PDA

View Full Version : It’s nice to have friends….

Arnold Dyer
03-02-2013, 2:02 PM
One of my logging buddies call me last night. He told me to come by the job site today.
Said he had something he thought I might want. I wasted no time this morning heading out.
When I got there I found this red maple log that he cut in chunks for me. I would appreciate
any suggestion on how best to cut/utilize these pieces. Sadly I only have a 12” lathe right now.

Thanks,

AD

Ted Calver
03-02-2013, 2:06 PM
Nice! You're gonna need a bigger lathe:)

Arnold Dyer
03-02-2013, 2:40 PM
Nice! You're gonna need a bigger lathe:)

You are right Ted, but right now my budget says no!:mad: I am really wanting the 1.5 hp 110v
16" Jet. Any thoughts on this lathe?

Brian Kent
03-02-2013, 2:57 PM
Some of the most beautiful burl bowls and Hollow Forms I have seen here are much less than 12" diameter. :)

On the other hand your lathe is on sale at Woodcraft for $1,995 with free shipping.

Or the equivalent Grizzly is $1,594 with shipping.

Or the 18" Grizzly GO733 is $1,845 with shipping.

It is our job to feed the temptation, right?

(…and just to talk you down off the fiscal cliff, I am ecstatic with my 12" lathe.)

On the other hand if you bought all of that burl, it would cost you at least $2,000, right :D ?

Arnold Dyer
03-02-2013, 3:11 PM
Hey...good point Brian!!! Since I just saved $2000 I can go buy my Jet, right :D ? Only wished it was that easy!

Brian Kent
03-02-2013, 3:15 PM
If you are like me, money is no object. Unfortunately, the people who sell those things actually want some. So we have to wait until money is an object in our pockets!

charlie knighton
03-02-2013, 4:04 PM
jet 1642 was about $1500 new summer of 08, so probably only $100 more next year, $200 the year after that

nice looking maple, even 10 inch bowls will look good that are made from that wood, if anchosealed and kept in shade should last for a while

Dan Forman
03-02-2013, 4:47 PM
A good friend indeed! The good news as far as lathe size is concerned: although the log is big, the individual burls are not, and the good figure will be found more in the individual burls. I would try to utilize the individual burl caps as much as possible, and not worry much about the rest of the wood in between them. Those caps look to be well within the working range of your lathe. Sell a few of the resulting bowls, and contribute to the new lathe. :)

Dan

Jerry Marcantel
03-02-2013, 4:54 PM
Nice haul, Arnold. You'll get to them one of these days, and a 12" lathe is just right for those burls...Anything larger just presents a larger danger of launching it.......... Jerry (in Tucson)

Brian Kent
03-02-2013, 4:58 PM
Nice haul, Arnold. You'll get to them one of these days, and a 12" lathe is just right for those burls...Anything larger just presents a larger danger of launching it.......... Jerry (in Tucson)

And that is why I am glad I am not starting off with a gigantor burl-flinging lathe!

Ted Calver
03-02-2013, 7:26 PM
You are right Ted, but right now my budget says no!:mad: I am really wanting the 1.5 hp 110v
16" Jet. Any thoughts on this lathe?
Arnold,
I went from a Jet mini to a PM 4224 and haven't turned on anything else. Dan nailed it with his comments about the good wood being in the burl caps. You will have plenty of fun with your lathe until something different comes along

Arnold Dyer
03-02-2013, 8:08 PM
Thanks to all for the pointers. I have anchersealed and placed in the dry to cure. Yes, will limp along a while longer with my "old" 12" lathe :( but I have always like the bigger "toys" better!

Thomas Canfield
03-02-2013, 8:44 PM
I hope you have a big chain saw or a friend with one It looks like there is a lot of cutting and selecting ahead for you. That looked like a truck full for sure.

Chip Sutherland
03-02-2013, 10:39 PM
Wow...what a friend indeed. Can I be his friend, too? I bet you could do some burl trading with friends that do have bigger lathes. I would certainly make that deal with a friend who was in your predicament. Camaraderie.

Arnold Dyer
03-03-2013, 6:55 PM
Wow...what a friend indeed. Can I be his friend, too? I bet you could do some burl trading with friends that do have bigger lathes. I would certainly make that deal with a friend who was in your predicament. Camaraderie.

I'm sure you could...probably the only requirement would be a bowl ;) !