparing IMO the best domestic chisels ( one of ) to very good Japanese chisels, so neither is a bad choice.

Chris Vandiver
03-02-2013, 9:18 PM
The Koyamaichi chisels are a very good value. You will not be disappointed. Like all chisels, they need to be set up properly to perform to their potential.

Jack Curtis
03-02-2013, 9:35 PM
The Koyamaichi chisels are a very good value. You will not be disappointed. Like all chisels, they need to be set up properly to perform to their potential.

True, but the Tasai are available in ultra-thin, which are the best paring chisels I've ever used.